What goes into choosing a suitable Secondary School

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

What do you look out for in a Secondary School

1. School culture, e.g. ACS(I) sports-based, etc
43%
2. Distance from home
No votes
3. Academic achievements, many secondary schools nowadays have banners and posters up showing the various achievements that they have.
57%
4. Any others?
No votes

Total votes : 14

What goes into choosing a suitable Secondary School

Postby Huang » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:43 pm

Hi there,

Recently a relative asked me how I choosed my kid's Secondary School and I kind of got a shock, I had no answer. It was simply just based on the results.

My relative came then with a list of important factors that he thought would be helpful to help his kid cope with the stresses of school. I thought that I would help him make this post to help him make a better decision (the kid will be going into the Secondary School in next year).

So here goes, considering grades what else should he look out for?

1. School culture, e.g. ACS(I) sports-based, etc

2. Distance from home

3. Academic achievements, many secondary schools nowadays have banners and posters up showing the various achievements that they have.

4. Any others?

I gave personally told him to look out for culture and results, but are there more? I have browsed through most of the threads but have not come to a solid conclusion. So help, please?

Thank you

Huang
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby chengsmummy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:02 pm

If the kid's PSLE score is high enough for IP schools, the distance of the school will not be an issue, as the top schools basically are quite far from where I stay ( very northern part). So the culture will be my top consideration.
Otherwise, I will balance the distance, academic and culture are equal important to me.

chengsmummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Huang » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:09 am

Hi chengsmummy,

Yes, I would have to agree. But what about culture? I mean there are posts that talk about the RI-RJC culture, the HCI culture, the ACS-ACJC culture. What I find hard to convince my relative is the fact that this will actually affect the kid more than academic (am I wrong to say this?)

Huang
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby daisyt » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:08 pm

chengsmummy wrote:If the kid's PSLE score is high enough for IP schools, the distance of the school will not be an issue, as the top schools basically are quite far from where I stay ( very northern part). So the culture will be my top consideration.
Otherwise, I will balance the distance, academic and culture are equal important to me.
I am in the same line as chengsmummy :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby chengsmummy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:17 pm

Huang wrote:Hi chengsmummy,

Yes, I would have to agree. But what about culture? I mean there are posts that talk about the RI-RJC culture, the HCI culture, the ACS-ACJC culture. What I find hard to convince my relative is the fact that this will actually affect the kid more than academic (am I wrong to say this?)

I would suggest your relative to visit some of the schools during the open house period(May to June every year), from there, he may get some feeling of the school's culture.

chengsmummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Huang » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:48 pm

Hi chengsmummy and daisyt. Thank you for your replies!

Will ask him to do that. But anything in particular things to look out for? CCAs, awards anything else?

Cause he is a "first-time" secondary parent. Any advice from the guru's out there?

Huang
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby schellen » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:56 am

Huang wrote:Hi chengsmummy and daisyt. Thank you for your replies!

Will ask him to do that. But anything in particular things to look out for? CCAs, awards anything else?

Cause he is a "first-time" secondary parent. Any advice from the guru's out there?

Besides your friend's needs/opinion, shouldn't your friend ask his child for the child's needs/opinion too? After all, the person going to the school is the child.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby luckystar » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:17 am

If the child had keep up a good result thru out the years,RI,RGS,HCI,NYGH,NUSH,ACSI -- choose among these branded school based on distance. Cause these are the hottest school among the geps and high achivers.

If the child has an average results -- choose the school nearer to home based on his/her result. I am sure you can list out few school nearer to home.

Finally, you got to consider the CCA, talent of the child, boy only or girl only school.

luckystar
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby daisyt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:22 am

When selecting sec school last year, it was a joint decision between me and my girl. Based on her result, I listed out my criterias and she listed down the schools she liked which were within my criterias.

We went to 3 schools open house and made the following observations.

1) Culture of the school
- the students converse more in English or Mandarin
- the notice boards of a few CCAs, how were they presented ?
- the performance of the CCAs during the open house, eg how well the students know their CCAs and present their CCAs.
- the classrooms decorations and cleaness. From the decos, you can more or less tell if the students are bonded to their class and feel at home.

2) Environment of the school
- the toilets are well maintained ?
- the environment of the school, homely ? comfortable ?
- very important, the canteen. Are there many variaty of foods ? Its very important because your kids would eat in school for breaks and lunches.

3) The students
- the behaviour and attitute of the students
- how helpful, how polite, how far can they make us have the homely feeling
- their attitire, how neatly they wear the uniform, school shoes, hair style

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby joconde » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:29 am

so does that mean all sec schs will have open houses after PSLE ? where can i check the exact dates ?

joconde
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection