School fees at independent schools

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

School fees at independent schools

Postby mistral77 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi

This is what I learned about the school fees at independent schools. Please provide more info if you have.

Independent schools charge school fees of $300 to $400 / student / month.
If you are the top 10% of the school cohort, you are given some 'scholarship' where your school fees are exempted.
How does the school determine who are the top 10% each year?
The top 10% of the sec 1 cohort of the school is based on PSLE results, the top 10% of the sec 2 cohort is based on the sec 1 results, and so on?

mistral77
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: School fees at independent schools

Postby Otah » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:14 pm

mistral77 wrote:Hi

This is what I learned about the school fees at independent schools. Please provide more info if you have.

If you are the top 10% of the school cohort, you are given some 'scholarship' where your school fees are exempted.
The top 10% of the sec 1 cohort of the school is based on PSLE results, the top 10% of the sec 2 cohort is based on the sec 1 results, and so on?

The scholarship is capped at $200 per month. The lowest cut-off for this scholarship so far is PSLE T-score 260.

Otah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mistral77 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:33 pm

Otah wrote:
mistral77 wrote:Hi

The scholarship is capped at $200 per month. The lowest cut-off for this scholarship so far is PSLE T-score 260.

Do you mean to say that all students with scores of 260 in PSLE will get this scholarship of $200 / month school fees, for the next 4 or 6 years of their school fees?
Will they lose this scholarship if their Sec 1 results are average?

mistral77
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Snow Crystal » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:04 pm

mistral77 wrote:Do you mean to say that all students with scores of 260 in PSLE will get this scholarship of $200 / month school fees, for the next 4 or 6 years of their school fees?
Will they lose this scholarship if their Sec 1 results are average?

Hi if you are referring to the EESIS,it's worth $200/mth for 6 years IP.
Quote MOE:
'The EESIS are awarded up to the top one-third of the total number of Secondary One pupils admitted to all Independent Schools (IS), based on their PSLE results.
The EESIS is also awarded to P6 GEP pupils who are Singapore Citizens and who meet the P6 GEP promotion criteria, and are enrolled in the IP in an Independent School at S1.'

Thus far, the KSP parents have worked out that this translates to top3% of PSLE cohort and for past 2 years EESIS COP has been 260.
So far understand that there is no explicit criteria to stay in scholarship. And we also don't wish to see such criteria - basically it's quite clear MOE wants these students to enjoy the scholarship for 6 years :evil: :evil: so as parents, we also don't press for so much information on criteria to stay in this scholarship. :wink:

In fact MOE has been generous.
For those who do not meet the EESIS COP after PSLE, after 2 years in IP, at end Year 2, MOE further dishes out ESIP (Edusave Scholarships for Integrated Programme Schools).
Quote MOE - 'The ESIP are awarded to Singapore Citizen pupils enrolled in/ admitted into the IP in an IS at Secondary Three, who do not have the EESIS and have performed well in the Integrated Programme Scholarship Test (IPST).'
For certain IPs, practically every student is on EESIS so the school will try to recommend the balance students for ESIP at end Year 2. From what I know, these students may not necessarily have very very outstanding results.

All in all, I see all these scholarships as MOE helping the top 3% students defray IP fees which are not cheap. In fact i heard that MOE used to cover whatever IP fees being charged. Then according to hearsay, the IPs took the opportunity to raise the fees (since cover by government) and MOE decided to cap it at $200/month. Qualify that this is purely hearsay -don't flame :pokeeye:

My personal take: I don't mind paying the fees nett of EESIS but many of us IP parents are not pleased with the teacher-student ratio in certain IPs. If we are been charged so much, at least reduce the teacher-student ratio to 1:20 max 1:25. Sadly, some IP classes remain as large as up to 1:35. To me, how different is this to normal secondary school. Further, with such high fees, we parents naturally expect high quality teachers too......

Snow Crystal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zekezachzoom » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:49 pm

On top of scholarship from moe, individual school may also have some kind of scholarship for top psle students who opted the school. Depending on the standing of the school, you may possibly get a scholarship with average T-score.

Zekezachzoom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jtoh » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:07 pm

Zekezachzoom wrote:On top of scholarship from moe, individual school may also have some kind of scholarship for top psle students who opted the school. Depending on the standing of the school, you may possibly get a scholarship with average T-score.

Which schools are these?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Zekezachzoom » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:26 pm

jtoh wrote:
Zekezachzoom wrote:On top of scholarship from moe, individual school may also have some kind of scholarship for top psle students who opted the school. Depending on the standing of the school, you may possibly get a scholarship with average T-score.

Which schools are these?

http://www.sji.edu.sg/subpage.php?id=111, and I know of a school that offer scholarship for those who score 230 and above just to attract better students to their school.

Zekezachzoom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby emoh » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:16 pm

If monthly gross household income does not exceed $7200 or per capita income less than $1800, can apply for MOE Independent School Bursary (ISB) Scheme

http://www.moe.gov.sg/initiatives/financial-assistance/

emoh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Pen88n » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:56 pm

EESIS is only for top 3% of students - T-Score from past years hover around 260 - 261 to qualify for this scholarship $2400 per year. However, the independent sch fee is usually about $300/+-, so it means parents stil have to fork out the difference of $100/+- per month for fees.

There are other government IP schs or non-IP schs that parents can consider if they do not want to pay such sch fee. Generally, I feel most parents do not mind the sch fee, as long as the kid can cope and enjoy sch.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:48 pm

School fees at independent schools are high...but if child enjoys school, it is worth. Understand HC International is $20K a year. SJI I is $16k :shock:

Parents, can you advise what is the amount for school fees for SJI, ACS Independent for eg ? Thanks.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection