Cedar Girls Sec Or St Nicks

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Cedar Girls Sec Or St Nicks

Postby Pascal the cham » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Please help! I don't know whether to choose st nicks or cedars since both are good schools and I have an aggregate of 251+2. :thankyou:

Pascal the cham
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Cedar Girls Sec Or St Nicks

Postby Crester » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:34 pm

Pascal the cham wrote:Please help! I don't know whether to choose st nicks or cedars since both are good schools and I have an aggregate of 251+2. :thankyou:

I would choose St Nicks.
With 253 score, shd not hv prob in getting in. If u put it as 2nd choice, sch will not consider u if u decide to appeal.
Just sharing.

Crester
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Pascal the cham » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:08 pm

Thank you Crester! :smile: But are you referring to ip or o level? Thank you once again! :smile:

Pascal the cham
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Crester » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Pascal the cham wrote:Thank you Crester! :smile: But are you referring to ip or o level? Thank you once again! :smile:

Welcome.
U can put:
1st choice- St Nicks IP
2nd choice-St Nicks 'O'
Select'n is by Merits.
'O' level, u can get in.

Crester
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby thebigapple » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:24 pm

Pascal the cham wrote:Please help! I don't know whether to choose st nicks or cedars since both are good schools and I have an aggregate of 251+2. :thankyou:

my opinion is a bit biased as i was from cedar. (for two years) but anyways, i entered cedar with 252, and was actually the bottom of my class. (cedar has 4 math olympiad classes, i was in one of those classes) i didn't enjoy my time there. i too, contemplated on whether to go cedar or st nicks (or dunman, which i did not make it). but i realised that in st nicks, you tend to find a lot of the primary school students there, due to affiliation and all. which causes pre-existent 'cliques'. this was proven by my friend, who was pretty lonely at first. it would be harder to fit in, i guess. whereas, in cedar, you have none of that, because cedar primary is not affiliated. but then again, st nicks produce good o level results. i'm not saying cedar doesn't. cedar does. but, i didn't like the school after all, which was why i transferred after two years. there are many friends of mine who love cedar a lot. i hope you make the right choice :)

no matter what school you go to, just enter the school with an open mind :)

thebigapple
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Pascal the cham » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:16 pm

Hi thebigapple,
Thanks for the advice. But why you don't enjoy yourself in cedar? Is it because the curriculum is too stressful?

Pascal the cham
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby iridescence » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:09 pm

hello! I am from cedar so I might be able to help you a little :) but firstly maybe you should consider a couple of questions before choosing your school?

1. distance- which school is nearer to your house? in case you need to take public transport, you might want to find out which school is more convenient in terms of transportation. tbh, cedar is actually (not literally) in the middle of nowhere. it's very "inside" so if you are not fetched via car/schoolbus you will have to walk ina very long way, which is what most cedarians do every morning and after school. it gets worse when it's raining because you'll be stranded so you must always remember to bring an umbrella. of course, after a while you'll get used to it and it's better when you have friends to walk in and out with. :)

2. environment- which school's environment do you prefer? both schools' openhouses were held recently and did you go to them to check out the school? the school's environment is very important because if you don't even get a feel of what the school's environment is like before choosing the school, you might even end up hating the school and wanting to transfer out.

ok! now that you have these questions to think about. let me tell you very basically what the life of a cedarian is like.

in cedar, the official dismissal time is 3.15pm. however we are only dismissed at that time on tuesdays and fridays, and wednesdays if there is assembly. morning assembly starts at 7.30 every morning, lessons start at 7.35 (they usually never start on time). Most lessons are 50 minutes long, though some are 40 minutes. there are a few other subjects which I doubt other schools have: SEL (social emotional learning), R&P (reading and presentation), and IPW (integrated project work). don't worry though, there are no exams or tests for these subjects. recess and lunch are 40 minutes long and there is usually more than enough time to eat. during these 2 breaks you are allowed to stay in class, so if you have any unfinished work, you can take this opportunity to finish them up. if you come to cedar you'll have to get a laptop for lessons. homework in sec 1 is not a lot, there is usually ample time to finish them up. in sec 1 you'll take english, mother tongue, general science, maths, english literature, history, geography, and craft & technology (consisting of home econs, design&technology and art. 1 each term.) also you'll take music and of course, PE. because track&field is cedar's niche area there is a jogging period that takes the place of PE every friday, and usually most of us dread it. CCA is regarded as very important in cedar so choose your cca wisely (if you come that is. haha) ok i think that's about it. haha choose wisely and don't regret your decision! good luck :)

iridescence
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Pascal the cham » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Thank you iridescence for the info. Are the teachers there very helpful and will the third language classes be held in school or we have to travel out to take the lessons ( as I am considering to take Malay as my third language )? Thank you once again! :smile:

Pascal the cham
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby thebigapple » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:41 pm

Pascal the cham wrote:Hi thebigapple,
Thanks for the advice. But why you don't enjoy yourself in cedar? Is it because the curriculum is too stressful?

actually, no. the curriculum is actually pretty okay for me. except for the school hours. but it's not because it's not manageable or anything of that sort. it's more because of the thought of staying in school for such long hours. especially if you're taking msp/csp, then you'll have to stay in school till 315 everyday. (except for weds, if there's assembly, which there is, most of the time) but the main reason i don't like cedar is because of the restrictive environment. i mean, they do stretch you, academically and mentally (and physically). but, it's just not very enjoyable. the teachers there are pretty...unlikable. well, in my case. it feels like that for me. and in cedar, there are plentyyyyy of young teachers, which can be a bad thing, or a good thing. it depends on how you look at it. but back to the topic of curriculum. i do have quite a few friends who are struggling. but if you are able to handle stress well enough, you'll be fine.

thebigapple
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection