Should twins be in the same class in secondary school?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Should twins be in the same class in secondary school?

Postby Dreamybee » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:55 am

My twins were in same class in primary school for 6yrs..

Nw that they r posted to Montfort sec, they r going to different classes..

Their results r only 2 marks different so can't b based on results for separation.. They r in express class though..

I hv mixed feelings abt different class.. Pls advise..

Thank u..

Dreamybee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ksasalways » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:52 am

Firstly, merry Christmas to you.

Back to ur question, what exactly is ur concern if the two will be in diff class?

ksasalways
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ycpang » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:06 am

I believe you could make special request to school to put them in the same class. Having say that, It may not be a bad thing for them to be in different class.

ycpang
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby autolycus » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:58 am

Professionally, I'd say you should ask for them to be put them in different classes. They will probably get together after school and during recess anyway, and learn more than if they were both in the same class learning the same thing the same way twice over.

In the end, they will have richer experiences separately while at least being in the same building!

autolycus
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Dreamybee » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:59 pm

Merry Christmas to all!

I think I will let them go different classes n see hw. If the school separates them, I will b comparing the teachers, their hmwk n teaching style..

It might b gd to treat them as an individual rather than being twins..

Dreamybee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Should twins be in the same class in secondary school?

Postby Ah Yen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:19 pm

Being a twin myself and having go through same school and class (except in secondary sch) with my younger twin sister, I feel the best is if we had gone to different sch.

One of the twins tend to rely on another for social circle etc usually the older one which makes the older twin less sociable. You can't tell that the person is less sociable from outwards but the person does feel inadequate when she grows up and has to make friends. Another valid reason to go separate school is that they will then be more popular with the opposite sex. Most guys are confused - like which one should they choose and on what ground since they look so similar?

Ah Yen
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby oliveminx » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:43 pm

Ah Yen wrote:Most guys are confused - like which one should they choose and on what ground since they look so similar?

Guys dun pick girls just based on looks. Maybe yes when they are younger and immature. But if they are that superficial, the relationship won't last so no big loss.

My observation is that twins who go to different classes develop differently because of different experiences. While you want them to have their own friends, I think it's important that they have mutual friends as well. Academically, it's the luck of the draw, eg. one gets better teachers and the other gets worse teachers.

oliveminx
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby beemer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:50 pm

As parent of twins myself, I see it is beneficial to separate them. This will eliminate the risk of the weaker one comparing the result with his/her stronger sibling. Trust me, they compare. Often, this has adverse effect on developing an inferior complex or stereotyped which is an irreversible effect.

beemer
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby pinkapple » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:06 am

beemer wrote:As parent of twins myself, I see it is beneficial to separate them. This will eliminate the risk of the weaker one comparing the result with his/her stronger sibling. Trust me, they compare. Often, this has adverse effect on developing an inferior complex or stereotyped which is an irreversible effect.

different class also will compare since it's the same common test right?

pinkapple
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pinkapple » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:08 am

oliveminx wrote:... Academically, it's the luck of the draw, eg. one gets better teachers and the other gets worse teachers.

Yup. that's one possible benefit of having them in diff classes. then if one gets a not-so-good teacher, the other can help and share what his "better" teacher has taught him.

pinkapple
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection