Express Vs Normal (A)

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Express Vs Normal (A)

Postby Mamo » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:35 pm

My DS scored only 205. He is good in er hu but we didn't apply for DSA as we expected him to do well and go to his affiliated secondary school. We are in a tight situation now as his score is neither here nor there. There are not many schools that have Chinese Orchestra and with his score, he is unable to get into Express stream of better secondary schools.

I need advise if we should let him go to Express stream in schools without Chinese Orchestra or choose to let him go to Normal (A) stream in better schools with Chinese Orchestra. My hope is that he will excel in a better environment with Chinese Orchestra than a neighbourhood school.

However, my concern is the syllabus - how will he be prepared for 'O' level at the end of the 5 years?

Many thanks.

Mamo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Express Vs Normal (A)

Postby worldangel » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:37 pm

He is given Express right? I had a similar question and was told he would definitely have to go for Express since it is a clear cut case.

worldangel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Mamo » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:40 pm

Hi worldangel,

I just saw your posting in the other topic. Thanks.

Mamo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby koguma » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:46 am

Mamo wrote:My DS scored only 205. He is good in er hu but we didn't apply for DSA as we expected him to do well and go to his affiliated secondary school. We are in a tight situation now as his score is neither here nor there. There are not many schools that have Chinese Orchestra and with his score, he is unable to get into Express stream of better secondary schools.

I need advise if we should let him go to Express stream in schools without Chinese Orchestra or choose to let him go to Normal (A) stream in better schools with Chinese Orchestra. My hope is that he will excel in a better environment with Chinese Orchestra than a neighbourhood school.

However, my concern is the syllabus - how will he be prepared for 'O' level at the end of the 5 years?

Many thanks.

Check out this website for the Sec schools performance in SYF 2011 Chinese Orchestra. It may helps you to find out which schools are focusing in Chinese Orchestra. You can also appeal to these schools if your son's score is not too far out from their COP.

http://www.singaporeyouthfestival.sg/im ... esults.pdf

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Mdm Koh » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:57 am

Check the school's rate of N(A) students getting offered to go to Express? If you would like to opt for N(A), it's better to go to a school where the N(A) programme is good and gives students a chance to join the Express track in future.

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Mamo » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:52 pm

:thankyou: Koguma and Mdm Koh for your advice.

Mamo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection