BPGH, SJI, NHHS

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

BPGH, SJI, NHHS

Postby julongmum » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:48 pm

Hi parents,

We have shortlisted a few schools, among are BPHS NHHS and SJI. I suppose they r quite similar in terms of academic driven. SJI is well known of its focus on students charecter n leadership development. NHHS is SAP sch with strong Chinese culture n values where students are well disciplined. BPHS was a pleasant surprize to us when we visited the sch this morning - the students presented very well in the intro session as well as the guided tour by their councillors.

In the dilema as to placement n sequence of choices now! Leave aside the fact thatSJI is further fr home, can parents give yr thought on these schools. Thanks inadvance

julongmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: BPGH, SJI, NHHS

Postby jedamum » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:59 pm

Hi
I stay in west too and the above few schools are also in my list of consideration for my boy when the time comes. If he qualifies la.
My only input I can share will be, what are your son's views about the school. Is he resentful to going SAP school? Does he prefer a boys school? Personally, I feel that sji is the one with distance disadvantage. But it is also a unique one offering all boys education and stronger school identity from what I read here.

Husband's take is if getting a certificate is the goal, opt for nearest. Nanhua is good if kids chinese is good. But if it is the school experiences we want for the kid,we should look out for those who can provide more than usual academic focus. This, have to go experience during school walk round and gather feedback.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby bupashu » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:02 am

Bukit Panjang Gov't High has always been a very good school, since decades ago, just like SJI
bupashu
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Dreamgear » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:05 am

Do note that sji will be in bishan from 2014 to 15. And sji have bonus points to cjc.

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:10 am

Can share,how does bonus points work?
Cjc far from west too leh.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby bupashu » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:13 am

jedamum wrote:Can share,how does bonus points work?
Cjc far from west too leh.

if the sec school is affiliated to the JC, you got two points discount when applying to the JC using O level's L1R5 total points

eg, your L1R5 is 12, and with affiliation discount, your net score is 10 points, and if your have CCA 1 point, then you get to deduct one more point, using 9 points to enter the JC...if eg the JC's COP is 10, you are sure to get in even though officially your L1R5 is 12. without this affiliation, u would not have been able to enter
bupashu
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jedamum » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:17 am

Thanks,bupashu!

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby emoh » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:14 am

u can also consider there is a possibility that your child can continue JC 1 and JC 2 in SJI without the need for new adjustments again either via IP track or O levels

emoh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby julongmum » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:36 am

jedamum wrote:Hi
I stay in west too and the above few schools are also in my list of consideration for my boy when the time comes. If he qualifies la.
My only input I can share will be, what are your son's views about the school. Is he resentful to going SAP school? Does he prefer a boys school? Personally, I feel that sji is the one with distance disadvantage. But it is also a unique one offering all boys education and stronger school identity from what I read here.

Husband's take is if getting a certificate is the goal, opt for nearest. Nanhua is good if kids chinese is good. But if it is the school experiences we want for the kid,we should look out for those who can provide more than usual academic focus. This, have to go experience during school walk round and gather feedback.

Thank you for yr thoughts jedamum

My DS had visited NHHS and BPHS but not SJI as he was in a holiday camp. He enjoyed the camp organized by NHHS, amazed of the biometric attendance taking device in BPHS, he has no strong preference to any of these and basically he will go with our decision.

Yes i agree with you that SJI has travelling disadvantage. Its good as my DS mother tongue is not strong, he might have to struggle if he is in NHHS. However NHHS has a hugh intake (12 classes) all in express course so there is more competitive in academic, opportunity to certain programs as sch usually selects the better performed students. Aside fr this consideration, NNHS is quite safe as in student discipline n values. BPHS has only 5 classes of express course, i suppose it is easier for the above average student to get more attention n higher chances of getting into class of subject combi of their choice in sec 3.

Choosing sec sch is very critical as it determines where our dearest will be in the next four yrs n he can learn n make the most from it n lead him to somewhere he desires after sec education. More importantly he has to be happy going there and bringing full loads of merry memorables at the end of the 4 yrs.

julongmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby julongmum » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:55 am

bupashu wrote:Bukit Panjang Gov't High has always been a very good school, since decades ago, just like SJI

Thanks bupashu

Before our visit to the sch yesterday, we only know some of its basic sch info fr the grey bk. The students we met were all councillors and they did impressed us a lot. As we hardly meet its students outside the sch (Not stay in CCK) we arent sure most of the rest of the students behave. Mine child is a boy so i kind of look at sch with better behavioural children to avoid chances of bad influence.

I agree sch is good, it grooms the councillors so well n let them run the event of receiving parents with very little teacher involvement!

julongmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection