Advice on secondary school in West side

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Advice on secondary school in West side

Postby MumAnuTan » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:11 pm

Hi all,

I need advise on selecting sec school for my DS. He scored 237 (booo hooo), quite disappointed but that is another story.

I tried to filter the schools based on last year COP (between 235 and 245) and ended up with 12 secondary schools out of which 3 are girls school and 3 more are Chinese schools. Many of them are not in West side. We are not Chinese so choice is limited.

I would like to know for my son what is the max COP cutoff I can look out for? Is 245 too high?

Regards
Worked up mom

MumAnuTan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Advice on secondary school in West side

Postby caroline3sg » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:34 pm

You can consider following schools:

1) Commonwealth - the boys seem independent, can handle parent's queries.

2) West Spring - may be little out of way. Principal is very good but may change every 5 yrs. Students very well behaved (personal experience). Teachers very supportive (hearsay). You stand a good chance if put this as 1st choice.

3) Clementi Town - quite a no. of teachers are ex-students.

4) FuHua - Students are stressful as they are given "O" standard tests when in lower sec.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MumAnuTan » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks caroline3sg.

This is very helpful. I was suggested Swiss Cottage by few of my friends. Anybody has any idea on that?

Also, Bukit Panjang Govt High the cutoff last year was 243. I was thinking of putting that as my first choice. Any suggestions against or for?

Many thanks.

MumAnuTan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby caroline3sg » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:03 am

MumAnuTan

Bukit Panjang Govt is a very good sch. I came across 3 students helping an unconscious man at Lot 1 with many onlookers doing nothing. This is the best school in CCK. If you child's T-score can meet is COP, go for it. But seems it is off by 6 points.

Swiss Cottage like Dunearn is an established school. Should be sound.

But I like West Spring. If you have time, should go to this school and take a look. Check out their open house timing. Or surf its web for more info.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby infosages » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:40 am

My eldest daughter finished her Sec 4 in Swiss Cottage this year. She is happy there, offered lots of leadership opportunities and did well in her studies. I would say this is a good school :)

infosages
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Bbee » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:17 am

I visited both Swiss Cottage and Commonwealth open houses. The students are happy in both schools. My DS, DH and myself like both the schools.

Bbee
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sssdarlings » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:28 am

Yes, Swiss Cottage is one of our choices too. All rounded results including NA students. Commonwealth is an ideal choice for me but dd prefers a girls' school to be first choice.

BPGH would have been another good choice but no Tamil is offered there. I have no intention of subjecting dd to extra travel for MT since we expect a lot of time spent on CCA etc.

As I had mentioned in another post, current school teachers tell me to keep within 5 score range of the COP... Fairfield secondary tho affiliation can keep you in jitters.

TAlking about disappointment, we are still recovering from the shock that dd failed to enter express and how her low MT scored affected her aggregate score badly. I can only accept that time will let us move forward, reflect and try not to take it personally or beat myself over it.

Good times are awaiting her and we just need her to work harder while enjoying the teenage years. years down the road, no one will be bothered by the PSLE score as much as what she will achieve with her attitude and efforts in the future.

sssdarlings
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection