Third languages

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Which third language are u choosing ?

French
29%
Japanese
39%
German
12%
Arabic
1%
Bahasa Indonesia
4%
Malay (Special programme)
12%
Chinese (Special programme)
3%

Total votes : 161

Third languages

Postby Kid » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:17 pm

What third languages are u choosing ? Don't mind sharing the reasons why u chose this language as your third language .

Kid
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Third languages

Postby Kingal » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:44 am

DD wanted to do Japanese, but I hope she choose French.

Reason being she will likely to use the language.
Not sure she can cope with extra language. Can she opt out after Sec 1 or Sec 2?

Kingal
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MummySTay » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:35 am

Kingal wrote:DD wanted to do Japanese, but I hope she choose French.

Not sure she can cope with extra language. Can she opt out after Sec 1 or Sec 2?

I called up RGS (because that's where DD is going) and asked about withdrawal from the course. I was told that there are 2 window periods in a year, at the end of each semester, whereby students can withdraw from 3rd language.

Just need to submit an official form together with parents' letter. I am not sure if the same applies to every school. You can always call up the secondary school where your DS/DD is headed for and ask. :smile:
MummySTay
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Kingal » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:03 pm

MummySTay wrote:

I called up RGS (because that's where DD is going) and asked about withdrawal from the course. I was told that there are 2 window periods in a year, at the end of each semester, whereby students can withdraw from 3rd language.

Just need to submit an official form together with parents' letter. I am not sure if the same applies to every school. You can always call up the secondary school where your DS/DD is headed for and ask. :smile:

Then I will call the school to confirm. Thanks.

Kingal
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby DJN » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:08 pm

Students opt out at any time of the year. There is a form at the MOELC website that can be downloaded. The parents need to sign and also need a signature(approval) from the school. The withdrawals usually happened towards the end of the year after a series of tests whereby the student get an idea how he/she is performing and coping.

DJN
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby rylee » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:36 pm

S1 form already submitted.
Already got DSA, so no need to select secondary schools.

For third language, we choose Japanese as first choice, bahasa Indonesia as 2nd choice. third choice we leave it blank.

Best of luck to all P6 and hope u can get into your dream school

rylee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Nightrace » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:50 pm

Maybe they should have Korean Language too.

Nightrace
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Yewniffler171 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:12 pm

Ok ya, they should have more choices.

Yewniffler171
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby lizawa » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:19 pm

I posted this in another thread. But just to share again. For japanese, French and German, the drop out rate is the highest for Japanese, followed by French and then German.

Japanese is tougher because the children need to learn all the three writing scripts right from the beginning. The pace is also much faster compared to the other two languages.

You can withdraw any time. But bear in mind that the books for these languages are not cheap, so kind of wasted if the child quits after one term. If you are just going to try out, maybe can see if you can get old textbooks from seniors. The workbooks, no choice, must buy.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby llbros545 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:07 pm

Hohoho, so many kids choosing Jap. What lizawa said is really true, Jap is really tough and the 3 Jap classes of my day have been all but chopped to 1 by the 3rd Year. The drop-out rate truly is scary. In terms of usefulness (in the future), French and German also wins Jap in this aspect. But Jap is still a very interesting and mystical language though. :)

Oh and yes, the textbooks for Jap are the MOST expensive out of all the subjects, at least for my year. I think it totals to about 130?

llbros545
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection