More IP Schools, more IP students?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

More IP Schools, more IP students?

Postby robert » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:04 pm

Victoria and Cedar have been added in as new IP schools, am I right to say that there are more chances for students to be enrolled in IP programe?

robert
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: More IP Schools, more IP students?

Postby jtoh » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:07 pm

Yes. And there'll be even more schools offering IP in 2013.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Pen88n » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:13 pm

This year not as many since both Victoria and Cedar are only taking in 90 each. Next year with the introduction of SJI, MGS, SCGS, SNGS, CHS and Temasek Academy, the number will increase greatly.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:20 pm

And I don't think it's necessarily a good thing to have more IP schools. The thru train track is meant for students who are clearly university-bound and who are independent workers. Not everyone is cut out for IP. Some students would actually do better in an O level environment, followed by A levels. But with so many of the better schools offering IP, everyone would be pushed into selecting IP over O levels because that's where the brightest go and some people don't want to lose face.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby starlight1968sg » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:24 pm

jtoh wrote:And I don't think it's necessarily a good thing to have more IP schools. The thru train track is meant for students who are clearly university-bound and who are independent workers. Not everyone is cut out for IP. Some students would actually do better in an O level environment, followed by A levels. But with so many of the better schools offering IP, everyone would be pushed into selecting IP over O levels because that's where the brightest go and some people don't want to lose face.

:goodpost:

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zhuge » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:08 pm

the Government Parliamentary Committee (correct name?) for Education did a study and found that this is the way to go for education in s'pore....to free up more students' time so that they can learn better..but i do not think there is a lot of difference for a pupil who scored 230 or 260 at psle level..

Zhuge
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:11 pm

what are the disadvantages of going IP?
what will happen to the students if they do not perform at A-level/IB in their IP track? repeat and repeat??

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby vanesslim » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:02 pm

Frankly who cares about the standard of the student, every school is trying to build up their coffer.

vanesslim
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Dnls_mum » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:16 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
jtoh wrote:And I don't think it's necessarily a good thing to have more IP schools. The thru train track is meant for students who are clearly university-bound and who are independent workers. Not everyone is cut out for IP. Some students would actually do better in an O level environment, followed by A levels. But with so many of the better schools offering IP, everyone would be pushed into selecting IP over O levels because that's where the brightest go and some people don't want to lose face.

:goodpost:

Sigh! So true!!
Unfortunately it is so difficult to get to a gd JC to study a course of their choice for an "O" level student. One needs to get an A2 average for L1B5 to get to an average JC, let's not even think about the top ones. Most people I know go on to poly after 'O' level. Gives me the impression that the 'O' level track is really the govt's way of streaming students into the poly track. Frankly, it is probably easier to get into a gd JC via IP route, rather than try after 'O' level. Little doubt why everyone hope to put their kids thru IP. I know because DS1 is in the'O level track. I can see his challenges and so DS2 is going to IP. Sigh!

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zhuge » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:31 am

perhaps the schools should allow the IP students to switch back to O level if they cannot cope...

Zhuge
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection