Possibility to enter Express Stream?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Possibility to enter Express Stream?

Postby mimi61 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi all, wanted to know if taking P6 - 2 standard and 2 foundation subjects be possible to enter Express Stream?

Thanking in advance. :?:

mimi61
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Possibility to enter Express Stream?

Postby kitty2 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:00 am

mimi61 wrote:Hi all, wanted to know if taking P6 - 2 standard and 2 foundation subjects be possible to enter Express Stream?

From what i heard,as long as you take foundation subjects,they'll be posted to Normal or Normal tech.I may be wrong.

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyBaby » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:18 am

kitty2 wrote:
mimi61 wrote:Hi all, wanted to know if taking P6 - 2 standard and 2 foundation subjects be possible to enter Express Stream?

From what i heard,as long as you take foundation subjects,they'll be posted to Normal or Normal tech.I may be wrong.

Yes, it seems that if doing foundation subjects, then child will be posted to Normal (Academic) or Normal (Technical) stream, depending on the T-score.

I feel what is important now is to ask child to focus on PSLE and do as best as he/she can. Then there is a higher chance of being accepted into the Normal (Academic) stream in a "better" school.

There has been alot of changes in the secondary school landscape. There are some students in N(A) who are also doing subjects that were previously offered in the Express stream only (like Additional Math).

MyBaby
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mimi61 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:30 pm

kitty2 wrote:

thks to kitty2. :wink:

mimi61
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mimi61 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:31 pm

MyBaby wrote:
kitty2 wrote:

Yes, it seems that if doing foundation subjects, then child will be posted to Normal (Academic) or Normal (Technical) stream, depending on the T-score.

I feel what is important now is to ask child to focus on PSLE and do as best as he/she can. Then there is a higher chance of being accepted into the Normal (Academic) stream in a "better" school.

There has been alot of changes in the secondary school landscape. There are some students in N(A) who are also doing subjects that were previously offered in the Express stream only (like Additional Math).

thanks to u..mybaby :wink:

mimi61
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ppnqq » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:13 am

kitty2 wrote:

Yea, but if your child do very well in sec, he/she still has a chance of being promoted to Express. Not to despair, just ask your child to do his/her best is the most important. :celebrate:

ppnqq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby pinkapple » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:24 pm

MyBaby wrote:

yup. besides that, some schools also offer some subjects (Mother Tongue, Math, EL, Sci, etc) at Express level to NA students.
The hope is for these students to cope better when they do get promoted to Express in Sec 2.
but if they don't, they can continue the subject at Express level while still in the NA stream and sit for the O subject at sec4 with the other N subjects.

pinkapple
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby meinteel » Fri May 20, 2011 12:14 am

As long as there is one foundational subjects, it is not possible. If you really want your child to go for Express stream, then your child must be prepared to work really hard in secondary school.

Given that he does well for secondary 1, he can move on to secondary 2 express. =)

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection