Advice needed - PSLE 251 (+1), still can try for RV?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Advice needed - PSLE 251 (+1), still can try for RV?

Postby Ironmanpapa » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:46 am

Hi all,

My daughter scored 251. She wanted Cedar girls because of VJC but it is simply to far from our Ghim Moh place. Thinking of River Valley but the COP is beyond 251. Should we still try to put RV as 1st choice and Cedar as 2nd? Called Cedar and understand their COP may be raised to about 250 and above this year. I do not want my dd to not get in RV and also not Cedar.... headache..

Ironmanpapa
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Advice needed - PSLE 251 (+1), still can try for RV?

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:54 am

I believe the hurdle is not the COP but the +1. If her Chinese is not strong, RV being a SAP school, it might be a miserable stay for your child. You have to speak to her again.

Postby blotchdudu » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:52 pm

Ironmanpapa wrote:Hi all,

My daughter scored 251. She wanted Cedar girls because of VJC but it is simply to far from our Ghim Moh place. Thinking of River Valley but the COP is beyond 251. Should we still try to put RV as 1st choice and Cedar as 2nd? Called Cedar and understand their COP may be raised to about 250 and above this year. I do not want my dd to not get in RV and also not Cedar.... headache..

How about these school?
CHIJ ST.Nicholas Girls 249-273* Express only CJC
Singapore Chinese Girls 250-264* Express only NA
Methodist Girls Girls 253-261 Express only ACJC

My friend's daughter goT 251 in last year but she got in. Just try MGS too.

blotchdudu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Ironmanpapa » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:59 pm

Actually her Chinese is supposed to be one of her best subject, but she somehow performed below her standards during her Psle. Sad.. She still cannot get over her low score up to now....:(

Ironmanpapa
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby carebear » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:06 pm

Ironmanpapa wrote:Actually her Chinese is supposed to be one of her best subject, but she somehow performed below her standards during her Psle. Sad.. She still cannot get over her low score up to now....:(

I know how your DD feels.
Mine was disappointed too, although she scored 256+1.
She is worried that she might not be able to get into Dunman High where most of her friends are going.
Btw, she put RV as her 2nd choice and Cedar IP as 3rd.
The problem is that now we live in the east but 2 years later, shifting to the west.
So distance is a problem either way.

Coming back to your question- maybe just put RV as 1st choice then later appeal if did not get in?

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Ironmanpapa » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:19 pm

That's is our choice at the moment. Understand from schools that COP could be lower this year as exam is much tougher. Do not know whether this is true.

Ironmanpapa
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Selfan4ever♥23 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:55 pm

Try Crescent Girls. It only takes about 30 minutes from your home to that school.

Selfan4ever♥23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby carebear » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:25 pm

Selfan4ever♥23 wrote:

Try Crescent Girls. It only takes about 30 minutes from your home to that school.

I think Ironmanpapa's DD is looking at IP schools.
Crescent no IP.

Ironmanpapa wrote:That's is our choice at the moment. Understand from schools that COP could be lower this year as exam is much tougher. Do not know whether this is true.
That's is our choice at the moment. Understand from schools that COP could be lower this year as exam is much tougher. Do not know whether this is true.

I have feeling that although the top scores, ie 260 or more may be lower, but those scoring 250 - 260 have increased?

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Ironmanpapa » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:18 pm

Thanks everyone.... Would it make a difference whether I put cedar as first or second choice? Any guidance on MOE selection process....

Ironmanpapa
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Yewniffler171 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:55 pm

It is on the front page of the booklet.
The Ministry will look at your first choice, and if it has no more spaces, then the second, etc.

Yewniffler171
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection