CCA for secondary one

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

CCA for secondary one

Postby Musicstar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:37 am

Hi,

I would like to check with everyone here. Is all school the same that they consider their club & societies like art club, infocomm and etc which can less 2 points for "o" level result when enter JC.

I want my DD to select the CCA that can commit it for the 4 years in order to get the points.

Musicstar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: CCA for secondary one

Postby AceTutors123 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:52 am

Musicstar wrote:Hi,

I would like to check with everyone here. Is all school the same that they consider their club & societies like art club, infocomm and etc which can less 2 points for "o" level result when enter JC.

I want my DD to select the CCA that can commit it for the 4 years in order to get the points.

Hi Musicstar, it's great that you're planning far ahead =) All official CCAs are equal in the eyes of the school. The 2 point deduction for JC admission will be granted for grades of A1 or A2 attained in the CCA. Different schools and different teachers-in-charge have different standards for determining the A1 and A2 standards, but staying with the CCA for the full 4 years and being actively involved will be safest bet.

AceTutors123
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Skyed » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:20 pm

Well I can tell you that if your kid joins clubs and societies its quite difficult to get the minimum of 20 leaps points to -2 unless your kid also is a prefect/holds leadership position in cca/always wins comps. Easiest to -2 is band, UG ccas, and sports because they always rep school so a lot of points. I was in basketball in sec 1 and got 7 points alone from that year despite not actually taking part in any comps. Whereas I switch to infocomm photography in sec 2 onwards and got very few points (end up manage to scrape 22 points by maxing out points from cip and doing nyaa) since I didn't win any comps nor hold leadership position.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Musicstar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:44 pm

In secondary school CCA for sports is it the same as primary school must be very good and the trainer select the students. It is not the interest that you want to join the particular CCA.
Is CIP points also add together with CCA.
Why do you quit basketball after 1 year? My dd likes to join basketball but do not know whether qualify.How the teacher determine the points for CCA, is it based on attendance . What is the points you get for infocomm per year?

Skyed wrote:Well I can tell you that if your kid joins clubs and societies its quite difficult to get the minimum of 20 leaps points to -2 unless your kid also is a prefect/holds leadership position in cca/always wins comps. Easiest to -2 is band, UG ccas, and sports because they always rep school so a lot of points. I was in basketball in sec 1 and got 7 points alone from that year despite not actually taking part in any comps. Whereas I switch to infocomm photography in sec 2 onwards and got very few points (end up manage to scrape 22 points by maxing out points from cip and doing nyaa) since I didn't win any comps nor hold leadership position.

Musicstar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Skyed » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:54 pm

In secondary school CCA for sports is it the same as primary school must be very good and the trainer select the students. It is not the interest that you want to join the particular CCA.
Why do you quit basketball after 1 year? My dd likes to join basketball but do not know whether qualify.How the teacher determine the points for CCA, is it based on attendance . What is the points you get for infocomm per year?

Yup in sec school you need to be good to be picked. However some CCAs in sec school such as squash/tennis that most primary schools don't offer means that everyone starts out on equal footing so it's usually easier to get into those types of CCAs. And yes CIP points is add together with CCA under the LEAPS grading system. Under LEAPS 25 points and above is A1, 20 points and above is A2. Whether you get A1 or A2 you still get to -2. However if you get between C6 to B3 for CCA you only -1. I quit basketball after one year because I couldn't handle how often the training was (tuesday, thursday, saturday) because I had tuition both during weekends and after school.

Attendance wise, you just 1 LEAPS point per year for being in any CCA, and if in any particular year your attendance for the CCA drops below 50%, your points for that year will be annulled. If any particular year drop below 75% your points from that year and all previous years will be annulled.

I had 22 LEAPS points overall, 7 from basketball, 2 from NYAA, and 5 from CIP. So if you do the math, from infocomm I got 8 points for 3 years. And since I get 1 basic point for just being in a CCA, that's technically 5 points from the 3 years I've been in infocomm that was from taking part in competitions. Which is really very pathetic because people in UG, sports etc their LEAPS points are all >30, some even >35.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby rains » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:52 pm

Is cca point deduction important for IP students? Do they need those 2 points to get into the jc at year 5?

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:55 pm

Is it that easy to get A1 or A2in cca? Or must win competition or in leadership role? I remember although spending three times a week on band, I only got a B grade as I was not in leadership position.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Musicstar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:57 pm

Skyed, thank you. I know better about it.

quote="Skyed"]

Yup in sec school you need to be good to be picked. However some CCAs in sec school such as squash/tennis that most primary schools don't offer means that everyone starts out on equal footing so it's usually easier to get into those types of CCAs. And yes CIP points is add together with CCA under the LEAPS grading system. Under LEAPS 25 points and above is A1, 20 points and above is A2. Whether you get A1 or A2 you still get to -2. However if you get between C6 to B3 for CCA you only -1. I quit basketball after one year because I couldn't handle how often the training was (tuesday, thursday, saturday) because I had tuition both during weekends and after school.

Attendance wise, you just 1 LEAPS point per year for being in any CCA, and if in any particular year your attendance for the CCA drops below 50%, your points for that year will be annulled. If any particular year drop below 75% your points from that year and all previous years will be annulled.

I had 22 LEAPS points overall, 7 from basketball, 2 from NYAA, and 5 from CIP. So if you do the math, from infocomm I got 8 points for 3 years. And since I get 1 basic point for just being in a CCA, that's technically 5 points from the 3 years I've been in infocomm that was from taking part in competitions. Which is really very pathetic because people in UG, sports etc their LEAPS points are all >30, some even >35.[/quote]

Musicstar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Skyed » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:05 pm

rains wrote:Is cca point deduction important for IP students? Do they need those 2 points to get into the jc at year 5?

I'm not sure sorry.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Skyed » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:05 pm

jedamum wrote:Is it that easy to get A1 or A2in cca? Or must win competition or in leadership role? I remember although spending three times a week on band, I only got a B grade as I was not in leadership position.

Did your school's band take part in SYF competitions? Everyone in our school who is in band all got either an A1 or an A2.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection