Normal Tech or Academic

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Normal Tech or Academic

Postby mumv » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:52 pm

Im am getting more and more worried with the results drawing nearer. DS did 3 standard subject and is exempted from MT. He did not fair well for his prelims and only passed Eng. His maths and science was 40. Am worried that he will be be placed in NT. I am not asking for much just NA. Any possibility ?

mumv
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Normal Tech or Academic

Postby koguma » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:57 am

mumv wrote:Im am getting more and more worried with the results drawing nearer. DS did 3 standard subject and is exempted from MT. He did not fair well for his prelims and only passed Eng. His maths and science was 40. Am worried that he will be be placed in NT. I am not asking for much just NA. Any possibility ?

I have seen a success story of a boy in Sec 1 NT, did well to promote to Sec 2 NA, top the school in the GCE "N" level exam, scoring much better than his classmates who started Sec 1 in NA course. He has just completed his "O" level and currently waiting for the results. He aims to go into Polytechnic to do a engineering diploma. This boy is my nephew's classmate. My nephew is another successful case of promoting from NT in Sec 1 to NA Sec 2. However he chooses to go into ITE instead of continuing "O" level after "N" level exam as he is a "hands-on" person.

Should your son be posted into NT, instead of feeling frustrated and angry by his results, you should encourage him to do well in Sec 1 so that he can promotes to NA in sec 2. I was informed by my nephew's teachers that students who perform better are those who gets support from their parents. These parents work closely with the teachers to monitor the progress of their children.

As suggested by another member in another thread, choose a good school for your son. Encourages him to do well and works hard to go to ITD / Poly / A level and subsequently University. NA and NT students can still go into University, but via a longer route.

Cheers :)

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Normal Tech or Academic

Postby mumv » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:22 pm

Thanks for your encouragement.

mumv
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection