Kiasu parents pls read

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Kiasu parents pls read

Postby mahes_gopal » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:15 pm

This is post from the straits times:
AS IN the past, recent reports on the PSLE results gave many parents reason to rejoice: their little darlings made it, some with flying colours. To all who gave of their best, my heartiest congratulations.
Unfortunately, the euphoria was all about grades.
From the reactions of some parents I know, it seems that results with aggregates below 250, from four As or three As plus one A*, are just not good enough.
Remarks like 'disappointing', 'not to our expectation' and 'should have got more A*' clearly betray their displeasure at ritheir children's performance, doing nothing to boost their morale.
It irks me that anyone should find such results unsatisfactory. Scoring straight As in any examination is no mean feat by any stretch of the imagination. What counts more is that the child has done his best - his effort should be appreciated.
That is why when my grandson scored As in all subjects with an aggregate of 245, I was elated; the fact that he did not get any A* does not bother me. He gave his all and got a glowing report from his teacher and principal. To me, that is far more important than mere numbers.
Parents who keep pushing their children to unreasonable academic heights should take note of a recent report about a South Korean high school senior who stabbed his mother to death after being beaten with a golf club and baseball bat to get better grades.
It is sad that we live in a society where, seemingly, grades are the be-all and end-all of education. Escaping from this trap to go beyond grades may well be the greatest challenge for Singapore in the foreseeable future.
Lee Seck Kay
Pls don't say this is a fox who said that the grapes are sour because he couldn't reach them. What the author and I feel are that psle kills the morale of the average child. It is not the be all and end all. Look at our children holistically. Give them.a childhoood that they can look back with happiness. I feel psle makes our children feel like failures at a tender age like 12. Instead of giving feedback to the relevant ministry to make assessment more holistic and less stressful we parents are feeding the ego of officials in moe who think that they have the best assessment tools. Something to think about. :scratchhead:

mahes_gopal
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Kiasu parents pls read

Postby mummy so kiasu » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:44 pm

mahes_gopal wrote:This is post from the straits times:
AS IN the past, recent reports on the PSLE results gave many parents reason to rejoice: their little darlings made it, some with flying colours. To all who gave of their best, my heartiest congratulations.
Unfortunately, the euphoria was all about grades.
From the reactions of some parents I know, it seems that results with aggregates below 250, from four As or three As plus one A*, are just not good enough.
Remarks like 'disappointing', 'not to our expectation' and 'should have got more A*' clearly betray their displeasure at ritheir children's performance, doing nothing to boost their morale.
It irks me that anyone should find such results unsatisfactory. Scoring straight As in any examination is no mean feat by any stretch of the imagination. What counts more is that the child has done his best - his effort should be appreciated.

:goodpost:

That is why when my grandson scored As in all subjects with an aggregate of 245, I was elated; the fact that he did not get any A* does not bother me. He gave his all and got a glowing report from his teacher and principal. To me, that is far more important than mere numbers.
Parents who keep pushing their children to unreasonable academic heights should take note of a recent report about a South Korean high school senior who stabbed his mother to death after being beaten with a golf club and baseball bat to get better grades.
It is sad that we live in a society where, seemingly, grades are the be-all and end-all of education. Escaping from this trap to go beyond grades may well be the greatest challenge for Singapore in the foreseeable future.
Lee Seck Kay
Pls don't say this is a fox who said that the grapes are sour because he couldn't reach them. What the author and I feel are that psle kills the morale of the average child. It is not the be all and end all. Look at our children holistically. Give them.a childhoood that they can look back with happiness. I feel psle makes our children feel like failures at a tender age like 12. Instead of giving feedback to the relevant ministry to make assessment more holistic and less stressful we parents are feeding the ego of officials in moe who think that they have the best assessment tools. Something to think about. :scratchhead:

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection