Do away with PSLE? Agree? Disagree?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Do away with PSLE? Agree? Disagree?

Postby Kodomosuki » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:21 am

Dear parent ,

Should we get rid of PSLE?
Share your thought?

Kodomosuki
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Do away with PSLE? Agree? Disagree?

Postby tankee » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:43 am

if there is no standardised assessment, how to determine who gets to go which school?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby mommyNg » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:52 am

each school to set its own entrance tests??? sounds scary....

mommyNg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby alng » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:59 am

National exam is necessary unless we could find a better assessment method. However, is it appropriate to have national exam at age of 12? In some countries, the first and only national exam is at age of 18, for the purpose of entering uni.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Kissgurami » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:08 am

Disagree.

Much as it is starting to stress me a little since since my DD1 just started P1, at some point in a child's learning curve, a standardized test is needed to measure which learning level or capabillity the child is at amongst their peers.

Kissgurami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby alng » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:21 am

In any learning environment, regular assessments are in place to assess the child's learning progress. It is the comparison of the child among its peers that is causing the stress. The national ranking exercise (in the name of meritocracy) has caused Singapore to be a tuition nation, causing unnecessary stress on our kids...and we lose track of the main objective of education....do I go to school to learn or to be better than my peers? Does being better than my peers mean success? :-)

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:30 am

There is nothing wrong with the exam, everything wrong with the kiasu mindset and a lack of a strong inculcation of value system to manage this mindset.

But please don't get me wrong. It does not imply that asking for abolishment of the exam is lacking in values. That is not what I meant at all. What I mean is if we have driven the learning process from value-based approach, it would have been much easier to manage the stress level of the exam. A value-based approach would mean that everyone is happily enjoying the learning process and least worried about the placement exam. A learned person is a learned person even if he/she does not get into his/her school of choice.

Postby BeContented » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:34 am

ksi wrote:There is nothing wrong with the exam, everything wrong with the kiasu mindset.

:hi5: Agree totally.
The kids dun really compare nor care. WE started it :oops: :scared:

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:41 am

This is too great a change. It will completely de-stabilise us.

We want to fine-tune, improve and troubleshoot. In some cases, re-focus. We don't wanna sweep everything off the table and start from zero. Whilst we go about the business of making things better, there are still children to educate and the system must not suffer such humongous shocks that the children (and parents) will be completely overwhelmed.

It is not as if we have nothing worth keeping.
Last edited by Chenonceau on Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby alng » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:41 am

ksi wrote:There is nothing wrong with the exam, everything wrong with the kiasu mindset and a lack of a strong inculcation of value system to manage this mindset.

Totally agree! This mindset seems to be very common in Asian countries. My FT colleagues have been telling me that things are much worse in Sri Lanka, India, Japan, HK, .... Very difficult to reverse now.

We talk a lot about enrichment classes here. My HK friend told me that in HK, the riches will send their kids to overseas enrichment classes in Europe during the school holidays.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection