NJC VS. RV

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

NJC VS. RV

Postby Jan111 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:28 pm

My dd result is 258+3 , consider NJC or RV , your comments ,please.

Jan111
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: NJC VS. RV

Postby Yewniffler171 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:35 pm

It will depend on her interests. (BTW I got 258 +2 and am thinking of the same thing also) Since she got Distinction, RV may be better. If she is more of a Maths and Sci person, then perhaps NJC will be good. NJC's boarding school looks nice though.

Yewniffler171
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby WeiHan » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:58 pm

RV is known to be strong in Science and Maths too although not as strong as schools like RI, HCI and NUSH.

For example, in recent years, RV has consistently done very well in most Maths, Science and Technology interschools competitions.

National Junior Robotics Competitions. 2010 results below
http://www.science.edu.sg/events/Docume ... inners.pdf

2011 National Olympiad of Informatics. 3 silvers 5 bronzes. That is quite a large number of medals consider RV cohort size is only 1/3 of RI and HCI.

2011 Singapore Mathematical Olympiad. 5th is junior section. 14th in senior section and 5th in open section. 5th position in jinor and open section is only after traditional strong schools like RI, HCI and NUSH.
http://sms.math.nus.edu.sg/Competitions/SMO2011.aspx

And many more results in Singapore Physics Olympiad, Singapore Chemistry Olympiad, Singapore Young Physicist Tournament etc....all prove that Rv is strong in maths and science.

Therefore I am not incline to brand RV as a chinese culture oriented school.

WeiHan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:18 pm

NJC and RV are rather different schools. The standard of Chinese at RV is high, and I believe they're a SAP school so there will be quite a bit of focus on Chinese. Which environment are you more comfortable in? Consider that and what the school can offer you rather than just looking at the COP.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection