Rough gauge of PSLE grades to get into Express Stream

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Rough gauge of PSLE grades to get into Express Stream

Postby Angel2005 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:38 am

Hi,

I know the aggregate score is the main criteria secondary schools use to admit students, but can anyone tell me roughly if it's all As or a combination of As and Bs that will probably propel a child into Express Stream?
My daughter's grades have dropped dramatically since P5, and 3 of her subjects are in the 60s range while she has been failing Maths. If she does the same for PSLE, will that mean she will probably enter the Normal Stream? Am very worried for her self-esteem.

Angel2005
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Rough gauge of PSLE grades to get into Express Stream

Postby jtoh » Mon May 23, 2011 10:54 am

Express stream is 188 in some schools, 200 in others. You don't need to score all As to get into Express.

There's still time for your dd to work for her PSLE. Encourage her and maybe find her a good tutor for Math.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Angel2005 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:20 pm

Thanks for the info. Yah am hoping her Maths improves drastically. We have been trying very hard to get her grades up since P4 for Maths but I guess she needs to work harder. So it's actually all down to Aggregate points? So if a child scores 60+ for say all 4 subjects she might still get into the express stream?

Angel2005
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:23 pm

the range for A grade is very wide

4A's score could be from 200 to 245......from just above A grade (lowest low A) to just below A* (highest high A).....
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Pen88n » Mon May 23, 2011 1:44 pm

I think what you need to note is T-score of 200 is the mean, not the passing mark. Depending on the difficulty level of the paper and the cohort's performance, the mean will differ.

When you said that you gal is scoring 60+ each subject, what you need to know from her school is the mean for each subject. Is she above / below the mean? If the school has set difficult paper, and her marks are above the mean, it may be less worrying.

Do make use of this coming Jun holiday to do some intensive revision and seek help for weak areas. Good luck!

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby skss » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:40 pm

Angel2005 wrote:Hi,

I know the aggregate score is the main criteria secondary schools use to admit students, but can anyone tell me roughly if it's all As or a combination of As and Bs that will probably propel a child into Express Stream?
My daughter's grades have dropped dramatically since P5, and 3 of her subjects are in the 60s range while she has been failing Maths. If she does the same for PSLE, will that mean she will probably enter the Normal Stream? Am very worried for her self-esteem.

I think many kids tend to drop their marks in P5 as the difference in standard from P4 and p5 is too great. P5 is already covering some of p6 and they can hardly cope.

My son is in psle this year and he had a huge drop in p5. each subject drop about 15 -20 marks. from 80s.
in p6, he is back to 70s.

skss
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection