Review of Secondary/IP Schools

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Review of Secondary/IP Schools

Postby CentralControl » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:44 am

Original Title: can help me?

Hi alL! I want to enroll my son to a good school, one with a very well rounded education and a not very stressful environtment, so, can you people please give me comments on these schools? SJI? RI? ACS(I)? HCI? and NUS High? I my son is still in p5, though I wont say the school, becaus I hate that school, not worth mentioning... :?:

CentralControl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby titank » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:11 am

The schools that you listed are gererally very good schools.Guess the most important is to score good grades in PSLE then can enter.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: can help me?

Postby Fairy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:35 pm

CentralControl wrote:Hi alL! I want to enroll my son to a good school, one with a very well rounded education and a not very stressful environtment, so, can you people please give me comments on these schools? SJI? RI? ACS(I)? HCI? and NUS High? I my son is still in p5, though I wont say the school, becaus I hate that school, not worth mentioning... :?:

It's almost impossible to find a good school that does not come with a stressful environment. Of course, that depends on how you define 'good'. Of the schools you mentioned, SJI should have the least stressful learning environment, followed by ACS(I). All, except SJI are IP schools (6-year programme).

The following are just my opinion:

RI - well rounded. Excel in sports, excel in studies. students are encouraged to take up as many CCAs/activities/leadership positions as they can cope. CCAs are not for recreation. Match support for school team competitions are complusory.

HCI - well rounded. Excel in sports, excel in studies; perhaps not by the same set of students. Students are encouraged to take up 1 CCA and concentrate on doing well. At JC level, students are encourged to drop subjects that they can't do well and concentrate in excelling at those that they can. Shorter school hours compared to RI.

NUSH - CCA is not a 'big thing' here. Subjects are modular, so one progresses at his own speed. Quite a bit of flexibility in terms of subject combination/choice. Since Science & Maths are at higher level than other IP schools, it would be 'stressful' if one is not very good at them. Although the Science & Maths are supposed to be at a higher level than other IP schools, the number of Olympiad winners are still much lesser than RI/HCI so far.

ACSI - a less stressful environment academically. Due to the parents-profile of the school, it may be 'stressful' for your child if you are not one of the rich &/or famous. Heard that one of the sec1 students this year has body guards stationed outside his classroom!

SJI - least stressful here. However, stress comes at the end of sec4 when he has to take the o levels & unsure of which JC he can further his studies.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby CentralControl » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:33 pm

So if I were to enroll him at SJI, will be be a good choice? I mean, if its not IP, is it still a good school? and don't you guys think SJI's campus is too small? and what else makes NUSH so great?

CentralControl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MdmKS » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:56 pm

CentralControl wrote:So if I were to enroll him at SJI, will be be a good choice? I mean, if its not IP, is it still a good school? and don't you guys think SJI's campus is too small? and what else makes NUSH so great?

VS and Maris Stella also good for boy. :D

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sunflower » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:55 am

MdmKS wrote:VS and Maris Stella also good for boy. :D

Thought Maris Stella gd sch too but one of my friend's boy in Maris Stella but he didn't really like it.

sunflower
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby csc » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:36 am

It's almost impossible to find a good school that does not come with a stressful environment. Of course, that depends on how you define 'good'. Of the schools you mentioned, SJI should have the least stressful learning environment, followed by ACS(I). All, except SJI are IP schools (6-year programme).

The following are just my opinion:

RI - well rounded. Excel in sports, excel in studies. students are encouraged to take up as many CCAs/activities/leadership positions as they can cope. CCAs are not for recreation. Match support for school team competitions are complusory.

HCI - well rounded. Excel in sports, excel in studies; perhaps not by the same set of students. Students are encouraged to take up 1 CCA and concentrate on doing well. At JC level, students are encourged to drop subjects that they can't do well and concentrate in excelling at those that they can. Shorter school hours compared to RI.

NUSH - CCA is not a 'big thing' here. Subjects are modular, so one progresses at his own speed. Quite a bit of flexibility in terms of subject combination/choice. Since Science & Maths are at higher level than other IP schools, it would be 'stressful' if one is not very good at them. Although the Science & Maths are supposed to be at a higher level than other IP schools, the number of Olympiad winners are still much lesser than RI/HCI so far.

ACSI - a less stressful environment academically. Due to the parents-profile of the school, it may be 'stressful' for your child if you are not one of the rich &/or famous. Heard that one of the sec1 students this year has body guards stationed outside his classroom!

SJI - least stressful here. However, stress comes at the end of sec4 when he has to take the o levels & unsure of which JC he can further his studies.

Just to share with you all some of the school stereotypes according to a sunday times report on april 19 2009.

RI - Highly intelligent, competitive, ambitious

Know quite a lot of RI boys who are very intellectual and overly serious.., not the fun-loving type, like to crack 冷笑话 --- my hub is one of them (so he would never join this forum) --
but he has changed since knowing and marrying me... :lol: And, he objects his dear son from going into his alma meta -- would prefer him to join the rival school instead...

HCI - Mandarin- speaking, reserved, hardworking

Definitely out for the "kantang"s...

ACSI - socially adept, well-groomed, sleek

Very charming and knows when to be politically correct, speaks well with well-to-do parents, fun-loving

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:45 am

sunflower wrote:
MdmKS wrote:VS and Maris Stella also good for boy. :D

Thought Maris Stella gd sch too but one of my friend's boy in Maris Stella but he didn't really like it.

care to share why he dun like it?:)

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby san76 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:29 am

HI,

Why nobody mention Catholic High?

san76
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby CentralControl » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:52 pm

san76 wrote:HI,

Why nobody mention Catholic High?

I already said in my first post that I dont want to mention the school where my son is currently at.

Also, as you guys pointed out the other great things of other schools, what do you guys think of josephians? how is SJI a good school? and don't you think that their campus is too small? please, I really need help deciding, I a confident my son can get a high PSLE score, so I'm inclined to either SJI or RI

CentralControl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection