SJI vs VS

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

SJI vs VS

Postby Alchemist » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:10 am

Firstly Ms Tay - congrats to your son. He can now get into his dream school.
Ngbrdad - Your son has great results - and I have been told by an ex colleague that her son chose ACS(I) over RI and he is really enjoying himself there. I have yet to find out why - will let you know once I do.

All other parents congrats on fabulous results.

My son has come up with totally unexpectedly good results. We are suddenly faced with the happy problem of considering schools that were not even on our radar screen earlier.

Would anybody have any ideas on preference between SJI and VS? COP-wise he would qualify for both. We live in Hougang - neither school is close by.

Any definitely advantage of one over the other?

Thanks in advance.

Alchemist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: SJI vs VS

Postby Zhuge » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:35 am

i expect VS COP to jump because of the IP
in the old days, MOE used to show the top 5 popular schools where the most students have selected (this was before IP was introduced)...VS was the number one school where the most students have selected..the other 4 schools are: RI, RGS, one school i cannot remember and Temasek Sec...but i don't know why Temasek Sec...
i think most people like to try RI, RGS, VS because it is not Christian, not SAP (means basically only Chinese race), no affiliation ...what i am trying to say is that they appeal to the masses..

Zhuge
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby emoh » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:25 am

vidhyalog wrote:Firstly Ms Tay - congrats to your son. He can now get into his dream school.
Ngbrdad - Your son has great results - and I have been told by an ex colleague that her son chose ACS(I) over RI and he is really enjoying himself there. I have yet to find out why - will let you know once I do.

My son has come up with totally unexpectedly good results. We are suddenly faced with the happy problem of considering schools that were not even on our radar screen earlier.

Would anybody have any ideas on preference between SJI and VS? COP-wise he would qualify for both. We live in Hougang - neither school is close by.

Thanks in advance.

SJI would be offering Year 5 and 6 at their own school doing IB while VS students would go to VJC for Year 5 and 6 doing A Levels if you son qualifies for the IP there.

SJI got the School Excellence Award (highest award given by MOE) while VS got the School Distinction Award.

SJI cut off score is generally lower so your son with a higher T-score would be at the upper end as compared to VS.

You may want to visit the website of the 2 schools too.

http://www.sji.edu.sg

http://vs.moe.edu.sg

emoh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Gabby » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:02 am

emoh wrote:
vidhyalog wrote:Firstly Ms Tay - congrats to your son. He can now get into his dream school.

Thanks in advance.

SJI would be offering Year 5 and 6 at their own school doing IB while VS students would go to VJC for Year 5 and 6 doing A Levels if you son qualifies for the IP there.

SJI got the School Excellence Award (highest award given by MOE) while VS got the School Distinction Award.

SJI cut off score is generally lower so your son with a higher T-score would be at the upper end as compared to VS.

You may want to visit the website of the 2 schools too.

http://www.sji.edu.sg

http://vs.moe.edu.sg

As SJI is offering IB as a new school, the cut off for its IB prog has not been established yet. It will be different from its normal cohort. They are currently pursuing boys who score 250 and above from their feeder schools for the IB prog.

Gabby
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Gabby » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:03 am

Currently the COP for SJI (normal cohort non IB) from non affilated primary schools is ard 244 and from its affilated primary schools is 238.

Gabby
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby zoro » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:22 am

Last year COP for SJI was 241 for non-affilated primary school...

zoro
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Alchemist » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:46 pm

Thanks everybody for your input.

I am veering towards VS because we would like him to still do O levels - because while he is intelligent, he is not self motivated. I am afraid with IP program, if you are not self motivated you may find it too late to wake up by the time to do A levels. I like the idea of having a check point for O levels - then at least there is a Poly option if something goes south.

Given this view - I would think that the 2 points for affiliation would be quite attractive and that too for an established JC like VJC.

Alchemist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tisha » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:39 pm

vidhyalog wrote:Thanks everybody for your input.

I am veering towards VS because we would like him to still do O levels - because while he is intelligent, he is not self motivated. I am afraid with IP program, if you are not self motivated you may find it too late to wake up by the time to do A levels. I like the idea of having a check point for O levels - then at least there is a Poly option if something goes south.

Given this view - I would think that the 2 points for affiliation would be quite attractive and that too for an established JC like VJC.

Vidyalog, thanks for opening this thread and also for summarising so well. A lot of valuable inputs here from fellow KSPper.

From SJI thread I gather that 60 students can join 'IP' track in sec 3 in 2014. Among this my guess is that at least 35-40 students of SJI 'O' level track will be given a change. What about VS, do they have the same offer? how many students for sec 3 intake?

tisha
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby emoh » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:47 pm

Can still do O level in SJI. Affialiation of 2 points to CJC

I believe most of the 60 places (more than 50) would be kept for 2012 Sec 1 intake and not those from outside.

emoh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kansatish » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:48 pm

Since VS is starting IP for 2012 intake, would the COP be much higher than the COP for O Level? COP for O level in 2011 and 2010 was 246 and 245 respectively. Though difficult to estimate, would the COP for IP be at least 260?

kansatish
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection