Merits of single-sex school and mixed school

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Merits of single-sex school and mixed school

Postby mistral77 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:44 pm

Would you like to share the merits of
i. single-sex school and
ii. mixed school

Should this be a criteria for school selection?

mistral77
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Merits of single-sex school and mixed school

Postby Zhuge » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:54 am

nowadays, kids matured very early and very fast
they start their boy-girl-relationship much earlier
for girls, it is natural for parents to worry
girls' schools may be a good choice
not necessary that they won't start a bgr relationship if in a girls' school though, but the chances probably lowered

Zhuge
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:07 pm

:evil: well, even during our time, we had boy-boy or girl-girl relations ...maybe not real dating but still enough of a distraction. :cool:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby emoh » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:44 pm

mistral77 wrote:Would you like to share the merits of
i. single-sex school and
ii. mixed school

Should this be a criteria for school selection?

can't help but notice many of the top IP schs / band 1 schs are single-sex

RI, RGS, HCI, NYGH, ACS(I), SJI, Cedar, SCGS, MGS, Catholic High, Victoria, Crescent, TKGS, St Nicholas

Co-ed includes: RV, Dunman High, Anderson, Xinmin, BPGH, Anglican, Nan Hua

emoh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby fightingmom » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:19 pm

Zhuge wrote:nowadays, kids matured very early and very fast
they start their boy-girl-relationship much earlier
for girls, it is natural for parents to worry
girls' schools may be a good choice
not necessary that they won't start a bgr relationship if in a girls' school though, but the chances probably lowered

Agreed with Zhuge! DH and i are seriously considering a single-sex school for my DD next year (she is taking her PSLE this year :yikes: ). We believe and hope that there will be less distraction. :pray: However, seeing all the good girls' school COP are all rather high. :sweat: :nailbite:

fightingmom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiaaik » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:11 am

In the recently concluded Inter-School Track and Field Championships, the single-sex schools, with the exception of Singapore Sports School, totally dominated, occupying the 1st seven positions for Boys B n C Divisions:

B Division
1 Hwa Chong Institution
2 Victoria School
3 Catholic High School
4 Singapore Sports School
5 Raffles Institution
6 Anglo-Chinese School (Independent)
7 St Joseph's Institution
8 Ahmad Ibrahim Sec School
9 Chung Cheng High (Main)
10 Seng Kang Sec School
11 Dunman High School
11 Bendemeer Sec School
13 Ngee Ann Sec School
14 Temasek Sec School
15 Regent Sec School
15 St Patrick's School
17 Nan Hua Sec School
18 Queenstown Secondary School
18 Bedok Green Sec School
18 Woodlands Sec School

C Division
1 Hwa Chong Institution
2 Singapore Sports School
3 Raffles Institution
4 Catholic High School
5 Victoria School
6 St Joseph's Institution
7 Anglo-Chinese School (Independent)
8 Jurong Sec School
8 Ahmad Ibrahim Sec School
10 Dunman High School
11 Hua Yi Sec School
12 Commonwealth Sec School
13 Seng Kang Sec School
14 Guangyang Sec School
14 Deyi Sec School
16 Gan Eng Seng Sec School
16 Chung Cheng High (Main)
16 St Patrick's School
16 Temasek Sec School

http://results.schoolsports.sg/sectrack ... vscore.htm

kiaaik
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:38 pm

Nebbermind wrote::evil: well, even during our time, we had boy-boy or girl-girl relations ...maybe not real dating but still enough of a distraction. :cool:

In primary school, boys dislike girls and avoid them. They are simply anti-girls.
Come sec school, they start to take note of opposite sex. My daughter is in a all girls pri school now. I want my son to attend all boys sec. The hormones start to surge and eyes send electric currents. No, no, no. Single sex school please.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:11 am

I note that the parents who have responded here are mainly concerned with the risk of BGR affecting studies. My husband and I chose a girls school for my daughter for different reasons. We realise that boys tend to be more outspoken and active and sometimes less disciplined, so they tend to get more attention from teachers. Girls, by nature and by upbringing, tend to be required to be more quiet and self-effacing and may get overlooked to some extent. Our daughter is not so forceful in character, so having her in an all-girls school up to 16yo seemed like a better option. We are not so concerned about the dangers of BGR, and we actually believe that exposure to the opposite sex while growing up is a good thing. Church activities will supply that for our girls, we hope. Both my husband and I were from single-sex schools.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:24 am

My daughter is in a single sex school. Principal and teachers constantly drill the 'be a lady' mentality into their heads...i love it. Discipline is better.
My son's school is co-Ed. His classmates are mainly boys...they are loud, hyperactive and attention-seeking. Agree with what simkhoo mentioned, I want daughter to remain in single sex school till she finishes O levels.

As for my son, he tells me frequently that girls in school do not sit properly and behave like the boys (too much interaction).

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:46 am

janet_lee88 wrote:My daughter is in a single sex school. Principal and teachers constantly drill the 'be a lady' mentality into their heads...i love it. Discipline is better.
My son's school is co-Ed. His classmates are mainly boys...they are loud, hyperactive and attention-seeking. Agree with what simkhoo mentioned, I want daughter to remain in single sex school till she finishes O levels.

As for my son, he tells me frequently that girls in school do not sit properly and behave like the boys (too much interaction).

My own experience is that girls in an all-girls school learn to be more independent and have the 'we can do anything just like the boys' attitude because there are no boys around. Teachers can't ask for 'big strong boys' to move things or do rougher jobs! I must confess that my friends and I were not particularly lady-like, and that message wasn't really stressed to us (or maybe we ignored it). We did learn to sit properly and be more feminine eventually.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection