PSLE COP 2010

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
BeckyP
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by BeckyP » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:28 pm

ks2me wrote:Other interesting facts:

1. The independent secondary schools attract the Top 5 % of each PSLE cohort and are targeted at students who are
clearly university-bound.

2. The SAP schools normally attract the Top 10% - 20% of each PSLE cohort.

3. Students who are in the Top 10% of their PSLE cohort will be given an option by the Ministry of Education to study a foreign language (French / German/ Japanese)

4. NUS High School, SOTA and SST are targeted at students with specific talents.
Hi, wonder if you know for the top 20% of this year's PSLE cohort, what is the lowest T-score?

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by turquoise » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:04 pm

atutor2001 wrote:my 1st kid drop 3rd lang at Sec 4 (so as not to pull down the GPA)
my 2nd kid drop 3rd lang at Sec 3 (plain tiring)
my 3rd kid drop 3rd lang at Sec 2 (plain lazy)
:rotflmao:

jitancat
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by jitancat » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:26 pm

turquoise wrote:
atutor2001 wrote:my 1st kid drop 3rd lang at Sec 4 (so as not to pull down the GPA)
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

JonC
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:18

Post by JonC » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:53 am

There is moe website (found in this forum) which you can key in the school name and you can view the past three years special and express cut off point. :D

I remember Cath High is 250 for special stream, same as ST Nic.

MOE figures should be accurate. Can someone verify the top ten school in first post is accurate.

CentralControl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by CentralControl » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:30 pm

I dont really think that we should just judge which schools to the top 10, I mean, the top 10 tell me my child will have a high chance of being smart, but at the same time, it also tells me that the child will have little time for fun. The top 10 doesn't tell me if my child will grow up to have morals. So parents, I really think we should not just judge a school by its position. I mean, I believe schools like Cath High or SJI (mission schools) give a very strong moral character to its students. But schools like RI or HCI, I think don't give much attention to the morals of its students, they rather give more attention to their academics. Also, the top 10 only remain top 10 because the students that enroll in to them are already top10 material. Give those top ten students with a failing PSLE, they wont be top ten anymore I assure you. I will enroll my child in SJI btw. I believe its the perfect school for my boy, he likes it, I like it, and I believe SJI shall turn him into a real man. someone to take care of me when I grow old. :D

Also, I believe the complete saying was: Ri boys will rule singapore, ACS boys will own singapore, and SJI boys will serve singapore.

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by atutor2001 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:42 pm

jitancat wrote:
turquoise wrote:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Suddenly I remembered my nightmares with my kids' 3rd lang :

1. Original Scheduled 3rd lang day clashed with CCA and need to change 3rd lang day (amazingly, without fail, it happened every year)
2. Missing school bus to MOELC because school lesson was extended
3. Always attending makeup classes because original scheduled day clashed with some more important CCA.
4. Poor kids eating SuperCoffee Mix instant noodle at MOELC if they take the first session of 3rd lang because no time for lunch
5. Poor kids waiting aimlessly in school if they take the 2nd session of 3rd lang because it starts only at 4.30 (I remember so)

On a few occasion, I was so confused that poor me was waiting stupidly at Henderson Road to pick them from school only to receive SMS that they were waiting for me at Bishan :cry:

The other day, they asked me to buy SuperCoffee Mix instant noodle - curry flavour because they missed the good old taste. Surprisingly couldn't find any in the supermarket.

Lastly, the lousy Jap Text book would change a little bit every year. So text books cannot past down and are damn ex. :cry:
Last edited by atutor2001 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HoneyMong
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by HoneyMong » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:43 pm

Thanks Central Control.
My boy scored 237, wants to go to SJI for its "moral character" building, but the COP proves too high to reach.
Is there any similar "character" school which we can try?
Thanks.

jitancat
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by jitancat » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:29 pm

atutor2001 wrote:Suddenly I remembered my nightmares with my kids' 3rd lang :

1. Original Scheduled 3rd lang day clashed with CCA and need to change 3rd lang day (amazingly, without fail, it happened every year)
2. Missing school bus to MOELC because school lesson was extended
3. Always attending makeup classes because original scheduled day clashed with some more important CCA.
4. Poor kids eating SuperCoffee Mix instant noodle at MOELC if they take the first session of 3rd lang because no time for lunch
5. Poor kids waiting aimlessly in school if they take the 2nd session of 3rd lang because it starts only at 4.30 (I remember so)

On a few occasion, I was so confused that poor me was waiting stupidly at Henderson Road to pick them from school only to receive SMS that they were waiting for me at Bishan :cry:

The other day, they asked me to buy SuperCoffee Mix instant noodle - curry flavour because they missed the good old taste. Surprisingly couldn't find any in the supermarket.

Lastly, the lousy Jap Text book would change a little bit every year. So text books cannot past down and are damn ex. :cry:

You are very funny !!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Your description really makes me :rotflmao: hmm... looks like have to juggle between 3rd, CCA and Piano lesson.... and Chinese .... ah damn ...:stupid:

I hope my son could cope up with it, he's taking Japanese. If can't cope, got to take reference from you. But if Japn as 3rd not accepted by MOE, he will not take any other 3rd language, only Jap we are keen.

And ya, the Jap text are damn ex, every thing that is "Jap-related" are damn ex....their supermart is so ex......pen..sive and so many Japs still buying and not going to local supermart. Sometimes I'm so angry with this "Jap" thing here and there.

KiWee
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Third Language

Post by KiWee » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:53 pm

1. My son withdrew his French in Sec 2 before the year-end exam

2. My daughter withdrew her Japanese after 6 months into the course.

During the Sec 1 parents meeting, the sec sch said that most dropped 3rd lang due to heavy sch commitments.

Although we knew that it is very hard to sustain 3rd language course for 4 years, we let the kids go through the course to see how far they can go.

No harm in extra learning. But the text books are expensive, though the course iis free.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Third Language

Post by daisyt » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:01 pm

KiWee wrote:Although we knew that it is very hard to sustain 3rd language course for 4 years, we let the kids go through the course to see how far they can go.

No harm in extra learning. But the text books are expensive, though the course iis free.
Hi KiWee, I agree with you and am doing the same. In fact my girl scored A2 for her french in year 1. She is continuing next year. 走一步,算一步 :D