Looking for better 2nd & 3rd tier Secondary Schools

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Looking for better 2nd & 3rd tier Secondary Schools

Postby pixiedust » Sat May 14, 2011 9:57 am

A group of us P5 parents are looking for feedback on better 2nd & 3rd tier Secondary Schools.
COP in the range <241, probably 220-230, 230-240.

Would greatly appreciate any feedback you may have, whether positive or negative as it is difficult to find out the culture and general focus of the Secondary Schools.

So far we've the following from old discussions, lowest COP are based on old data so just a rough guage. Area grouping are loosely grouped, more important to us is the feedback about the actual school. THANKS in advance :

WEST
School of Science and Technology (240)
Commonwealth Secondary (236)
Swiss Cottage Secondary (234)
Clementi Town Secondary (230)

EAST
Ngee Ann Secondary (232)
Tanjong Katong Secondary (234)

CENTRAL
Maris Stella High School (232)
Last edited by pixiedust on Mon May 16, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pixiedust
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 7:31 pm
Total Likes: 4


Re: Looking for better 2nd & 3rd tier Secondary Schools

Postby BeContented » Sat May 14, 2011 10:28 am

Hi Pixiedust,
thanks for starting this for the group :love:

Yes yes :please: would appreciate any form of feedback. Thanks in advance.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:25 am
Total Likes: 84


Re: Looking for better 2nd & 3rd tier Secondary Schools

Postby JRLam » Mon May 16, 2011 12:37 am

Maybe we should add some of the 2nd-3rd tier sec schs in the central zone too? If we are willing to travel a bit farther just for the sake of the kids :)

For COP btw 230-240, I heard that Maris Stella is a good one too :)

JRLam
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:28 am
Total Likes: 1


Re: Looking for better 2nd & 3rd tier Secondary Schools

Postby ppnqq » Mon May 16, 2011 12:55 am

pixiedust wrote:A group of us P5 parents are looking for feedback on better 2nd & 3rd tier Secondary Schools.
COP in the range <241, probably 220-230, 230-240.

Would greatly appreciate any feedback you may have, whether positive or negative as it is difficult to find out the culture and general focus of the Secondary Schools.

So far we've the following from old discussions, lowest COP are based on old data so just a rough guage. Area grouping are loosely grouped, more important to us is the feedback about the actual school. THANKS in advance :

WEST
Swiss Cottage Secondary (234)
Commonwealth Secondary (236)
Clementi Town Secondary (230)

EAST
Ngee Ann Secondary (232)
Tanjong Katong Secondary (234)


Hi, thanks for starting this group. A few of my friends and myself also need such information. Mind expanding the areas to the whole island, ie, include North and South and also the range of 200-220 as well? I thought this can be a sticky and help to keep it neat and tidy. TIA.

ppnqq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:35 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Looking for better 2nd & 3rd tier Secondary Schools

Postby kaka » Mon May 16, 2011 12:55 am

I like to share that my Ds is in SST and he enjoys going to the school a lot. Admission is through DSA, heard that the PSLE mean score was about 240. If your kid like Science and Technology, this is a school to consider. You can find out more about the school in their open house this saturday.

kaka
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:42 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: Looking for better 2nd & 3rd tier Secondary Schools

Postby JRLam » Mon May 16, 2011 10:12 am

kaka wrote:I like to share that my Ds is in SST and he enjoys going to the school a lot. Admission is through DSA, heard that the PSLE mean score was about 240. If your kid like Science and Technology, this is a school to consider. You can find out more about the school in their open house this saturday.


Hi Kaka,

Can you share what he did in his DSA for SST? Has he been a high-achiever in his Science in Upper Pri? What were his scores, roughly? What do they learn or focus in SST that are different from the normal ones?

And what do you think he has or he did that help him to stand out from his peers to be accepted by SST?

Thanks alot for your sharing :)

JRLam
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:28 am
Total Likes: 1


Re: Looking for better 2nd & 3rd tier Secondary Schools

Postby teh_oh » Mon May 16, 2011 11:02 am

JRLam wrote:
kaka wrote:I like to share that my Ds is in SST and he enjoys going to the school a lot. Admission is through DSA, heard that the PSLE mean score was about 240. If your kid like Science and Technology, this is a school to consider. You can find out more about the school in their open house this saturday.


Hi Kaka,

Can you share what he did in his DSA for SST? Has he been a high-achiever in his Science in Upper Pri? What were his scores, roughly? What do they learn or focus in SST that are different from the normal ones?

And what do you think he has or he did that help him to stand out from his peers to be accepted by SST?

Thanks alot for your sharing :)

Hi Kaka,
How different are the curriculum to 'mainstream' schools? Any DSA via CCA options?
Thanks in advance.

teh_oh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:15 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Looking for better 2nd & 3rd tier Secondary Schools

Postby pixiedust » Mon May 16, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi Kaka, thanks for dropping into this thread to share with us. Really appreciate it ! SST is so new so any information would help us greatly.

To the rest - I will amend the first post with information as they come in and expand the areas/COPs accordingly.

It would help us greatly if the accompanying factor of good or not good can be mentioned. Good is subjective and we may have different yardsticks or criterias. Example. Good - a lot of homework and worksheets, Good - Teachers are caring, Good - the pupils are encouraged to be independent etc

pixiedust
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 7:31 pm
Total Likes: 4


Re: Looking for better 2nd & 3rd tier Secondary Schools

Postby kaka » Mon May 16, 2011 8:12 pm

JRLam wrote:Hi Kaka,

Can you share what he did in his DSA for SST? Has he been a high-achiever in his Science in Upper Pri? What were his scores, roughly? What do they learn or focus in SST that are different from the normal ones?

And what do you think he has or he did that help him to stand out from his peers to be accepted by SST?

Thanks alot for your sharing :)


Hi JRLam,
My DS did not prepare for the selection test as we took it as an activity rather than a test. We also did not know how to prepare. He found the test difficult especially the English paper as he is weak in the language. We were pleasantly surprise when he was selected to go for the 2nd round of test, which was a practical problem solving scenerio. He enjoyed the problem solving approach a lot and could not stop talking about it for the next few days.

His science was around the 75-85 range. Academically, he was an average student. However, from young, he liked to read encyclopaedia and road directories rather than story books. His science knowledge is thus broad but not that useful for PSLE. Thus I am grateful for the system that allow children to pursue their area of interest.

In this half a year, he enjoyed the school a lot as teaching is not about textbook and drilling. The teachers do not use textbook (except for CL), everything is done through the Mac Pro that every students will need to buy (be prepared to fork out about $2.9K). His favorite subject is ADMT (Arts, Design, Science and Technology) which is a subject unique to SST students.

kaka
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:42 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Looking for better 2nd & 3rd tier Secondary Schools

Postby kaka » Mon May 16, 2011 8:27 pm

teh_oh wrote:Hi Kaka,
How different are the curriculum to 'mainstream' schools? Any DSA via CCA options?
Thanks in advance.


The subject combinations for lower Sec are: Eng, Chin, Maths, Sci, Integrated humanities (Geo/his) and ADMT. The only different from mainstream is ADMT (there is no home econs, arts etc). There is also time for I&E (Innovation and Entrepreneurship). At the upper Sec, there were more applied Science subjects (eg Media studies, Biotechology) to choose from compare to mainstream school.

The class size is small at 20-25, the teachers have more time to support the children. The unique approach to learning is using the "Learning Device" ie Mac Pro.

From my understanding, there is no DSA via CCA option, everyone has to sit through the selection test.

Hope this helps. :smile:

kaka
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:42 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection