Choosing a sec sch

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Choosing a sec sch

Postby eve74sg » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:22 pm

My daughter is in P5 this yr. I am trying to shortlist some schools for her.

She is currently in a chinese pri school. However, she starts to like branded stuff and branded tuition centres,http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/posting.php?mode=post&f=48# She seems to care quite abit about how people look at her also.

I hope to find a sec school that can help to teach her good morals and values and not be overly concern with branded/expensive things. Isit true that most girls in convent schools behave like that?

Anyone has good recommendations?

eve74sg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Choosing a sec sch

Postby Crester » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:39 pm

eve74sg wrote:My daughter is in P5 this yr. I am trying to shortlist some schools for her.

She is currently in a chinese pri school. However, she starts to like branded stuff and branded tuition centres,http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/posting.php?mode=post&f=48# She seems to care quite abit about how people look at her also.

I hope to find a sec school that can help to teach her good morals and values and not be overly concern with branded/expensive things. Isit true that most girls in convent schools behave like that?

Do u want a Girls' or CoEdu school?
Next, what sort of std of Sec Schs are u target'g?
High Tier Banded Schs...??!

Crester
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby eve74sg » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:28 am

I am ok with Co-ed or Girls school. Well, if her score can be around 250, can she qualify for High Tier Banded schools?

eve74sg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Crester » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:43 am

eve74sg wrote:I am ok with Co-ed or Girls school. Well, if her score can be around 250, can she qualify for High Tier Banded schools?

Sure, with score of 250, she can lots of renowned Sec Schs.
Next, it'd the distance. Which part of Sin do stay? Which area of the Schs are u looking at? North/West/Central/ East ???

Crester
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby eve74sg » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:47 am

We are staying around central area, I am targeting her score from 240-250.

eve74sg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Crester » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:54 pm

eve74sg wrote:We are staying around central area, I am targeting her score from 240-250.

Yr dd must b smart.
With score 240-250, many choices to choose from.
- Crescent Girls' (I'm sure it's very near yr place) COP 243
- Nan Hua ( Clementi area ) COP 243
These are Schs nearer to yr place.
If want further areas, there are afew as well.

Crester
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasumummy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:11 pm

eve74sg wrote:My daughter is in P5 this yr. I am trying to shortlist some schools for her.

values should be taught at home... depending on the teachers may not be effective... of cos, peers do make a big part... but u cant guarantee she wun mix with such peers in sch... no one can control that...

i would say, being brand-conscious is not just in convent sch... will be unfair to make that statements.. there are also brand conscious kids in neighbourhood sch as well....

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby eve74sg » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi Crestar

The score is what I wish for. :p
I am trying to set a realistic target for her and hope she can achieve that.
:)

Hi Verykiasumummy

Yes I agree that it is important to teach her those values at home. At the same time, I also hope to find out which are the schs that emphasize the importance of such values. Come teenage yrs, the kids should be harder to control, so sch and peers play a v important role as well. So just wandering anyone here has feedback on that.

My daughter is currently in a Chinese neighbourhood sch and behaving like that. So I am concern when she goes to sec sch.

eve74sg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby verykiasumummy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:48 pm

eve74sg wrote:Hi Crestar

The score is what I wish for. :p
I am trying to set a realistic target for her and hope she can achieve that.
:)

Hi Verykiasumummy

Yes I agree that it is important to teach her those values at home. At the same time, I also hope to find out which are the schs that emphasize the importance of such values. Come teenage yrs, the kids should be harder to control, so sch and peers play a v important role as well. So just wandering anyone here has feedback on that.

My daughter is currently in a Chinese neighbourhood sch and behaving like that. So I am concern when she goes to sec sch.

i dun think we can ever find a sch without bad influence from some black sheep... ideally of cos, all parents will want that...

cedar girls is also 1 of the choices if u staying central... not too far i think..

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:00 pm

Values have to be taught at home...parents have show examples. I buy branded as in Esprit, Bossini for my kids...from IMM outlets. Sorry out of point.
Daughter is in a convent school. Before I registered her there, I asked my gf whose older gal is studying there. She said, 'educate and remind her...keep her feet on the ground'.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection