How many DSA schools did you apply to?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

8%
10%
49%
13%
15%
3%
>5
3%

Total votes : 39

Postby jtoh » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Just a fun poll while the applicants wait for emails and calls from the schools for GAT, subject tests, interviews, CCA trials and auditions etc.

Why not share with us the schools you applied to as well and cheer each other on. :)

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Re: How many DSA schools did you apply to?

Postby sautille » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:37 pm

DD applied to RGS and NYGH. Told her to work hard for PSLE to build a good foundation for secondary school work.

sautille
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jtoh » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:53 pm

sautille wrote:DD applied to RGS and NYGH. Told her to work hard for PSLE to build a good foundation for secondary school work.

Where's the LIKE button? :)

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jtoh » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:55 pm

Chatted with a couple of friends and they told me their kids were trying out for 2 schools. But one was trying out for 4.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby BeContented » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:55 pm

:oops: I also end up trying for 4 schools - RV, NUSH, HCI, ACS

Original didn't plan for any cos' wasn't pinning any hope, think waste of time.

Kenna scolded by friends so ok lah, try RV....good school and near home.
Later, decided to try NUSH since DS likes Maths and already planning to DSA, 1 and 2 makes no difference.

Then go HCI open house and realised, really like HCI and would prefer it as 1st choice. DH likes HCI too & insisted I try too. Get it good, dun get....experience loh.

Finally, friend (teacher in ACSI) 'brainwashed' us that IB is a very good programme.....so end up also applied. :sweat:

From plan zero to FULL of unrealistic hopes.....what an irony :roll:

Next year probably another year of 'dilemma' cos' it's DD turn. Choice of schools all different......

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby little kiasu » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:13 pm

BeContented wrote::oops: I also end up trying for 4 schools - RV, NUSH, HCI, ACS

Original didn't plan for any cos' wasn't pinning any hope, think waste of time.

Kenna scolded by friends so ok lah, try RV....good school and near home.
Later, decided to try NUSH since DS likes Maths and already planning to DSA, 1 and 2 makes no difference.

Then go HCI open house and realised, really like HCI and would prefer it as 1st choice. DH likes HCI too & insisted I try too. Get it good, dun get....experience loh.

Finally, friend (teacher in ACSI) 'brainwashed' us that IB is a very good programme.....so end up also applied. :sweat:

From plan zero to FULL of unrealistic hopes.....what an irony :roll:

Next year probably another year of 'dilemma' cos' it's DD turn. Choice of schools all different......

same here.... didn't plan ... end up 4 :oops:

little kiasu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MMM » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:41 pm

little kiasu wrote:same here.... didn't plan ... end up 4 :oops:

Sure or not???? Don't plan can try for DSA???

On a serious note, my impression is that DSA is something that requires planning early regardless which area you are targetting for??? Or do I have a misconception?

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Sun_2010 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:27 pm

MMM wrote:

On a serious note, my impression is that DSA is something that requires planning early regardless which area you are targetting for??? Or do I have a misconception?

Planning is always good.

But for some of us, if it wasnt for the last minute , no work gets done. :wink:

Just my opinion -
Besides knowing some details ,which schools you want to check out, it is not necessary to really plan ahead. ie. not much preparation is needed.

There is the cumbersome task fo gathering the certs and certified copies which can be done earlier. Having a portfolio may save time , not sure how useful it really is. But everyone does, it so better to have it ready than a last minute scramble.

But the real factor for me is the emotional stress.

In case of the child being the sensitive sort - too many DSA can stress the child (and parent) .

Round one exam, then wait for result. If not thru then heart pain.
If thru , got round 2 exam then another nerve wrecking wait.
If not thru then heart pain.
If thru , then check if school needs interview. If so, then preparation and practice. And another wait nail biting wait.

Multiply that by the number of schools you DSA.

Also note that the Final COs are sent out very close to the PSLE oral exams. Not a good time for bad news :skeptical:

DD DSAed for 2 schools while i was pushing for 3. Thank God we did only 2.

That said there were some from her class who DSAed for 6 / 7 schools. And they survived. well, To each his own.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:55 pm

6-7 schools!!!

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby little kiasu » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:12 pm

MMM wrote:

Sure... u can try as many as you like... only things is whether you can get it or not..... those people plan in advance... may not be last minute like me :lol: need to find what cert my ds got :wink: .... DSA-sport is not really necessary to prepare as depend on kids... for parent, just copy cert and pay $ and submit finish liao ... only need to take leave from office as need to bring ds to trial & test ..... for NUSH, I think also nothing to prepare :evil: ... may be I dont know how to prepare :nailbite:

little kiasu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection