SECONDARY SCHOOL AROUND ANG MO KIO

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

SECONDARY SCHOOL AROUND ANG MO KIO

Postby concern_mum » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:17 pm

Hi

My son did not do well in the Prelim, I expect him to score from 190 to 200 at the most. Need some feedback on some of the 2nd tier Sch Sch in AMK. I hope those who have seen or heard anything about any school can share with me. I intend to put him in Express even though he could not go to those better school in AMK.

concern_mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: SECONDARY SCHOOL AROUND ANG MO KIO

Postby Blue Dolphin » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:04 pm

concern_mum wrote:Hi

My son did not do well in the Prelim, I expect him to score from 190 to 200 at the most. Need some feedback on some of the 2nd tier Sch Sch in AMK. I hope those who have seen or heard anything about any school can share with me. I intend to put him in Express even though he could not go to those better school in AMK.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissi ... nglish.pdf

See page C-1 for schools in AMK area

Blue Dolphin
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby concern_mum » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:23 am

hi Blue Dolphin

thanks for the info, there are not many school my DS can go to my only concern is the school value and environment.

concern_mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kitty2 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:44 am

concern_mum wrote:Hi

Most of the school in AMK express need more than 200.

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Edureach » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:09 pm

concern_mum

Take a look at Beatty Sec which is located just off the outskirt of Toa Payoh. Their express cut off is in the region of around low 210. In recent yrs, they managed to be placed at around band 9-10 occassionally.

You should also consider placing your ds to NA stream of Zhong Hua or Presbyterian High and look forward to having the opportunities to be promoted to express at end of sec1. Discipline. motivation and resilence are some of the keys.

Hopefully, your ds do much better than his prelims. Also pray for him and hope that he can proceed to do his desired course in Nanyang poly and eventually does well there.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby concern_mum » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:16 pm

Thanks Edureach

I was contemplating if i should put him in NA as my worry was he may go down the drain further.

concern_mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Edureach » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:26 pm

concern_mum

The bottom line is if he scored just below 200, is better to place him in NA of a known neighbourhood sec sch. At least you can look forward to promotion to express if he does well in addition to better enviroment vis-a vis lesser knwn schs. The discipline at Zhong Hua is relatively strict while at Presbytarian High, good values will be imparted to him. The latter will pray for your kid whether he is a believer or not. Miracles may just happen, we don't know.

Let me share with you two success stories:

1. A guy who is now in 2nd yr of ns scored 194 psle yr 2004 and studied at Serangoon jc, a lower tier jc. He did well to secure a place in NUS faculty of engineering and will matriculate next year.

2. This one is a much more stunning case. This guy who is now serving ns studied at Millenia Institute, a 3-yr A-levels course. He topped his school last year and qualified for a place in a local law school. In the process of selection, he miraculously fenced off competitions from many good students hailed from top jcs. He will matriculate in yr 2014.

You need to enforce strict discipline without been seen as nagging. Praise him when opportunities arise and hopefully, he will take off.

I look forward to hearing a success story from you in the near future.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby concern_mum » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Thanks Edureach

Your words are very encouraging and motivating. It really helps me a lot in making a decision. What do you think of Ang Mo Kio or Mayflower secondary? They are very nice to my house.

concern_mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kitty2 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:39 pm

concern_mum wrote:Thanks Edureach

Your words are very encouraging and motivating. It really helps me a lot in making a decision. What do you think of Ang Mo Kio or Mayflower secondary? They are very nice to my house.

They are not as good as the 2 schools which Edureach had mentioned.

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Edureach » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:39 pm

concern_mum

I don't hve much to share about these two schools. One thing you can do now is to chk their schools' ranking and cop. The lower the cut off and higher the ranking is the higher valued added one.

At the end of the day, choose one he's more comfortable with as he's going to spend the next few yrs there.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection