PSLE T-Score Secrets Revealed

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

PSLE T-Score Secrets Revealed

Postby HCH » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:13 pm

Found an interesting article about PSLE T-score. Reminded me of previous discussion in this forum about marks of A/A*/Pass. I have also verified with MOE that the marks of A/A*/Pass for different PSLE subjusts are confidential and not a fixed value.

Anyway, would like to share the article here. The interesting conclusion from this article is if you would like to get high T-score, you should work harder on language subjects, that is English and MT.

Happy reading.

http://www.greatminds.edu.sg/index.php? ... &Itemid=91

HCH
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: PSLE T-Score Secrets Revealed

Postby Zhuge » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:01 pm

HCH wrote:Found an interesting article about PSLE T-score. Reminded me of previous discussion in this forum about marks of A/A*/Pass. I have also verified with MOE that the marks of A/A*/Pass for different PSLE subjusts are confidential and not a fixed value.

Anyway, would like to share the article here. The interesting conclusion from this article is if you would like to get high T-score, you should work harder on language subjects, that is English and MT.

Happy reading.

Is it true?

Zhuge
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby parentof3 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:33 pm

I got to know from a MOE teacher who told me that the passing mark for Maths in 2009 PSLE was 39. So passing mark is not constant is true. That also explains why my friend's DD who did not manage to complete the paper yet she scored a A*

parentof3
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MrBin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:19 pm

It's true. According to this formula. the lowest 4A could be ~200, the highest 4A* could be ~310. This is very logic. I believe someday in the future,somebody can break the record 294

MrBin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby oliveminx » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:29 am

It looks plausible but I disagree with their conclusion that it's easier to get higher T-score if you do well in languages. This is only true if the mean remains the same for all the subjects. In reality, with a higher SD, the mean tends to be lower while with lower SD, the mean tends to be higher.

oliveminx
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MrBin » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:21 am

I agree with your comments. Just checked their web, they updated their article, Newly recommended T-score formula is :

T = 200 + 10* ((English-70)/10.43+(Maths-64)/12.93+(Science-66)/12.33+(Chinese-73)/9.43)

MrBin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Augmum » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:27 pm

HCH wrote:Found an interesting article about PSLE T-score. Reminded me of previous discussion in this forum about marks of A/A*/Pass. I have also verified with MOE that the marks of A/A*/Pass for different PSLE subjusts are confidential and not a fixed value.

oh.... u had also vertified with MOE. :wink:
Yup, MOE had confirmed "my belief" that A* is NOT prefixed at raw marks of 91,
(or rather my suspicion that it cant possibly fixed at 91)
where most parents/pupils have this misconception.

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Augmum » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:35 pm

parentof3 wrote:I got to know from a MOE teacher who told me that the passing mark for Maths in 2009 PSLE was 39. So passing mark is not constant is true. That also explains why my friend's DD who did not manage to complete the paper yet she scored a A*

passing mark was only at 39 ?? that's very low.....
no wonder.....in that yr, despite many of gal's classmates expected a very lousy grade
as they could neither do nor finish the maths paper, but it turned out that many were getting a "A" grade.

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby work4astar » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:23 am

Zhuge wrote:

Happy reading.

Is it true?

I think its not true. I spoke to my friend who is a current teacher, he told me MT carries the lowest weightage.

work4astar
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:43 am

1. the advice to work harder on languages is probably due to smaller SD (standard deviation) in the t-score computation, hence you need to have higher raw score to ensure higher t-score for the subject. subjects like math & science based on observations at school exams tend to show larger SD, hence a difference by one SD can send the candidate to higher t-score for the subject compared with another subject with smaller SD

2. it has been repeated often enough that all 4 subjects carry equal weightage in PSLE. Even when the former Education minister tried to suggest a lower weightage for a certain subject, he quickly kena hailstones from all parents and PM Lee got to come out to assure all parents that all 4 subjects carry equal weightage. How can the teacher anyhow say MT has lowest weightage ??

the seemingly "lower weightage" is basically due to the smaller SD in the transformation of the raw score to the t-score, hence it looks like more difficult to achieve higher t-score for the languages

the smaller SD is not due to less weightage, it is due to most kids scoring around the similar marks, resulting in very close differences from the mean, giving rise to smaller SD

when the marks scored by the kids are widely scattered, it creates a larger SD, hence it is easier to get high t-score for that subject

it is now rather well established that if the exam papers are easy, more kids will get high raw scores, then the top PSLE aggregate t-score tend to be lower, eg last two years without any controversial papers, the top scores were only 282 / 283

every year when parents and kids cry over "tough" papers, the top t-scores are well beyond the high 28x, above 29x....294 in one year...
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection