chij toa payoh vs St Margaret vs Nan Hua

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

chij toa payoh vs St Margaret vs Nan Hua

Postby enoawng » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:26 pm

Hi secondary schools parents, students

Any insights and advice which secondary school would be your preferences for COP in that region. Which order would you go for.

1. CHIJ Toa Payoh
2. St Margaret
3. Nan Hua

How important is the distance factor?

Cheers

enoawng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:48 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: chij toa payoh vs St Margaret vs Nan Hua

Postby Haneyi » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:00 pm

Hello, I'm a student. ^^

Order to me ( excluding the distance factor ) :

1) Nan Hua
2) CHIJ Toa Payoh
3) St. Margaret

I feel all 3 are quite good schools, but they each offer different CCAs and programmes, hence it still depends on the child's preference like - Mixed school / girls school. Also, note that Nan Hua is more ' chinese ' and will probably emphasize more on Chinese than the other 2 schools? o-o

I think the distance factor is quite important, especially if you plan to use public transportation. Anything less than 1 hour to get to the school is still okay to me, but it can get rather tiring if you need to transfer between buses / MRT lines and still have to walk a distance to reach the school. I took 1 and a half hour to get to a school and the ride felt so tiring ( & boring :sweat: ) that I couldn't keep my eyes open.

Hope this helps. (:
Thank you.

Haneyi
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:10 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: chij toa payoh vs St Margaret vs Nan Hua

Postby enoawng » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:45 pm

Haneyi wrote:Hello, I'm a student. ^^

Order to me ( excluding the distance factor ) :

1) Nan Hua
2) CHIJ Toa Payoh
3) St. Margaret

I feel all 3 are quite good schools, but they each offer different CCAs and programmes, hence it still depends on the child's preference like - Mixed school / girls school. Also, note that Nan Hua is more ' chinese ' and will probably emphasize more on Chinese than the other 2 schools? o-o

I think the distance factor is quite important, especially if you plan to use public transportation. Anything less than 1 hour to get to the school is still okay to me, but it can get rather tiring if you need to transfer between buses / MRT lines and still have to walk a distance to reach the school. I took 1 and a half hour to get to a school and the ride felt so tiring ( & boring :sweat: ) that I couldn't keep my eyes open.

Hope this helps. (:
Thank you.


thanks haneyi

enoawng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:48 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: chij toa payoh vs St Margaret vs Nan Hua

Postby Crester » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:56 pm

enoawng wrote:Hi secondary schools parents, students

Any insights and advice which secondary school would be your preferences for COP in that region. Which order would you go for.

1. CHIJ Toa Payoh
2. St Margaret
3. Nan Hua

How important is the distance factor?

Cheers


Other than Nan Hua(COP 243 ), believe u can choose other Girls' Sch right.
Hv u considered TKGS?
TKGS COP is lower than IJ Payoh n St Mar as both these Schs hv affiliate students.
TKGS is in Band 1 wherelse IJ n St Mar both in Band 4.
From here, can see TKGS is performing better in O Level even with lower COP.
Just my opinion. No offense.

Crester
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:37 am
Total Likes: 2


Re: chij toa payoh vs St Margaret vs Nan Hua

Postby Haneyi » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:10 pm

enoawng wrote:
Haneyi wrote:Hello, I'm a student. ^^

Order to me ( excluding the distance factor ) :

1) Nan Hua
2) CHIJ Toa Payoh
3) St. Margaret

I feel all 3 are quite good schools, but they each offer different CCAs and programmes, hence it still depends on the child's preference like - Mixed school / girls school. Also, note that Nan Hua is more ' chinese ' and will probably emphasize more on Chinese than the other 2 schools? o-o

I think the distance factor is quite important, especially if you plan to use public transportation. Anything less than 1 hour to get to the school is still okay to me, but it can get rather tiring if you need to transfer between buses / MRT lines and still have to walk a distance to reach the school. I took 1 and a half hour to get to a school and the ride felt so tiring ( & boring :sweat: ) that I couldn't keep my eyes open.

Hope this helps. (:
Thank you.


thanks haneyi


You're welcome. ^^

Like what Crester said, there are other good schools you may want consider - like TKGS. Other than that, you may also want to look at Crescent Girls' ( Band 1 school too! ) . :) If the child prefers going to a girls school, I'll recommend Crescent over CHIJ TP and St. Margaret's. ( Unless distance is too far of course. :sweat: )

All the best! :xedfingers:
Thank you.

Haneyi
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:10 pm
Total Likes: 2



Re: chij toa payoh vs St Margaret vs Nan Hua

Postby enoawng » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:11 pm

Crester wrote:
enoawng wrote:Hi secondary schools parents, students

Any insights and advice which secondary school would be your preferences for COP in that region. Which order would you go for.

1. CHIJ Toa Payoh
2. St Margaret
3. Nan Hua

How important is the distance factor?

Cheers


Other than Nan Hua(COP 243 ), believe u can choose other Girls' Sch right.
Hv u considered TKGS?
TKGS COP is lower than IJ Payoh n St Mar as both these Schs hv affiliate students.
TKGS is in Band 1 wherelse IJ n St Mar both in Band 4.
From here, can see TKGS is performing better in O Level even with lower COP.
Just my opinion. No offense.


Ok. Can you enlighten me where did you get the information that TKGS is in Band 1 and CHIJ TP and St Marg are both Band 4? Thanks.

enoawng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:48 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: chij toa payoh vs St Margaret vs Nan Hua

Postby Crester » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:24 pm

enoawng wrote:
Crester wrote:
enoawng wrote:Hi secondary schools parents, students

Any insights and advice which secondary school would be your preferences for COP in that region. Which order would you go for.

1. CHIJ Toa Payoh
2. St Margaret
3. Nan Hua

How important is the distance factor?

Cheers


Other than Nan Hua(COP 243 ), believe u can choose other Girls' Sch right.
Hv u considered TKGS?
TKGS COP is lower than IJ Payoh n St Mar as both these Schs hv affiliate students.
TKGS is in Band 1 wherelse IJ n St Mar both in Band 4.
From here, can see TKGS is performing better in O Level even with lower COP.
Just my opinion. No offense.


Ok. Can you enlighten me where did you get the information that TKGS is in Band 1 and CHIJ TP and St Marg are both Band 4? Thanks.


If u go into IJ TP web site, it shows yr 2011 O Level results.
It has slipped fr Band 2 to Band 4 this year.
For St Mar, it doesn't show on web site. But fr it's Feb Newsletter in web site, 2011 cohort did compareably same as 2010 cohort. So remain Band 4. I also heard fr inside sources.
TKGS- check out its web site under 'Letters To Parents' in Term 1.
-went Open House early this yr n was infd by P.

Crescent Girls' also can consider.

Crester
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:37 am
Total Likes: 2


Re: chij toa payoh vs St Margaret vs Nan Hua

Postby bupashu » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:24 pm

comparing the 3 schools, besides the entry COP and the banding (which is any way skewed by affiliation), attention should be given to the overall school culture and study environment

IJ is Roman Cat, St Marg is Anglican, both has good spiritual underpinning to bring up the girls with appropriate moral values, which are important for some people ---- NOT saying NH has none in this aspect

and the banding is very much impacted by the affiliated students they have to take in, and yet they show a good output and value add, esp St Marg in recent years

for NH, it is SAP and lack in mutil racial environment
bupashu
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:08 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: chij toa payoh vs St Margaret vs Nan Hua

Postby enoawng » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:34 pm

[quote="Crester]

If u go into IJ TP web site, it shows yr 2011 O Level results.
It has slipped fr Band 2 to Band 4 this year.
For St Mar, it doesn't show on web site. But fr it's Feb Newsletter in web site, 2011 cohort did compareably same as 2010 cohort. So remain Band 4. I also heard fr inside sources.
TKGS- check out its web site under 'Letters To Parents' in Term 1.
-went Open House early this yr n was infd by P.

Crescent Girls' also can consider.[/quote]
Thanks;-)

enoawng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:48 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: chij toa payoh vs St Margaret vs Nan Hua

Postby enoawng » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:42 pm

bupashu wrote:comparing the 3 schools, besides the entry COP and the banding (which is any way skewed by affiliation), attention should be given to the overall school culture and study environment

IJ is Roman Cat, St Marg is Anglican, both has good spiritual underpinning to bring up the girls with appropriate moral values, which are important for some people ---- NOT saying NH has none in this aspect

and the banding is very much impacted by the affiliated students they have to take in, and yet they show a good output and value add, esp St Marg in recent years

for NH, it is SAP and lack in mutil racial environment

Yes you are absolutely right that banding will be impacted by affiliated students since the COP for these are rather low.

Oh yes, religious and spiritual values are also points to ponder. But just wondering what does NH "chinese value" mean?

enoawng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:48 pm
Total Likes: 0



Return to Secondary Schools - Selection