TOP choice for my children's Sec Sch

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Which school is your TOP choice

Poll ended at Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:45 am

ACS(I)
8%
Catholic High
6%
Cedar Girls/MGS/St Nich
6%
Dunman High
10%
HCI
4%
NanHua
No votes
NJC
No votes
NUSH
6%
NYGS
10%
RGS
16%
RI
10%
River Valley High
6%
SCGS
3%
SJI
4%
Victoria
8%
Others
3%

Total votes : 89

TOP choice for my children's Sec Sch

Postby BeContented » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:45 am

If you/your child is able to choose any sec school of his/her choice, which is your/your child's first choice? Why? And is distance a consideration?

PS :
Soooo sorry :oops: .....I added more options and all the earlier data gone.
Vote again pls :wink:

Factors for considerations :--
1. Child's ability
2. Co-Ed or Single-sex school
3. Location / Proximity
4. Religion/Culture eg. Catholic schools, SAP schools
5. CCA offerred
Any more?
Last edited by BeContented on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:55 am, edited 4 times in total.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: TOP choice for my children's Sec Sch

Postby janet88 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:15 am

BeContented wrote:If you/your child is able to choose any sec school of his/her choice, which is your/your child's first choice? Why? And is distance a consideration?

If my son's PSLE results are good enough, he will want to attend ACS I.
Distance is also a consideration...with longer school hours and CCA, I don't want him to go to a school too far away to avoid spending long hours on the bus.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:43 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:
BeContented wrote:If you/your child is able to choose any sec school of his/her choice, which is your/your child's first choice? Why? And is distance a consideration?

Distance is also a consideration...with longer school hours and CCA, I don't want him to go to a school too far away to avoid spending long hours on the bus.

Yes, Distance is one of the crucial deciding factor.
As we are all aware that sec school life is very taxing and tight scheduled,
Imagine the extra 1 hr spent on road, can be an extra of 1 hr of sleep/ rest for them.
Already they are deprived of sleep hrs, dont lessen it.

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mummy so kiasu » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:58 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:

What is the traveling time from your place to ACS (I)? Do you consider an hour in the bus as long?

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:24 pm

My choice would be RI or catholic high. They are the nearest branded sec sch to home.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lynn2010 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:27 pm

Yes yes.... parents, please consider distance. In secondary, kids dismissed later than pri sch, more subjects, more hmwk, need more time for revision for CT & exam. In addition, school activities, CIP, etc.

My dds in secondary sch, dismiss 2 pm (2 days) and 2.40pm (3 days), by the time they board a bus, reach home around 3pm/3.30pm (we live 10 min drive from sch). By the time they eat, shower, rest for while etc it is already 4pm/4.30pm. Then they start homework. They may have to stay back up to 5pm/5.30pm, as there are other activities in school. Some time, dd has to stay up to almost 12am to complete homework. On good days, they complete homework and go to bed by 11pm.

Weekends are the only 2 days they can catch up with some extra sleep hours.

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mummy so kiasu » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:30 pm

Imami wrote:My choice would be RI or catholic high. They are the nearest branded sec sch to home.

We are considering RI or Catholic High too. Chance of going to RI might not be high, most probably end up in Catholic High. Not staying near the schools, but with MRT, traveling time is less than an hour.

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummy so kiasu » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:36 pm

Lynn2010 wrote:Yes yes.... parents, please consider distance. In secondary, kids dismissed later than pri sch, more subjects, more hmwk, need more time for revision for CT & exam. In addition, school activities, CIP, etc.

My dds in secondary sch, dismiss 2 pm (2 days) and 2.40pm (3 days), by the time they board a bus, reach home around 3pm/3.30pm (we live 10 min drive from sch). By the time they eat, shower, rest for while etc it is already 4pm/4.30pm. Then they start homework. They may have to stay back up to 5pm/5.30pm, as there are other activities in school. Some time, dd has to stay up to almost 12am to complete homework. On good days, they complete homework and go to bed by 11pm.

Weekends are the only 2 days they can catch up with some extra sleep hours.

Oh dear, someone told me that Sec 1 is less stressful than P6. No more PSLE & school bag also get lighter too. Do homework till 12am? No joke, not much different from P6 school life. Singapore education is indeed very stressful. :nailbite: :sweat:
Last edited by mummy so kiasu on Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lynn2010 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:46 pm

mummy so kiasu, not every day work till 12am, about once a week or once a fortnight, but i already heart pain.

Lots of projects too. Some times so much activity in school

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lynn2010 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:48 pm

For example, DD1 is not back yet (now 10.50pm) as she is attending a school dinner. Although it is not compulsory, but 99% of your classmates attend....

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection