Transferring Secondary School at Sec 2

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Transferring Secondary School at Sec 2

Postby SuperJunior » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:37 pm

I want my daughter to transfer secondary school at Sec 2, it is alright? Will it be troublesome? :?:

SuperJunior
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Transferring Secondary School at Sec 2

Postby Pen88n » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:52 pm

SuperJunior wrote:I want my daughter to transfer secondary school at Sec 2, it is alright? Will it be troublesome? :?:

"Troublesome" is not the word, more like "slim chance". Schools will only evaluate transfer case when they have vacancies (which is usually very few) during the year. And if there are many transfer applications (which in this cases may be the carry-though from appeal cases after PSLE posting), then again they will have a queue.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SunnyFlower12 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:45 pm

SuperJunior wrote:I want my daughter to transfer secondary school at Sec 2, it is alright? Will it be troublesome? :?:

Some higher end schools (eg. NYGH, SJI, Victoria) etc offer an Entrance Exam for entrance into Sec 2. Other schools just require you to send an application, but then again, the chance is very low.

SunnyFlower12
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mummy so kiasu » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:10 pm

Unless you child's results are very good, you can try to transfer her to a IP school, using her Sec 2 results. Those who did badly in IP will be transfer to express at the end of Sec 2. If the school does not offer express stream, then the child will be transfer out to another school.

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Minstral » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:10 pm

Depends on your motivation to transfer really. If it's really important to you and your daughter, I'm sure you won't find it troublesome.

If your child has very good results in Sec 1 or CCA achievements, I don't think it will be much of an issue with the school. It depends on what school you're talking about as well. Of course, the more renowned the school, the slimmer the chance.

Minstral
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:21 pm

Something that hasn't been mentioned here is that a child who has spent a year in a school will probably have made friends and settled in somewhat. Transferring her will mean that she has to adjust to a new school and make new friends. While that is not a veto factor, I would hesitate to make that move unless there are strong reasons for the transfer. On the other hand, if the child is intending to transfer, and doesn't make the attempt to settle in and make friends because she expects to leave but the transfer is not successful in the end, that could mean a great disappointment as well as the loss of a whole year of friendship and involvement.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Postby vii_123 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi, I have the same question here. Say if we know the school we want to transfer to has a space (due to people wanting transfer out) and the student's result is very good. (psle and sec1) what are the chances? only trouble now is 1. new school only has the current cca which the student is passionate abt in year5,6. 2.school is kind of far 3.new school requires students to be physically fit but the student is not. (although it can be trained, but its tough) .apart from that most other factors abt xferring has been considered. if anyone can give advice its much appreciated.

vii_123
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby FanFanX » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:20 am

Can anyone provide more information on the entrance exams needed for transfer to Victoria School?
I called up the school. The lady told me that I can request for a transfer now but there is no entrance exams. It will depend on whether there is any vacancy at the end of the year.

FanFanX
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection