Tips from 2011 PSLE parents/students to Juniors

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Tips from 2011 PSLE parents/students to Juniors

Postby smartmummy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:19 am

Hi awesome & dedicated 2011 PSLE parents and students!

First of all I :salute: :salute: you all for the great achievement and the hardworking with ur kids!I know it is not easy.

I saw the past papers for P4 :faint: Really very hard to score.I heard P5 is a big jump.How did u guide ur kids? Please share with us how did you do?Did u send tuition or self coaching?Which is best?

I am not kiasu but I scare.I were happy if his result would meet his potential. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate for any input.
Last edited by smartmummy on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Tips from 2011 PSLE parents to juniors

Postby Yewniffler171 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:05 pm

Sorry, I am a student. Just telling you my experience. There will be much harder Maths questions worth 3-5 marks. There were some people failing their compre in English. But it is okay now. Science I dropped from getting A*/100 to like 80 +. Luckily PSLE got A* for Sci n Mathz.

Yewniffler171
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Kissgurami » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:49 pm

Smartmummy! You are scaring me :sweat:

Kissgurami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngbrdad » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:00 pm

I have a P4 kid too.
Right now still haven't fully recovered from this year's PSLE yet.
So don't want to think so far ahead first.
What I can say is if you apply for a few DSA as well and are not successful, it can be very draining emotionally. Especially if you are on WL and will only know your fate on the day of the PSLE results as well.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:34 pm

ngbrdad wrote:I have a P4 kid too.
What I can say is if you apply for a few DSA as well and are not successful, it can be very draining emotionally. Especially if you are on WL and will only know your fate on the day of the PSLE results as well.

will schs inform/prepare kids for DSA? if no, dont students with not so well informed parents lose out? will pri schs with affiliated sec discourage students to dsa to other schs?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby smartmummy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:31 pm

Kissgurami wrote:Smartmummy! You are scaring me :sweat:

Don't worry,U have time, This is for my elder son who is entering upper primary and the English language paper model/qns changed.I don't worry about my younger DD at all.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smartmummy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:35 pm

Yewniffler171 wrote:Sorry, I am a student. Just telling you my experience. There will be much harder Maths questions worth 3-5 marks. There were some people failing their compre in English. But it is okay now. Science I dropped from getting A*/100 to like 80 +. Luckily PSLE got A* for Sci n Mathz.

Sorry I didn't think need to mention students.Now I added!
Most welcome from students! I think it more precisely.
Thank u for ur useful input!
Oh congrats for ur great A*s!!
good luck for ur secondary journey!

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Kissgurami » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:59 pm

smartmummy wrote:

Don't worry,U have time, This is for my elder son who is entering upper primary and the English language paper model/qns changed.I don't worry about my younger DD at all.

Oh! sorry :sweat: :oops: I was thinking oh wow need to prepare from K1.. was :faint:

how old is your elder son? Upper Pri as in P4?

Kissgurami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smartmummy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:16 pm

Kissgurami wrote:
smartmummy wrote:

Oh! sorry :sweat: :oops: I was thinking oh wow need to prepare from K1.. was :faint:

how old is your elder son? Upper Pri as in P4?

yup, he will be P4 next year..I open the past year papers totally different from P1-P3.They added Synthesis and Transformation and OE comprehension cloze for English.Students need higher order thinking skills needed for all Maths qns.Super hard. For science also has tricky wording,students need to be more careful.My son do very fast but not a careful and hardworking person.Thats why i am worrying.Sometimes I am thinking will he pass PSLE?

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Just4Fun » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:40 am

ngbrdad wrote:I have a P4 kid too.

ngbrdad, I hv read yr post in the PSLE thread. I can feel the roller coaster emotional feelings that you & yr family have to endure & manage. It has kinda scared me ! It makes me wonder if u hv regreted sending yr DS1 to GEP class ? Perhaps he may get better results & able to enter his dream school if he were to remain at mainstream & had more time to focus on psle syllabus.

Also, how's abt yr DS2 .. did he get into GEP ?

All the best , esply to yr DS1 .. on his school posting/ appeal result...
Be strong for him.. regardless of the final outcome...

Just4Fun
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection