DSA - Choir

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

DSA - Choir

Postby Parent2008 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:23 pm

Hi, Can anyone advice the testing criteria for DSA via Choir? Is it necessary for the child the have a certificate or exam results? And if so, what kind of certificate? Sorry, noob here and it's so frustrating as this whole exercise seem mired in secrecy..... :scratchhead:

Parent2008
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:55 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: DSA - Choir

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:25 pm

Parent2008 wrote:Hi, Can anyone advice the testing criteria for DSA via Choir? Is it necessary for the child the have a certificate or exam results? And if so, what kind of certificate? Sorry, noob here and it's so frustrating as this whole exercise seem mired in secrecy..... :scratchhead:


what secrecy ? each school has its own requirements. go and find out from the school you are interested in. Doubt there are many schools having choir as DSA domain. Music, yes, more common than Choir
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: DSA - Choir

Postby Parent2008 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Music has a very wide scope. So what does it encompass when a school mentions "Music" as an avenue for DSA? What is the requirements? Do you need to have certs to prove you proficiency or is just being in a school choir sufficient? In the case of choir for example, how is the child's proficiency ascertained?

Thank you.

Parent2008
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:55 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: DSA - Choir

Postby zeemimi » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:47 pm

most of the time "music" refers to playing some musical instruments. hardly does it refer to choir. It is usually not difficult to find people to join a school choir. Acceptable quality of "Voice" can also be trained in a shorter period of time as compared to playing a musical instrument.
there are auditions to attend where the student has to play a piece or two. if you can provide certificates to show your proficiency in some instruments, that will be a plus point. Or winning some music competition, etc.

zeemimi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2053
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:31 pm
Total Likes: 45


Re: DSA - Choir

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:58 pm

Parent2008 wrote:Thanks for your reply.

Music has a very wide scope. So what does it encompass when a school mentions "Music" as an avenue for DSA? What is the requirements? Do you need to have certs to prove you proficiency or is just being in a school choir sufficient? In the case of choir for example, how is the child's proficiency ascertained?

Thank you.



as I said, different schools have different standard of requirement

some require the minimum grade 5 theory and practical from abrsm or equivalent to be considered for music dsa or music elective program (mep), some grade 7 practical

some require evidence of showmanship, accomplished performance etc

heard that there are also equivalent grading for chinese orchestra instruments ability ...

what kind of certification is available for Choir ? quite unheard of (i am frog in the well in this area, pardon me). Or are you referring to using choir experience as a qualifying criteria for DSA under music domain ? If this is the case, it is too little to be of significance for music dsa consideration

for more details on music DSA, you should go inquire from the schools that you are interested to DSA to. some time their website provide the info too.

when we read in public forum "music DSA" it means all the above grades and performance etc as the underlying criteria on top of reasonable academic result. yes you need certs to prove your proficiency in the instruments you learn, eg piano or violin. for some, mere pass is not good enough

sorry if this discourage you or make you feel let down. better not to put so hope in it unless the child is clearly musically talented...and put better focus and energy that will help the child excel and move on

I used to have a neighbour, really good with his violin, got his diploma at a young age ..... doing solo performance regularly.....naturally grabbed by the school, plus he was good with his studies ...
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Total Likes: 2



Re: DSA - Choir

Postby phankao » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:11 pm

zeemimi wrote:most of the time "music" refers to playing some musical instruments. hardly does it refer to choir. It is usually not difficult to find people to join a school choir. Acceptable quality of "Voice" can also be trained in a shorter period of time as compared to playing a musical instrument.
there are auditions to attend where the student has to play a piece or two. if you can provide certificates to show your proficiency in some instruments, that will be a plus point. Or winning some music competition, etc.


Voice is an instrument, wat. Can go for ABRSM Grade 8 or Diploma exams for it too. ;D People do use voice quite often as 2nd "instrument" in their Music for O-lvl or A-level exams.

Choir for DSA for Sec 1 is rare. Not so looked-upon, I guess. How to prove that the choir got their SYF Gold with Honours awards because of those few students?

Choir for DSA for JC is more common. Quite a few JCs like HCI and NJC and VJC have. Most who get in are the student conductors or section leaders. If they don't get in under DSA, they often can appeal in after Posting Results too. Probably bc in JC level, student leaders in their respective CCAs are valued. Most CCAs - practices and such are run independently by student leaders. THe conductors or teachers only come once in a while. So to have good student leaders is a great asset to the CCA.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5655
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 pm
Total Likes: 7


Re: DSA - Choir

Postby MMM » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:14 pm

Are there any SYF performance for choir?

If so and the school has a good reputation, can that be considered?

I've heard of kids using school band for DSA/ appeals. They are sometimes not graded but have performed in SYF.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 4745
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:28 pm
Total Likes: 80


Re: DSA - Choir

Postby phankao » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:22 pm

MMM wrote:Are there any SYF performance for choir?

If so and the school has a good reputation, can that be considered?

I've heard of kids using school band for DSA/ appeals. They are sometimes not graded but have performed in SYF.



Have SYF for choir, just that I've not found many schools taking DSA under choir for Sec 1 DSa. Maybe appeals - not many either, but I think have been a few.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5655
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 pm
Total Likes: 7


Re: DSA - Choir

Postby phankao » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:28 pm

Parent2008 wrote:Doubt there are many schools having choir as DSA domain. Music, yes, more common than Choir


A quick search online shows a few schools with Choir DSA. You can take a look and maybe do a bit more research/exploring online for more info:

SOTA
http://www.sota.edu.sg/Admission/Auditi ... fault.aspx

Nan Hua
ttp://www.nanhuahigh.moe.edu.sg/cos/o.x ... id=1062952

Bukit Panjang Govt High School
http://www.bpghs.moe.edu.sg/dsa/directschadmin.htm
(Vocal recital / Theory requirement at approximately Grade 5 of ABRSM (Associated Board of Royal School of Music) or equivalent.)


PLMGS
http://www.plmgss.moe.edu.sg/website200 ... ission.asp

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5655
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 pm
Total Likes: 7


Re: DSA - Choir

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:33 pm

phankao, you have finally appeared here to answer questions........

so this frog-in-the-well's croaking can go for grading by ABRSM ....phew !
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Total Likes: 2


Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection