The Chinese Textbook: A Fair Estimate of Exam Expectations?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Do you find your child's Chinese Language textbook easier to read than a well-graded Chinese Composition for his/her grade?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes : 7

The Chinese Textbook: A Fair Estimate of Exam Expectations?

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:37 pm

I realized something odd about our primary school language textbooks today. The level of difficulty of the language printed in a Primary 5 textbook is about 2 years easier than the level of difficulty in the Primary 5 exams. After examining Little Boy's Chinese textbook in detail (something I have never done because I had never found them useful in preparing Little Boy for the exams, and therefore intuitively ignored them). It occurred to me to ask myself why today. Why don't I find school textbooks useful in preparing Little Boy for exams? Why did I spend years fighting with Grandma trying to get her to ignore the Chinese textbook when helping Little boy with Chinese? And why was it that Grandma's stubborn focus on the textbook produced a downward trend in Chinese grades?

These are obvious questions that I, like most parents, did not ask.

For more on this... http://petunialee.blogspot.com/2011/02/ ... tbook.html .

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Pen88n » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:57 pm

Actually, of all the textbooks, I only use the Chinese textbooks as the Chinese Paper 2 intiial sections test the words and phrases in the Chinese textbooks. The other English, Maths and Science textbooks are worst and no use at all - all can be thrown into rubbish bin and are of no use for exam preparation!

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:38 am

Oh! I didn't know that about the Chinese textbooks. Thanks for sharing. And yes... I think the Science textbooks are pretty thin too in view of the content tested in exams. The textbook teaches LESS so that the kids can learn MORE from... from... from the air and soil of Singapore.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bebe » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:08 pm

Even the workbooks are so simple..if our kids were to rely on them for exam/test..they would prob get borderline passes.

bebe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ANobleNerd » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:45 pm

I homeschool my son, and apart from the Chinese textbook (which is requested by his tutor) and the Math textbook, I totally didn't bother buying any of the other textbooks.

ANobleNerd
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: The Chinese Textbook: A Fair Estimate of Exam Expectatio

Postby matrix0405 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Chenonceau wrote:I realized something odd about our primary school language textbooks today. The level of difficulty of the language printed in a Primary 5 textbook is about 2 years easier than the level of difficulty in the Primary 5 exams. After examining Little Boy's Chinese textbook in detail (something I have never done because I had never found them useful in preparing Little Boy for the exams, and therefore intuitively ignored them). It occurred to me to ask myself why today. Why don't I find school textbooks useful in preparing Little Boy for exams? Why did I spend years fighting with Grandma trying to get her to ignore the Chinese textbook when helping Little boy with Chinese? And why was it that Grandma's stubborn focus on the textbook produced a downward trend in Chinese grades?

I totally agree with you.

matrix0405
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby teh_oh » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:53 pm

Hi,
Maybe essentially, schools' duty are to ensure that all students are to meet a certain minimum standard in proficiency level. The school's textbooks sure meet these minimum standards. It will ensure a pass. To do well, is the individual drive of parents and students. From there, they can source for the 1001 varieties of assessment from our neighbourhood Popular. :lol:

Having said that, what leaves me perplexed is that while the examination/education standard has become more challenging over the years, the textbooks standard did not catch up. This leaves a big gap between those who can afford external help and those who can't. Compared to the textbooks used in my time, I thought our textbooks are sufficient to tackle major exams comfortably. I still remembered that I relied only on one vocab assessment book, one english guidebook and one science guidebook to get 'A's for my 4 subjects. Quite decent to me considering no past year papers, assessment books or tuition whatsoever resources available at that time. Maybe the quality of teachers (in the past vs at present) played a part..... :!:

teh_oh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pixiedust » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:29 pm

teh_oh wrote:...what leaves me perplexed is that while the examination/education standard has become more challenging over the years, the textbooks standard did not catch up. This leaves a big gap between those who can afford external help and those who can't. Compared to the textbooks used in my time, I thought our ...

Totally agree !

I am thinking of buying Popular's shares :wink:

On top of that, the weightage for oral has increased (a disguised effort from MOE to "help" local pupils??) but the percentage of time spent on oral practises in school is the same as before.

PERPLEXing ! :stupid:

pixiedust
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: The Chinese Textbook: A Fair Estimate of Exam Expectatio

Postby Brenda10 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:05 am

Chenonceau wrote:I realized something odd about our primary school language textbooks today. The level of difficulty of the language printed in a Primary 5 textbook is about 2 years easier than the level of difficulty in the Primary 5 exams. After examining Little Boy's Chinese textbook in detail (something I have never done because I had never found them useful in preparing Little Boy for the exams, and therefore intuitively ignored them). It occurred to me to ask myself why today. Why don't I find school textbooks useful in preparing Little Boy for exams? Why did I spend years fighting with Grandma trying to get her to ignore the Chinese textbook when helping Little boy with Chinese? And why was it that Grandma's stubborn focus on the textbook produced a downward trend in Chinese grades?

I have no doubt of this analysis since we have gone through the P5 and now in P6. To do well in the exam we have to learn much more than what text books have taught.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby metz » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:19 pm

During my son's first P1 PT meeting last year(Mar/Apr), the teacher told me outrightly she expected her students to know (read, write and use) every single character in their Chinese textbooks well. That was only her minimum requirement.

I take it that to do well in Chinese, parents would have to coach their kids or send them enrichment centres for more exposure. :|
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection