Happier & healthier PSLE

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Happier & healthier PSLE

Postby karen66 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:00 pm

Hi,all DD will be taking PSLE in 2012. I am very stress .My friend said that it is a BIG jump . How can I can go through the PSLE with DD happier & healthier. Any suggestion... Cheers


:grphug:

karen66
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:35 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Happier & healthier PSLE

Postby Snow Crystal » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:41 pm

If your DD has been consistent in her work from P1-P5, it is not a big jump. Stay happy and healthy (mentally) yourself if you want her to be happy and healthy. Most kids are actually not that stressed up with PSLE. It's more of the parents' pushing and nagging that make the kids more stressed and frustrated. And they are going to have a jam packed schedule in P6 so the best thing you can do is to just encourage her and not transfer your stress to her. All the best and you can go to '2012 PSLE preparation' thread to share and learn from like minded parents.

Snow Crystal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:20 am
Total Likes: 1


Re: Happier & healthier PSLE

Postby Pen88n » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:01 pm

If you push your expectation to your kid, then your kid will be stressed having to meet that expectation. If you are prepared to just support your kid and encourage her to do her best, she probably will not be stressed or pressurised even with the additional workload.

P6 kids are usually loaded with lots of revision work, and sometimes teachers impose some expectations on them. They will face lots of pressure and workload, and if at home, parents still push and add in more work without understanding, it will be really frustrating for them. If parents can work with kids, rather than push kids to work, the results will be more satisfying.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4329
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:26 am
Total Likes: 70


Re: Happier & healthier PSLE

Postby Mamo » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:40 pm

It will be impossible not to push and nag at your kid when you see other parents pushing their kids as this is the final lap. You will feel that you are not doing enough and thus the stress journey begins. Also, the teachers will be giving them lots of worksheets and past years' exam papers after Term 2. That's when the kids start to drown in their hw and you have to be there to guide and support yours. Frustration and arguments will happen all the times as the kids might be deprived of rest and personal time. Be mentally prepared for that. Start your revision this holidays as you won't have time to revise with your DD when school terms start. There will be supplementary classes even on Sat for some schools and you won't have much time to spend with your DD. However, like what snow crystal mentioned, if your DD is consistent in her work and self-motivated, it will be easy for you.

Mamo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:54 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Happier & healthier PSLE

Postby janet88 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:08 am

Mamo wrote:It will be impossible not to push and nag at your kid when you see other parents pushing their kids as this is the final lap. You will feel that you are not doing enough and thus the stress journey begins. Also, the teachers will be giving them lots of worksheets and past years' exam papers after Term 2. That's when the kids start to drown in their hw and you have to be there to guide and support yours. Frustration and arguments will happen all the times as the kids might be deprived of rest and personal time. Be mentally prepared for that. Start your revision this holidays as you won't have time to revise with your DD when school terms start. There will be supplementary classes even on Sat for some schools and you won't have much time to spend with your DD. However, like what snow crystal mentioned, if your DD is consistent in her work and self-motivated, it will be easy for you.


I dread to think of next year when my son will be in p6.
Plan to start him on assessment books like synthesis, grammar, cloze, grammar this Nov. Parents, pls advise for past year exam papers, will school ask kids to buy themselves and get xx school done as homework or order bulk for the kids ?

P5 has been a tough year with so much to learn. I hate to think of next Jan to Oct. I was so worried whether I did enough with him last month, but my threshold was already the max. But on the other hand, i am also worried he will be too stressed. How to draw the line ?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 33729
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 111



Re: Happier & healthier PSLE

Postby janet88 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:11 am

Pen88n wrote:If you push your expectation to your kid, then your kid will be stressed having to meet that expectation. If you are prepared to just support your kid and encourage her to do her best, she probably will not be stressed or pressurised even with the additional workload.

P6 kids are usually loaded with lots of revision work, and sometimes teachers impose some expectations on them. They will face lots of pressure and workload, and if at home, parents still push and add in more work without understanding, it will be really frustrating for them. If parents can work with kids, rather than push kids to work, the results will be more satisfying.

Thanks Pen88n. It will not be easy next year. Will remind myself not to raise my temper and give him support.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 33729
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 111


Re: Happier & healthier PSLE

Postby Pen88n » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:23 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:
Pen88n wrote:If you push your expectation to your kid, then your kid will be stressed having to meet that expectation. If you are prepared to just support your kid and encourage her to do her best, she probably will not be stressed or pressurised even with the additional workload.

P6 kids are usually loaded with lots of revision work, and sometimes teachers impose some expectations on them. They will face lots of pressure and workload, and if at home, parents still push and add in more work without understanding, it will be really frustrating for them. If parents can work with kids, rather than push kids to work, the results will be more satisfying.

Thanks Pen88n. It will not be easy next year. Will remind myself not to raise my temper and give him support.


Yes, Janet, must control temper. Sometimes the kids themselves will be very "short fused" too, as they faced pressure from their school workload and teachers.

I find that discussing with my kid and agreeing on the workload (in addition to the school's workload) helps him managed his time and effort better, instead of getting too stressed. Having said this, must be prepared for some compromise too - he may not want to do as much as you think he needs to do (is capable of doing).

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4329
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:26 am
Total Likes: 70


Re: Happier & healthier PSLE

Postby Mamo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:07 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:Plan to start him on assessment books like synthesis, grammar, cloze, grammar this Nov. Parents, pls advise for past year exam papers, will school ask kids to buy themselves and get xx school done as homework or order bulk for the kids ?

P5 has been a tough year with so much to learn. I hate to think of next Jan to Oct. I was so worried whether I did enough with him last month, but my threshold was already the max. But on the other hand, i am also worried he will be too stressed. How to draw the line ?



Yes, P5 is a tough year especially for Math 'cos teachers want to finish teaching all the concepts. Well, at least you are half way now so one more year to go. Don't worry too much, let nature takes its own course. Focus on his weakness this holidays as you might not have time to do so next year.

For my DS's school, they were required to buy the maths A* workbooks and PSLE booklets for all 4 subjects. The school supplemented them with past exam papers from top schools. My DS was fully occupied with work from term 2, there was no way he cld do any of my assessments. Nearer to PSLE, he couldn't even complete his tuition work. Hence, time management is very important. You might want to consider twice before sending him for any enrichment classes.

Mamo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:54 pm
Total Likes: 0



Return to Secondary Schools - Selection