DSA via sports

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

DSA via sports

Postby ruohoo97 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:31 am

Dear All:

I searched through the past threads, didn't find much info. Any one can share? I heard from one parent from my DS school that you need to be "national" level to be DSAed, is that so?

Thanks

ruohoo97
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: DSA via sports

Postby jtoh » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:38 am

Which sport is your son planning to DSA with? For some sports you would need to be a medal winner at Nationals or at least in the finals for Nationals. Also depends on the school you're applying for.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ruohoo97 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:52 am

My DD, swimming. She has to choose between DSA via academic or sport. She is top 5% in her school, while top 10 in national swimming meet. But I understand that she can only choose one DSA route, right?

ruohoo97
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby jtoh » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:09 am

ruohoo97 wrote:My DD, swimming. She has to choose between DSA via academic or sport. She is top 5% in her school, while top 10 in national swimming meet. But I understand that she can only choose one DSA route, right?

You can only indicate one DSA domain - academic or sports. If your dd is a medal winner at Nationals, her chances of getting in via DSA swimming is very high, almost assured. In fact, she may already have been contacted by some of the swimming coaches to apply? If she's a National finalist, she stands a chance too but it depends on where she's planning to apply bec schools will want to take in the medallists first.

DSA via academics is rather more difficult. I don't know which school your dd is aiming for, but for DSA, many schools look out exceptional talent in a particular subject, be it Math, English, MT or Science. If you're an all-rounder but no exceptional talent in any one subject, you might be better off getting in via your PSLE results because you will do well there.

One thing to note - if you DSA via swimming, your dd is expected to represent the school in swimming throughout her years in the school. Make sure this is a commitment she is willing to undertake. I have a friend's dd who DSAd via swimming (to a 2nd tier school) and regretted it because she disliked swimming in Sec 1 but could not back out of her DSA commitment.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ks2011 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:20 am

Like jtoh said, if your dd is committed to swimming, DSA sports would be a better option.

ks2011
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ruohoo97 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks for reply. DD is committed to swim. The thing is I am afraid that she will end up in "sport class"

ruohoo97
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby jtoh » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:13 pm

ruohoo97 wrote:Thanks for reply. DD is committed to swim. The thing is I am afraid that she will end up in "sport class"

Which school is your dd aiming for? Not all schools have dedicated sports classes. Some spread the sports students around and if your dd is academically strong she will be placed in a strong class too. Depends on the school.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ruohoo97 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:17 pm

She is aiming for RGS and NYGH.

ruohoo97
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby jtoh » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:26 pm

ruohoo97 wrote:She is aiming for RGS and NYGH.

There are no dedicated sports classes in RGS. The sports girls are distributed across the standard. Girls who DSAd via the same sport may be placed in the same class but these are not weaker classes. They're regular classes with students who got in via S1 Central Posting or DSA academic so their T-scores are generally >260.

I'm not sure how the class situation is like in NYGH. Maybe some other parents can advise.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ruohoo97 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:29 pm

:thankyou:

ruohoo97
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection