Need advise for low t-score

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Need advise for low t-score

Postby worried_mummy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:10 am

Hi, ds result not so good, only 189, can choose express/normal (A). Now having headache on :

a) to choose Express or Normal (A) ?
b) Any 'good' school in Woodlands or Yishun area for express ?

Your advice is much appreciated.

many tks.

worried_mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Need advise for low t-score

Postby thebigapple » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:22 pm

worried_mummy wrote:Hi, ds result not so good, only 189, can choose express/normal (A). Now having headache on :

a) to choose Express or Normal (A) ?
b) Any 'good' school in Woodlands or Yishun area for express ?

Your advice is much appreciated.

many tks.

Hey

I guess the best way to choose is to see how your ds works. If you're sure that he'll be able to handle the Os in 4 years, by all means, go for express. However, by going for express, it means that your choices for schools are pretty limited. Or, alternatively, if your ds works hard in Secondary 1, it is possible to promote to express. Tough, but not impossible. However, if you think that doing an extra year in Secondary School would be better (eg, more time to study, less stress etc.), go for NA.

Good luck :)

thebigapple
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mummy so kiasu » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:34 pm

It is better to go to a good school that offers N(A). Going to a better school that provide your child an environment to excel. He will be able to transfer to express if he does well. Rather than put him into the express & he could not cope with the syllabus.

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby worried_mummy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:13 am

Tks.. thebigapple and mummy so kiasu for the advice. I thought of letting him go NA too but all his sch teacher encourage him go express. With his score, is it advisable to choose a sch with 200 COP as 1st choice ? Tks.

worried_mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby koguma » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:29 am

worried_mummy wrote:Tks.. thebigapple and mummy so kiasu for the advice. I thought of letting him go NA too but all his sch teacher encourage him go express. With his score, is it advisable to choose a sch with 200 COP as 1st choice ? Tks.

I don't think a school with 200 COP this year will drop to 188 next year. However no harm trying if you willing to take a risk.

Btw, which area you stay? Perhaps people in this forum can recommend some schools for you.

Lastly, do you know that some students in NA can skip N level and proceed to Sec 5 to do their O level? Also, if the student pass his NA level with good results, he/she can
a) promote to Sec 5 for O level
b) goes to ITE for 2 years higher nitec
c) goes to poly to do 1 year foundation before continue to complete the 3 years poly course.

Hence doing NA is actually not a bad idea afterall.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby lovejoypeacce » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:52 am

In my opinion, if can go express, better to choose express. Who knows, he might be motivated enough to work harder next year.

lovejoypeacce
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby worried_mummy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:53 am

Tks koguma. I also think the sch COP will not drop so drastically ! Oh serious, can skip N and go O ? ds wants to go express so we have to choose sch in woodlands/sembawang/yishun area. Tks.

worried_mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby worried_mummy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:57 am

lovejoypeacce wrote:In my opinion, if can go express, better to choose express. Who knows, he might be motivated enough to work harder next year.

Tks lovejoypeace. Ya we hope this is a wake up call for him as he also aware we really has hard time choosing the sch for him .

worried_mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby atutor2001 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:00 am

worried_mummy wrote:Tks koguma. I also think the sch COP will not drop so drastically ! Oh serious, can skip N and go O ? ds wants to go express so we have to choose sch in woodlands/sembawang/yishun area. Tks.
I have a case where kid did well and jump from N(A) to Express at Sec 3. But I understand that the switch can also happen at Sec 2 if results very good. I remembered the school principal has the authority to decide, with recommendation from teacher.

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby koguma » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:43 am

I know a kid who in Sec 1 NT, Sec 2 NA and Sec 3 Express this year.

Worried_mummy, you can refer to this page from Chung Cheng High (Yishun) on the criteria to promote from NA to Express.

http://www.chungchenghighyishun.moe.edu ... id=1046206

The criteria is "Sec 1 and 2 NA students who have achieved an average of 70% or higher may be laterally transferred to the Express stream."
I believe it is common to all Sec Schools. Hence moving from NA to Express can happen from Sec 1 onwards.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection