Can go to NA if the student is recommended Express stream?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Can go to NA if the student is recommended Express stream?

Postby worldangel » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:19 am

Would like to know if the T-Score is around 200 - 210 and the pupil is recommended for Express, can he or she choose to go NA instead? Reason being there will be more choices of schools if he goes NA, rather than being limited to just a few schools if he goes to express.

Advice is very much appreciated. Thank you! :rahrah:

worldangel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Can go to NA if the student is recommended Express strea

Postby koguma » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:31 am

worldangel wrote:Would like to know if the T-Score is around 200 - 210 and the pupil is recommended for Express, can he or she choose to go NA instead? Reason being there will be more choices of schools if he goes NA, rather than being limited to just a few schools if he goes to express.

Advice is very much appreciated. Thank you! :rahrah:

Sorry to tell you but the ans is No. You cannot choose to go NA if you are eligible to go Express.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Fourth » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:58 am

I think yes it can be done. At least that happened to my as I heard. However do not recommend as my friend now regrets.

Fourth
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Believing » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:28 am

My question is the other way round: if student's score is between N/A and Express, what would you parents' advice be? I heard N/A students "suffer" during S5 when they've to catch up for 'O'.

Believing
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby koguma » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:59 am

Fourth wrote:I think yes it can be done. At least that happened to my as I heard. However do not recommend as my friend now regrets.

This is new. I thought only student's score between N/A and Express are allow to choose, and this is indicated in the student result slip? Score above 200 is definitely Express stream?

worldangel, suggest you call up MOE and ask them how to change course when you apply for the school. 4 years ago, my neighbour DD score 150+, which makes her eligible for NA course. However the mother choose the schools based on NT cutoff scores instead of NA cutoff scores, thinking they are the same. She doesn't understand how the selection process works. As a results, the daughter is posted to choice 6, which happen to has a low NA cutoff.

Better check carefully making the wrong choice.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby koguma » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:07 pm

Believing wrote:My question is the other way round: if student's score is between N/A and Express, what would you parents' advice be? I heard N/A students "suffer" during S5 when they've to catch up for 'O'.

Discuss with your child and the school teachers. We have same dilemma few years back. My nephew school results are better than his PSLE. As such, the form teacher recommend us to let him try Express instead of Normal as they feel he has the potential to do much better.

This prove to be the right choice. He is in the top 10% in the cohort throughtout the 4 years, and is now happily studying in Poly.

The only problem is you have not many schools to choose from.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby worldangel » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:15 pm

His is a clear-cut express stream case. I have asked around and think it is not possible. He can only choose schools based on Express stream range and COPs. Only if they are given a choice (Express/NA), then they can choose to go to NA or Express.

worldangel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby lilacred » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:35 pm

Fourth, do you know why your friend regretted it?

lilacred
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Fourth » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:39 pm

Well... because she felt that her son became accustomed to the slower pace, rather than taking it to his advantage.

Fourth
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby N3SKiasu » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:16 pm

I have the same situation with 20x and have called up MOE, the answer is the "No", you cannot transfer to Normal.
Yes, the choice of sec is real limited, I can understand how you feel.
However, having gather some feedback, I would go for the Express now.
Reason is : I realised from my friend that, if the child did not do well in N level in Sec 4, he/she will be asked to go ITE, there is no chance for the child to take O level in year 5. The O level is for the better performers at N level. I think I have misunderstood from the beginning that N/A means the child takes 5 years to complete O level (with Yr 4 with N level) and every child, no matter what, will have a chance to take O level in Sec 5, ie. giving one additional year for the child to cope with syllabus. In this case, I would prefer my child to have at least a chance to sit for O level, no matter how he performs in Sec 3/4. Hence I will stick to Express.

N3SKiasu
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection