sequencing the 6 choices

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

sequencing the 6 choices

Postby rosicky » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:09 pm

May i know if the sequence of choices in the s1form matters if 2 students meet the cop for the same school? If both score 235, and the cop for the school is 235, student a put as 1st choice, student b as 3rd, does student a has an advantage?

If this is a sap school, if one is 235 and the other is 234+1, does it matter?

rosicky
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: sequencing the 6 choices

Postby jtoh » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:35 pm

rosicky wrote:May i know if the sequence of choices in the s1form matters if 2 students meet the cop for the same school? If both score 235, and the cop for the school is 235, student a put as 1st choice, student b as 3rd, does student a has an advantage?

If this is a sap school, if one is 235 and the other is 234+1, does it matter?

First of all, there are many decimal points after the 235 score. So it is unlikely that two students will have exactly the same score. Hence one will be ranked higher than the other and his choices take precedence over the 2nd student.

If in the event that both students have exactly the same score and both opt for the same school, the one with the first choice gets the place over the 3rd choice.

Based on previous years discussion, 235 has advantage over 234+1.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby rosicky » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:43 am

I understand that each student is ranked, and with decimals, thus it is almost very unlikely that2 students having same t-score.

But I still have 1 more question. DS has 1 bonus point for HMT, thus his t-score is 236+1. I am putting Chung Cheng Main as first choice. In terms of ranking, will he be ranked at 237, or 236?

rosicky
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby lost boy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:02 am

My son got 255 and he wants to go to ip schools

Please leave your opinions on my sequence of my choices of schools

1st. Catholic High IP
2nd. River Valley COP 254
3rd. Catholic High O-Level
4th. Bukit Panjang O-Level
5th. Maris Stella O-Level
6th. Chung Cheng Yishun

Should we add in another ip school?

P.S-We are staying in Sembawang
Last edited by lost boy on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

lost boy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:06 am

rosicky wrote:I understand that each student is ranked, and with decimals, thus it is almost very unlikely that2 students having same t-score.

But I still have 1 more question. DS has 1 bonus point for HMT, thus his t-score is 236+1. I am putting Chung Cheng Main as first choice. In terms of ranking, will he be ranked at 237, or 236?

237 for Chung Cheng Main.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mellory » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:11 am

According to the grey book, if two scores are exactly the same, priority will be given to singapore citizen, then to the PR, then to international student. If there are more than 2 citizens, then the posting into the school will be determined by a computerised ballot.....
(Choosing your secondary schools 2013, p.8 Section III, 7.2)

mellory
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:31 am

mellory wrote:According to the grey book, if two scores are exactly the same, priority will be given to singapore citizen, then to the PR, then to international student. If there are more than 2 citizens, then the posting into the school will be determined by a computerised ballot.....

Makes sense, especially if both students of exactly the same score down to the last decimal point and are both Singapore citizens choose exactly the same schools as their first choice. But I would imagine that the chances of this are uncommon.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Rational_Parent » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:05 pm

jtoh wrote:
mellory wrote:According to the grey book, if two scores are exactly the same, priority will be given to singapore citizen, then to the PR, then to international student. If there are more than 2 citizens, then the posting into the school will be determined by a computerised ballot.....

Makes sense, especially if both students of exactly the same score down to the last decimal point and are both Singapore citizens choose exactly the same schools as their first choice. But I would imagine that the chances of this are uncommon.

More improbable that there will only be one place left in the school for just two Singapore citizens with identical score to contest for.

Rational_Parent
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:07 pm

MeKiasuLeh wrote:
jtoh wrote:

More improbable that there will only be one place left in the school for just two Singapore citizens with identical score to contest for.

Yes, exactly.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection