Children and PSLE

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Children and PSLE

Postby school_prefect » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:14 pm

Hi guys, just asking. How does one help their child prepare for PSLE and what can the child do by himself/herself to prepare for it ?(especially for those who do not like to study)?

school_prefect
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Children and PSLE

Postby Michaelia0816 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:33 pm

actually i was once a child who did not like to study but a secret web( cannot tell) helped me not by games but a common problem sums which then helped me to get first in class.dude.

Michaelia0816
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby janet88 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:51 pm

school_prefect wrote:Hi guys, just asking. How does one help their child prepare for PSLE and what can the child do by himself/herself to prepare for it ?(especially for those who do not like to study)?

I don't think many parents will let their kids prepare for PSLE by themselves. It's a crucial year and the most important in the whole of primary school education. Which kid likes to study ? Mine here complains about having to attend school, get hw done and learn spelling.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fightingmom » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Unless the child is mature enough but at this stage usually parents are more gan jiong and will most probably guide them rather than "leave them alone" to prepare.

fightingmom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby babyJC » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:48 am

:xedfingers: Absolutely right! In fact, some mothers are even prepared to quit their jobs or take no paid leave for that critical year.

babyJC
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby janet88 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:41 pm

babyJC wrote::xedfingers: Absolutely right! In fact, some mothers are even prepared to quit their jobs or take no paid leave for that critical year.

A friend of mine took 1 year LOA from her job to be present for her son. She may not know everything but her presence meant a great deal. The result is astonishing !!! 4 A*s.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ruohoo97 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:11 am

The Last one year may not be enough. In my son's school, I have observed some P6 boys need a lot help in studies. But, "gasp", now seems too late to help. Some of them have only P1 level for Chinese and P3 level for maths and Science. I think their parents should do something much earlier!

ruohoo97
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby janet88 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:45 pm

babyJC wrote::xedfingers: Absolutely right! In fact, some mothers are even prepared to quit their jobs or take no paid leave for that critical year.

Being present for the child at just P6 is insufficient...of course it is not always possible to take no pay leave for too long. My son is in P6 this year. It is a tough and stressful year. He has already cried bcos of stress and insufficient time to get math tuition hw done. He is tired bcos of school and getting hw done. Time is tight. He is used to take a nap everyday or else he will be cranky.

Just yest, I had to re-look at his time table again. Lost count of the number of times I had to edit it.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummy so kiasu » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:23 pm

fightingmom wrote:Unless the child is mature enough but at this stage usually parents are more gan jiong and will most probably guide them rather than "leave them alone" to prepare.

I guess parents do not want to take risk. This is a crucial year & kids are still not so mature at this age.

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummy so kiasu » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:31 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:

A friend of mine took 1 year LOA from her job to be present for her son. She may not know everything but her presence meant a great deal. The result is astonishing !!! 4 A*s.

Not all of them get A* when their mum take LOA. If this is the case, most mum will quit their job for the kids. Why not? I think it is worth it. I am a stay at home mum. Hope my boy could get 4A* too. :rotflmao:

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection