ACS(I) or SJI?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

ACS(I) or SJI?

Postby Hobbitworld » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:14 pm

Son is trying to decide between ACS(I) or SJI. Which school do you think is better for a well rounded education?

Hobbitworld
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:06 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: ACS(I) or SJI?

Postby UncleLim » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi Hobbitworld, best for you to read up more about ACS(I) to get a feel as it is very different from most other schools running the GCE O/A levels system. Is your son keen to do the IB programme?

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:47 am
Total Likes: 7


Re: ACS(I) or SJI?

Postby emoh » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:09 pm

Hobbitworld wrote:Son is trying to decide between ACS(I) or SJI. Which school do you think is better for a well rounded education?


An article on SJI in Straits Times (Saturday 20 Aug Section D Page 7)

The full article is on the facebook link

http://www.facebook.com/pages/YouthInk/171544812880710

Schools should keep in mind that even after our graduation, the alumni is still very much a part of the school. My Alma mater, Saint Joseph's Institution, does this very well. I have left SJI for more than five years, but I'm still very much in the loop on what is going on. I still receive the SJI newsletter every quarter and frequently get emails inviting me to go back for school events. Just a few days ago, my old scout troop invited the entire of my batch for dinner.

Back when SJI was having the whole “elitism” debate, every single old boy was invited to go back and attend the meeting. After the meeting, the minutes were mailed to everyone. I wasn't even that active in school, but by virtue of being an old boy, I was given a voice. It wasn't even just any voice. The SJI Old Boy's Association plays a significant part in SJI's policy making and my voice was a voice that mattered.

Early this year, I was applying for Canadian universities and needed to send copies of my transcripts over. I showed up without an appointment, but the assistant principal personally photocopied over fifty pages for me and stamped and signed every page. Within the hour, I was sent on my way.

In contrast, my junior college was hardly as helpful. I had to phone in in advance, submit a form and wait three business days. At the gate, I was even forced to sign in and exchange my IC for a pass. Maybe they were afraid that I would steal something or perhaps, plant a bomb.

The SJI security guard, however, just waved me pass with a smile. Even the canteen uncle recognised me and the artwork of some of my friends were still being displayed. Everyone treated me warmly and I felt as though I never left.

I have friends who have long left SJI and attended strings of other schools, but when asked about their education, the first thing they said was always, “I was from Saint Joesph's.” Many others even put SJI onto their Facebook profile as the sole school they ever attended. Among many other reasons, that is why till this day, I still proudly call myself a Josephian.

Ethan Lou, 20, is a first year journalism student at Ryerson University, Toronto.

emoh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:55 am
Total Likes: 3
1 people like this post


Re: ACS(I) or SJI?

Postby Hobbitworld » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:24 pm

Thank you unclelim and emoh for your helpful responses.
Yes son is considering the IB but I thought SJI is also offering the IB from next year so wasn't sure if that would be a distinguishing feature.
ACS seems to have strong camaraderie amongst the old boys.

How does it compare if one were to consider (a) it's academic strengths (b) it's openness to letting students participate in CCAs of their choice (c) it's emphasis on character and values development?

Hobbitworld
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:06 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: ACS(I) or SJI?

Postby Cheerfuldad » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:02 am

hi,

the IB for SJI only start in year 2013!

Cheerfuldad
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:35 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: ACS(I) or SJI?

Postby UncleLim » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:37 pm

Hobbitworld wrote:Thank you unclelim and emoh for your helpful responses.
Yes son is considering the IB but I thought SJI is also offering the IB from next year so wasn't sure if that would be a distinguishing feature.
ACS seems to have strong camaraderie amongst the old boys.

How does it compare if one were to consider (a) it's academic strengths (b) it's openness to letting students participate in CCAs of their choice (c) it's emphasis on character and values development?


Hobbitworld, all valid questions and you can check with ACS(I) parents in the parents networking section. I am sure you will get good replies. But if purely from the IB perspective, I guess all would agree ACS(I) has a very good headstart and is already making waves with the past few cohorts' excellent results.

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:47 am
Total Likes: 7


Re: ACS(I) or SJI?

Postby emoh » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:28 pm

Cheerfuldad wrote:hi,

the IB for SJI only start in year 2013!


according to the SJI website, they hope to start the IB in 2012

http://sji.edu.sg/subpage.php?id=292

seems SJI is informing some primary schools that they will be soft-launching the Josephian IP curriculum for students with PSLE T-scores of at least 250 and above in 2012 and are expecting a MOE announcement providing additional information on the Josephian IP soon ...

emoh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:55 am
Total Likes: 3


Re: ACS(I) or SJI?

Postby Cheerfuldad » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:42 pm

emoh wrote:
Cheerfuldad wrote:hi,

the IB for SJI only start in year 2013!


according to the SJI website, they hope to start the IB in 2012

http://sji.edu.sg/subpage.php?id=292

seems SJI is informing some primary schools that they will be soft-launching the Josephian IP curriculum for students with PSLE T-scores of at least 250 and above in 2012 and are expecting a MOE announcement providing additional information on the Josephian IP soon ...


Hi,

Did you notice the letter is dated Sept 2010. MOE announced it this year 2011 that SJI will implement their IB on 2013.

Cheers!

Cheerfuldad
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:35 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: ACS(I) or SJI?

Postby phtthp » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:47 pm

go for ACS(I). IB programme there stable, been established.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 13892
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:04 pm
Total Likes: 69


Re: ACS(I) or SJI?

Postby emoh » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:49 am

Cheerfuldad wrote:
emoh wrote:
Cheerfuldad wrote:hi,

the IB for SJI only start in year 2013!


according to the SJI website, they hope to start the IB in 2012

http://sji.edu.sg/subpage.php?id=292

seems SJI is informing some primary schools that they will be soft-launching the Josephian IP curriculum for students with PSLE T-scores of at least 250 and above in 2012 and are expecting a MOE announcement providing additional information on the Josephian IP soon ...


Hi,

Did you notice the letter is dated Sept 2010. MOE announced it this year 2011 that SJI will implement their IB on 2013.

Cheers!


MOE announcement on the new IP schools is on 1 Sep 2010

http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/press/2010/ ... chools.php

emoh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:55 am
Total Likes: 3


Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection