SPERS-Sec - IP schools?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

SPERS-Sec - IP schools?

Postby Kingfisher » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:41 am

DS took the SPERS-Sec test in October and we have received a list of schools that he is eligible to choose. The IP schools such as HCI, RI and NJC are on the eligible school list. We are only given 5 days (till 12 Nov) to submit his choice of 6 schools. We would like him to go to an IP school since given the opportunity but I am worried if he has the ability based on his SPERS test result because I heard that the SPERS test is easier than PSLE. Would like to know if there is anyone here whose child is in an IP school thru SPERS and how are they doing. The other thing that I am worried is if he get posted to an IP school, he will not be able to start school in January because the earliest we will be back in SG will be in June (intend to apply for LOA), will he missed out a lot and not be able to catch up or should I fly him back to start school which I think I will get resistance from him. Would appreciate any comments and advice. TIA.

Kingfisher
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: SPERS-Sec - IP schools?

Postby emoh » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:29 pm

Kingfisher wrote:DS took the SPERS-Sec test in October and we have received a list of schools that he is eligible to choose. The IP schools such as HCI, RI and NJC are on the eligible school list. We are only given 5 days (till 12 Nov) to submit his choice of 6 schools. We would like him to go to an IP school since given the opportunity but I am worried if he has the ability based on his SPERS test result because I heard that the SPERS test is easier than PSLE. Would like to know if there is anyone here whose child is in an IP school thru SPERS and how are they doing. The other thing that I am worried is if he get posted to an IP school, he will not be able to start school in January because the earliest we will be back in SG will be in June (intend to apply for LOA), will he missed out a lot and not be able to catch up or should I fly him back to start school which I think I will get resistance from him. Would appreciate any comments and advice. TIA.

Other possibility could be to choose a school which offers dual programme, meaning both IP and the O Levels so that if the student is not able to cope with IP, he can still stay in the same school and switch to the O Level programme.

Schools such as: Victoria, Catholic High, ACS(I) and St Joseph's Institution offers both programmes. Note that the first 2 would lead to A Levels while the last 2 would lead to the IB Diploma.

emoh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:20 pm

Kingfisher wrote:DS took the SPERS-Sec test in October and we have received a list of schools that he is eligible to choose. The IP schools such as HCI, RI and NJC are on the eligible school list. We are only given 5 days (till 12 Nov) to submit his choice of 6 schools. We would like him to go to an IP school since given the opportunity but I am worried if he has the ability based on his SPERS test result because I heard that the SPERS test is easier than PSLE. Would like to know if there is anyone here whose child is in an IP school thru SPERS and how are they doing. The other thing that I am worried is if he get posted to an IP school, he will not be able to start school in January because the earliest we will be back in SG will be in June (intend to apply for LOA), will he missed out a lot and not be able to catch up or should I fly him back to start school which I think I will get resistance from him. Would appreciate any comments and advice. TIA.

Can't help with comparison between SPERS and PSLE as we brought my daughter back to Singapore to take PSLE last year. Currently, she is on LOA for 1.5yrs and will only join her IP school in mid-Yr2 next year. The school hasn't confirmed whether she needs to take a placement test on return, but I am not too worried as I believe my daughter will cope OK. You will need to make your own assessment of your son's ability as to which school to choose.

As for the missing work and catching up, what I have done is to buy some of the books on the school's booklist, get the list of topics covered from the school, and am covering the topics with my daughter in preparation. She may not be completely level with what the school covers, but she should be about 70% at least. That way, she will have less to catch up. We are focusing on Maths and Science, with a general coverage of Literature, History and Geography. She is still attending an international school. We suggested sending her home in Jan to start the school year without us, but I knew she would refuse, and anyway, I think she will find it easier if we are there with her during the settling-in phase. Just our experience.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Kingfisher » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:44 pm

Other possibility could be to choose a school which offers dual programme, meaning both IP and the O Levels so that if the student is not able to cope with IP, he can still stay in the same school and switch to the O Level programme.

Schools such as: Victoria, Catholic High, ACS(I) and St Joseph's Institution offers both programmes. Note that the first 2 would lead to A Levels while the last 2 would lead to the IB Diploma.

This will be a good option but in the letter, it stated that if he opts for the schools which offers dual programme, he will be offered the O-level programme. :(

Kingfisher
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Fat Mama » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:15 pm

My friend's DD took the exams for returning citizens and she was offered the choice of top schools.

They chose one of the "toppest" girls school. For the first year Sec 3, she failed both maths and both sciences. This year Sec 4, she still failed both maths and science after tuition. Not sure if she will retain or promoted to JC 1.

Fat Mama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Kingfisher » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:31 pm

Dear slmkhoo, thank you very much for sharing your experience.
I will request for the booklist too and get some of the books if he goes into an IP school. If he is doing the 'o' levels, I am not so concern as his current school more or less follows the Singapore curriculum and he is half a year ahead of his peers. Do you or any mums know if there is any similarity (eg. subjects) at all between the IP curriculum and 'o' levels for the initial 2 years at least?

May I know which IP school is your daughter in if you don't mind. :)

Kingfisher
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Kingfisher » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Fat Mama wrote:My friend's DD took the exams for returning citizens and she was offered the choice of top schools.

They chose one of the "toppest" girls school. For the first year Sec 3, she failed both maths and both sciences. This year Sec 4, she still failed both maths and science after tuition. Not sure if she will retain or promoted to JC 1.

Hi Fat Mama, Really! Thanks for sharing! Your friend's DD joined the school in Sec 3?

Kingfisher
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:24 pm

Kingfisher wrote:Dear slmkhoo, thank you very much for sharing your experience.
I will request for the booklist too and get some of the books if he goes into an IP school. If he is doing the 'o' levels, I am not so concern as his current school more or less follows the Singapore curriculum and he is half a year ahead of his peers. Do you or any mums know if there is any similarity (eg. subjects) at all between the IP curriculum and 'o' levels for the initial 2 years at least?

RGS. I don't know what the 'normal' curriculum is in sec schools, and I don't really know how RGS handles the various subjects either. I am just going by what is on the curriculum outline (on the school website) and some of the test papers (also on the school website at my request). The textbooks are the standard textbooks though some 'O' level ones are also on the booklist. I think that every school has its own way to doing things and its own schedule for teaching the various topics. My thinking is that since there is no way I can replicate RGS for my daughter, I am just aiming to help her gain an understanding of the topics, and she will have to do the rest when she gets back. Since it's an IP school, she has 4.5 yrs before the 'A' levels, so she should have ample time. She is currently studying a US curriculum, so she will have more 'conversion' to do than your son. She coped pretty well last year preparing for the PSLE while studying a US curriculum, so I am hoping she will manage OK in sec school too.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby emoh » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:31 pm

Kingfisher wrote:

This will be a good option but in the letter, it stated that if he opts for the schools which offers dual programme, he will be offered the O-level programme. :(

Maybe you can still get your child to consider a dual programme school and if your child can do well, there is a possibility to convert to the IP track at Sec 3 in the same school?

emoh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Kingfisher » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:48 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Kingfisher wrote:Dear slmkhoo, thank you very much for sharing your experience.

RGS. I don't know what the 'normal' curriculum is in sec schools, and I don't really know how RGS handles the various subjects either. I am just going by what is on the curriculum outline (on the school website) and some of the test papers (also on the school website at my request). The textbooks are the standard textbooks though some 'O' level ones are also on the booklist. I think that every school has its own way to doing things and its own schedule for teaching the various topics. My thinking is that since there is no way I can replicate RGS for my daughter, I am just aiming to help her gain an understanding of the topics, and she will have to do the rest when she gets back. Since it's an IP school, she has 4.5 yrs before the 'A' levels, so she should have ample time. She is currently studying a US curriculum, so she will have more 'conversion' to do than your son. She coped pretty well last year preparing for the PSLE while studying a US curriculum, so I am hoping she will manage OK in sec school too.

Thanks again! Your daughter is very bright to be able do very well in the PSLE while studying a different curriculum. I think she should have no problem coping in sec school. All the best!

Kingfisher
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection