GEP Student admit to Mainstream Secondary School

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

GEP Student admit to Mainstream Secondary School

Postby sally » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:50 am

My hubby told me something yesterday tat I think he might has hearing problem :idea:

He colleague told him tat another colleague of theirs has a dd in GEP but now is in MGS for her secondary education.

If I'm not wrong all GEP normally went to RGS or NYG. Anyone can comfirm or share with me whether sure case happen?

sally
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:32 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: GEP Student admit to Mainstream Secondary School

Postby Jenn » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:46 pm

sally wrote:My hubby told me something yesterday tat I think he might has hearing problem :idea:

He colleague told him tat another colleague of theirs has a dd in GEP but now is in MGS for her secondary education.

If I'm not wrong all GEP normally went to RGS or NYG. Anyone can comfirm or share with me whether sure case happen?


According to numbers shown in DSA slides last year for some GEP schools, 85% of GEP students are admitted to IP schools thru DSA.

This means the other 15% have to qualify thru their PSLE results. It is known that not all GEP students have PSLE scores of 260 above - which means that some may not qualify for IP if they did not make it thru DSA.

Some may have chosen the 'O' level path instead. Many of the students in good 'O' level schools like Catholic High and SJI could have gone into IP but chose to do 'O' levels instead.

Jenn
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:47 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: GEP Student admit to Mainstream Secondary School

Postby sally » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:14 pm

Jenn wrote:
sally wrote:My hubby told me something yesterday tat I think he might has hearing problem :idea:

He colleague told him tat another colleague of theirs has a dd in GEP but now is in MGS for her secondary education.

If I'm not wrong all GEP normally went to RGS or NYG. Anyone can comfirm or share with me whether sure case happen?


According to numbers shown in DSA slides last year for some GEP schools, 85% of GEP students are admitted to IP schools thru DSA.

This means the other 15% have to qualify thru their PSLE results. It is known that not all GEP students have PSLE scores of 260 above - which means that some may not qualify for IP if they did not make it thru DSA.

Some may have chosen the 'O' level path instead. Many of the students in good 'O' level schools like Catholic High and SJI could have gone into IP but chose to do 'O' levels instead.



OIC. Tot all GEP suppose be smart as many of their parents and school think. I recalled wat my boy told me that one of his classmate that got selected to GEP claimed that he actually don't know wat the question asking in the GEP exam just by luck he got in might be truth.

sally
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:32 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: GEP Student admit to Mainstream Secondary School

Postby jedamum » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm

sally wrote:Tot all GEP suppose be smart as many of their parents and school think..

Erm....smart kids need not necessary be able to score for PSLE.
I think i did read somewhere that GEP's curriculum focus is not for PSLE but rather to stretch their interest and potential. :wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 8514
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:58 pm
Total Likes: 20


Re: GEP Student admit to Mainstream Secondary School

Postby Vanilla Cake » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:48 pm

sally wrote:He colleague told him tat another colleague of theirs has a dd in GEP but now is in MGS for her secondary education.

If I'm not wrong all GEP normally went to RGS or NYG. Anyone can comfirm or share with me whether sure case happen?
Such case is possible.
The GEPers can opt to go to 'IP' track and also the 'O' track.
These schools offer 'IP' track for GEPers :

(1) Anglo-Chinese School (Independent)
(2) Dunman High School
(3) Raffles Instituition
(4) Raffles Girls' School (Secondary)
(5) Hwa Chong Institution
(6) Nanyang Girls' High School
(7) NUS High School of Maths & Science

These schools offer 'O' track for GEPers :

(1) Anglo-Chinese School (Independent)
(2) Catholic High SChool
(3) Methodist Girls' School
(4) Singapore Chinese Girls' School
(5) St Joesph's Institution

Probably, this girl had chosen MGS to continue the 'O' track and may attend special programmes customised by MGS to meet the learning needs of being a GEPer.

Vanilla Cake
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:45 am
Total Likes: 0



Postby kiasiparent » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:05 pm

Not all GEP students are strong at PSLE. Some even failed chinese FYI. Some did badly for maths and science simply because they didnt really study.

But overall, i have seen some GEP students scoring 250 and less but have not seen one who scored less than 230 yet.

kiasiparent
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:01 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Rosie » Fri May 01, 2009 2:20 pm

Heard from one of the GEP briefings I attended at the beginning of the year --- the lowest PSLE scored by a GEPPER last year was 220.

Rosie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:22 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: GEP Student admit to Mainstream Secondary School

Postby Fairy » Tue May 12, 2009 4:07 pm

[Editor's note: Topic selected and edited for Portal publication.]

sally wrote:
Jenn wrote:
sally wrote:My hubby told me something yesterday tat I think he might has hearing problem :idea:

He colleague told him tat another colleague of theirs has a dd in GEP but now is in MGS for her secondary education.

If I'm not wrong all GEP normally went to RGS or NYG. Anyone can comfirm or share with me whether sure case happen?


According to numbers shown in DSA slides last year for some GEP schools, 85% of GEP students are admitted to IP schools thru DSA.

This means the other 15% have to qualify thru their PSLE results. It is known that not all GEP students have PSLE scores of 260 above - which means that some may not qualify for IP if they did not make it thru DSA.

Some may have chosen the 'O' level path instead. Many of the students in good 'O' level schools like Catholic High and SJI could have gone into IP but chose to do 'O' levels instead.



OIC. Tot all GEP suppose be smart as many of their parents and school think. I recalled wat my boy told me that one of his classmate that got selected to GEP claimed that he actually don't know wat the question asking in the GEP exam just by luck he got in might be truth.


You seem to assume that all kids want to excel in their studies.

Kids who are smart are not necessarily hard working. Although intelligence is important, hard work is even more so. One who is not-so-smart, but very diligent may end up scoring much better than one who is smart, but not willing to put in extra effort. Not every one 'by default', aims to be a TOP. There are many who are very intelligent, but think that by virtue of their intelligence, they can afford to relax and still 'scrap through' with minimum effort.

Many GEP kids I know of, particularly the boys, are more concerned with having an enjoyable time in their learning journeys than scoring high marks. Route-learning and mugging bore them even though that seems to be the way to score in our current examination framework.

As an adult, we all know that Money is very important for survival, as well as a better standard of living. Why then is not everyone working very hard, taking a few jobs, going all the way, just to maximize our wealth?

The reason is because WE ARE EXERCISING A CHOICE. A choice to have more time for entertainment and relaxation, time to pursue our hobbies and interest, time for enriching our relationships with loved ones and time away from additional work and stress, all at the expense of more wealth.

A child, too, may wish to exercise his choice if he is allowed to or if he can afford to. Choice, not to have academic pursuit as the sole measure of his success...Choice to have more relaxation and less stress...Choice to pursue his interest... and Choice, not to compete....

We, as adults know the importance of a 'good' education from our own life experiences. A child, at 12 or below will not be able to appreciate it. Any competitive streak to excel has to be inculcated by the adults or adopted to meet the adult's expectations.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:40 pm
Total Likes: 2


Postby chengsmummy » Tue May 12, 2009 5:00 pm

I doubt that all the GEP students are 'smarter' kids. I agree with the previous post that intellegent doesn't guanrantee the good academic results.

chengsmummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:39 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby cnimed » Tue May 12, 2009 10:20 pm

Fairy's post reminded me of two housemates I had. One was very smart and VERY diligent. The other was gifted and scatter-brained, except for things he's interested in. They both did quite well, the first one consistently so, the second one had results ranging from top of class to failing. The first one had an exam attack plan starting two months before the day. The gifted one would find out from him what texts were supposed to be read (!!?) and spend the entire night before the exam cram-reading some of the texts - and then give up and cook breakfast. They both scored the same grade in the final exams. It was quite mind-boggling.

The way their mind work was certainly very different - my hardworking housemate was very clearly intelligent and sharp and extremely driven to achieve. My gifted housemate was lost in his own world most of the time, but when he was on Planet Earth, his takes and insights on things were very different from the rest (including his lecturers), and what to us are flashes of sheer brilliance was simply common sense to him and he had no idea why the rest of us didn't see it. In words of my hardworking housemate - it's just FRUSTRATING! :lol:
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:59 am
Total Likes: 2


Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection