Importance of PSLE

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Importance of PSLE

Postby ppnqq » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:56 pm

My friend was asked this question and the question was thrown to me, and now I shall throw this over to the forumers here :

WHY is PSLE so important? What is the significance of it? What is PSLE all about? Why ppl so kancheong about it? Well, these are the exact questions thrown to me :wink:

Seriously, I have never thought of this until Ive been asked, although I also have a child taking PSLE this year :oops:

But I think it is good to know, and we can share it with our children too. So I guess I still got to thank my friend's child who asked her about this.

Appreciate all feedback and comments on the topic. Thank you.

ppnqq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

My two-cents worth

Postby bwpj2000 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:15 pm

Here are just my two-cents worth:

Why is PSLE so important?
It assess how much you have learnt over the six years in primary school and then allocates you to a secondary school according to your abilities and/or choice.

What is the significance of it?
Well, employers of Singapore-based companies are particularly focussed on PSLE, GCE 'O' and 'A' levels score for recruitment, so a high PSLE T-score could get you a better job next time.

What is PSLE all about?
(see first question)

Why ppl so kancheong about it?
(see second question)

bwpj2000
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: My two-cents worth

Postby lemofish » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:33 pm

What is the significance of it?
Well, employers of Singapore-based companies are particularly focussed on PSLE, GCE 'O' and 'A' levels score for recruitment, so a high PSLE T-score could get you a better job next time.

Employers in Singapore do not look at PSLE scores.

lemofish
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jtoh » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:35 pm

No lah. Employers don't look at PSLE results.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby smurf » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:46 pm

Honesetly if u ask me, PSLE is NOT important at all other than to let students 'fight' among themselves. That's all. Does your overseas counterpart knows what is PSLE about? They dun because they dun even have exam all the way until p6.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:54 pm

PSLE score in itself is unimportant. But a good score opens up doors to good/popular schools. Pri school entry is based on gene pool and distance from home.

Entry to Sec school is based on merit (mostly, and in some cases gene pool [I'm referring to where there are affiliations and the child can get in with lesser psle marks than 'outsiders']). So herein lies my fixation with psle. :-)

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby shirley.tamzil » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:54 pm

I feel that the importance of PSLE has been over-stated over the years. I'm not saying it's not important, it is one of the exams our children got to go thru. An exam, that's it. Hope I can stay this cool when my children got to go through it... :celebrate:

shirley.tamzil
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:58 pm

why is PSLE so important ?

it is important if you want to make it important

it is unimportant if you make it unimportant

oh what stupid answers I give !!

it is important for those who want to go to good secondary schools

so what is a good secondary school ? why are some secondary schools or IP schools more popular than others ? there are many reasons.....just scan through this ksp website and all the discussion pages lor...

so what if one does not pass through the door of a "good" secondary school ? people still make a success of their life without going through "good" and popular and famous secondary schools.....after all there are only so many places available in the school......

well, it all boils down one's attitude to life (nothing +ve or -ve about it), or rather, a parent's attitude to the kid's life ........
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:00 pm

at the final analysis, after having put all my children through primary school, a good set of PSLE results help to secure a place in a good JC without the headache / heartache of nail biting GCE O levels
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:56 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:at the final analysis, after having put all my children through primary school, a good set of PSLE results help to secure a place in a good JC without the headache / heartache of nail biting GCE O levels

Agreed.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection