Chinese Orchestra DSA

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Chinese Orchestra DSA

Postby mdmtay » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi all,
My daughter, 11, is from Kong Hwa School. She is from Chinese Orchestra and has participated in 1 SYF (Gold with honours). (Nxt year, another one)

Her choice is Dunman High School and she has done well academically, and her behaviour is good as well (Senior Leader).
P1: First in class
P2: 2nd in class
P3: First in class
P4: 3rd in class, 3rd in level, Best in chinese

She is afraid that she might not do well, and her "Plan B" is DSA. Will DHS let my daughter in without any entry tests? And does she need a portfolio?

Thank you.
Regards,
Mdm Tay

mdmtay
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:00 pm

For musical groups, they normally will have an audition and interview.
To help her, she needs some evidence from the school to indicate that she did participate in SYF (and attained Gold with Honours).

Also, get the instructor/teacher-in-charge to write a testimonial for her too.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mommyNg » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:39 am

Also, did she take Chinese instrumental exams? I think either NAFA or NUS works. It will be much helpful if she has the grading certificate. Not sure what's DHS min grade required? I heard some schools admitted students with only Grade 2 while some required min Grade 6-7.

Do share with us her experience in DSA via Chinese orchestra!

mommyNg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Xnowy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi, my DD is currently at NYGH Chinese orchestra. she told me that many of her CCA members actually went in to NanYang Girls through DSA. what they need is p5 and P6 school results must above 80% then follow by an audition. (not depend on your grade). But I am not sure if everybody got a chance for audition or not.

Xnowy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Chinese Orchestra DSA

Postby phankao » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:05 pm

mdmtay wrote:Hi all,
My daughter, 11, is from Kong Hwa School. She is from Chinese Orchestra and has participated in 1 SYF (Gold with honours). (Nxt year, another one)

Her choice is Dunman High School and she has done well academically, and her behaviour is good as well (Senior Leader).

She is afraid that she might not do well, and her "Plan B" is DSA. Will DHS let my daughter in without any entry tests? And does she need a portfolio?

Thank you.
Regards,
Mdm Tay

Your girl's grades so good, no need to even worry about DSA via CCA, lah.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mommyNg » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:18 pm

Xnowy wrote:Hi, my DD is currently at NYGH Chinese orchestra. she told me that many of her CCA members actually went in to NanYang Girls through DSA. what they need is p5 and P6 school results must above 80% then follow by an audition. (not depend on your grade). But I am not sure if everybody got a chance for audition or not.

Oh really? My dd's school CO (external) teacher said for NYGH need at least Grade 6-7 for DSA! So you mean school results still more important than performance in the instrument (for CO)? So some students who applied DSA did not even get a chance to go for audition and they did or did not make it at the end? As for the school results your DD mentioned, is it referring to mainstream or GEP or doesn't matter? Which instrument does your DD play in CO?

Can PM you for more details? :lol:

mommyNg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Chinese Orchestra DSA

Postby Augmum » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:52 pm

mdmtay wrote:Hi all,

Thank you.
Regards,
Mdm Tay

For DHS, CO is one of their strongest CCA. (very demanding)
since yr daughter is currently in CO, very good chance of offer via DSA,
esp she is getting good academic results too.

Yr DD will need an audition for CO DSA.
in my gal’s class, quite a number of classmates are from tao nan and kong kwa.

agree that even if yr DD is not successful in DSA,
her consistent good results shd not be a prob to enter DHS.
u'll have to monitor her consistency when in P5 and P6 whereby most pupils experience the drop in results.

Fyi, DHS open house is on 28 May 2011.

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby phankao » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:56 pm

mommyNg wrote:
Xnowy wrote:Hi, my DD is currently at NYGH Chinese orchestra. she told me that many of her CCA members actually went in to NanYang Girls through DSA. what they need is p5 and P6 school results must above 80% then follow by an audition. (not depend on your grade). But I am not sure if everybody got a chance for audition or not.

Oh really? My dd's school CO (external) teacher said for NYGH need at least Grade 6-7 for DSA! So you mean school results still more important than performance in the instrument (for CO)? So some students who applied DSA did not even get a chance to go for audition and they did or did not make it at the end? As for the school results your DD mentioned, is it referring to mainstream or GEP or doesn't matter? Which instrument does your DD play in CO?

The girls that I know that got into NYGH under DSA for CO all play erhu. They all have at least grade 8 or 9. Some of them are finalists in National Competition, some are prizewinners. Not necessarily they have good academic grades - all have to do the GAT test anyway.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mommyNg » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:32 pm

phankao wrote:
mommyNg wrote:

The girls that I know that got into NYGH under DSA for CO all play erhu. They all have at least grade 8 or 9. Some of them are finalists in National Competition, some are prizewinners. Not necessarily they have good academic grades - all have to do the GAT test anyway.

ok, that is somewhat consistent with what I've heard - about being really outstanding in their instrument but not necessary good academic grades. phankao, do you know roughly what kind of school results these girls had (those that got into NYGH under DSA)?

Perhaps NYGH CO DSA also accept students who perform reasonably well in their instrument (though not outstanding) but also pretty good in academic results?

What about RGS and RVHS?

mommyNg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby phankao » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:37 pm

mommyNg wrote:
phankao wrote:

ok, that is somewhat consistent with what I've heard - about being really outstanding in their instrument but not necessary good academic grades. phankao, do you know roughly what kind of school results these girls had (those that got into NYGH under DSA)?

Perhaps NYGH CO DSA also accept students who perform reasonably well in their instrument (though not outstanding) but also pretty good in academic results?

What about RGS and RVHS?

I'm afraid I only so happen to know more about NYGH. I've not heard about RVHS, and I know that RGS doesn't take in under CO(CCA) for dSA, only under MEP (which most Chinese instrumentalists would be at a disadvantage unless they are also western-classically trained.)

I don't know about those that good academically but only average in their instrument (then take in under DSA for CO CCA for what? the girl might as well apply under academic). I think most get around 240-250+ (those that get CO DSA). Of course some end up doing exceptionally well too.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection