Starting Sec 1 next year.....

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Starting Sec 1 next year.....

Postby indigoblue » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:09 am

Is it ok for parents to bring their kids to the school for the first few days?

i would like to do that but afraid that it might embarrass him, if he happen to be the only one with mother in tow!

indigoblue
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:04 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Starting Sec 1 next year.....

Postby jtoh » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:22 am

indigoblue wrote:Is it ok for parents to bring their kids to the school for the first few days?

i would like to do that but afraid that it might embarrass him, if he happen to be the only one with mother in tow!


What do you mean by bringing your kid to school? You're just going to drop him off at school or at the bus stop right? I think that's fine for the first day but you might want to check with your son if he's okay with it.

Anyway, you'll be accompanying him to school on Reporting Day so he won't be in unfamiliar surroundings on the first day of school. So no real need to accompany him on the first few days of school.

Are you wanting to accompany him to school for you or for him?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 10921
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 91


Re: Starting Sec 1 next year.....

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:27 am

indigoblue wrote:Is it ok for parents to bring their kids to the school for the first few days?

i would like to do that but afraid that it might embarrass him, if he happen to be the only one with mother in tow!


In my opinion, a 13-year old should be old enough to be independent in a new school environment, after all, he would have already gone for the Orientation in December after the posting results have been released and yes, he will feel embarassed if he happens to be the only one with a mother in tow.

It is perfectly fine to drop him off, but it is another to actually accompany him into the school, after all, he is already in Secondary School, not like Primary 1 days.

That said, most schools would have some kind of Orientation programme/camp prepared for the Year 1s during the first week or so, so I am sure your son will have no problem adapting to the new school given the guidance and mentorship of the Seniors who are already in the school. This is coming from someone who has 2 boys who are currently in Secondary School.
Guest
 

Re: Starting Sec 1 next year.....

Postby indigoblue » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:40 am

Maid wrote:In my opinion, a 13-year old should be old enough to be independent in a new school environment, after all, he would have already gone for the Orientation in December after the posting results have been released and yes, he will feel embarassed if he happens to be the only one with a mother in tow.

It is perfectly fine to drop him off, but it is another to actually accompany him into the school, after all, he is already in Secondary School, not like Primary 1 days.

That said, most schools would have some kind of Orientation programme/camp prepared for the Year 1s during the first week or so, so I am sure your son will have no problem adapting to the new school given the guidance and mentorship of the Seniors who are already in the school. This is coming from someone who has 2 boys who are currently in Secondary School.



thanks alot Maid.. :smile: i didnt know there will an orientation programme.. been out of school for so..... long.

indigoblue
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:04 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Starting Sec 1 next year.....

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:44 am

indigoblue wrote:thanks alot Maid.. :smile: i didnt know there will an orientation programme.. been out of school for so..... long.


No worries. Hope your son gets into a school of his choice. :xedfingers:
Guest
 


Re: Starting Sec 1 next year.....

Postby sall » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:56 pm

I accompanied dd to sch on her first day in sec 1. She is very familiar with the sec sch, but I did that just to give her emotional support and to see how crowded the train is.

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:43 pm
Total Likes: 0



Return to Secondary Schools - Selection