NJC vs MGS (SBC)

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

NJC vs MGS (SBC)

Postby jabroni » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:03 pm

Any views / comments on relative merits of each ?

If asked to make a choice, which would you choose and why ? From a boy or girl perspective ?

jabroni
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: NJC vs MGS (SBC)

Postby ycpang » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:39 pm

jabroni wrote:Any views / comments on relative merits of each ?

If asked to make a choice, which would you choose and why ? From a boy or girl perspective ?

Boys cannot choose MGS la....

ycpang
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby autolycus » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:51 pm

This might seem a bit obvious, but MGS has much more experience running a secondary course and handling primary-to-secondary transitions than NJC has. Academically, MGS's SBC is based on GEP principles.

autolycus
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby lizawa » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:01 am

MGS is an independent school and NJC not. So the school fees for MGS is much higher than NJC. I think MGS will have more children from more privileged background, especially since they have an affiliated primary school and most of them will choose to continue their education in the secondary level. So the profile of the kids will be different in both schools.

NJC has a 6-year through train programme. I believe this year's P6 will not benefit from MGS newly attained IP-status yet.

MGS is a mission school, so i think it will appeal more to parents who want their children to be immersed in such an enviornment. I supposed they will inculcuate some Christian values in the girls. I know a number of MGS girls whose mothers and grandmothers were all from the MGS family.

I think all schools have their fair share of good and bad teachers and alot also depends on the students, especially at secondary level.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby autolycus » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:02 am

MGS's first IP batch is scheduled to launch at Year1 in 2013, although it may be as early as in 2012. The main problem with NJC, as various parents have noted, is that they are relatively inexperienced with handling lower secondary students making the difficult transition from P6 to S1.

autolycus
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sinoboy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:14 am

autolycus wrote:MGS's first IP batch is scheduled to launch at Year1 in 2013, although it may be as early as in 2012. The main problem with NJC, as various parents have noted, is that they are relatively inexperienced with handling lower secondary students making the difficult transition from P6 to S1.
What do you think are the transition problems faced by NJC students that the school did not handle well? :?

sinoboy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby phankao » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:59 am

sinoboy wrote:
autolycus wrote:MGS's first IP batch is scheduled to launch at Year1 in 2013, although it may be as early as in 2012. The main problem with NJC, as various parents have noted, is that they are relatively inexperienced with handling lower secondary students making the difficult transition from P6 to S1.
What do you think are the transition problems faced by NJC students that the school did not handle well? :?

Maybe the parents just need to grow up together with the students. ;D NJC year ones are treated almost like little adults - like upper secondary students/JC students. They are expected to be more indepedent and approach teachers or seniors for help if they are unsure or need to find out more.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dunnoleh » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:20 am

phankao wrote:... Maybe the parents just need to grow up together with the students. ;D NJC year ones are treated almost like little adults - like upper secondary students/JC students...
ya, NJC parents need to grow up together with their children.
can be a problem for some parents, like me! :lol:

dunnoleh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sky12_ » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:08 pm

phankao wrote:
sinoboy wrote:

Maybe the parents just need to grow up together with the students. ;D NJC year ones are treated almost like little adults - like upper secondary students/JC students. They are expected to be more indepedent and approach teachers or seniors for help if they are unsure or need to find out more.

Phew! It's good to learn to be independent in my opinion. I was a bit shocked when I saw the first post.

sky12_
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection