PSLE Prelim

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

PSLE Prelim

Postby Sahimi » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:00 pm

Can we calculate our own T-score base on school prelim result?

Sahimi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

PSLE T-Score

Postby NIEtrainedTEACHER » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:09 pm

Hi there Sahimi,

It is not possible to calculate the T-score based on the prelim result because, the T-score is actually the average score gathered from the entire P6 co-hort in Singapore sitting for PSLE that year.

Also, the T-score would also take into consideration of the outliers in the final graph plotted based on the entire result.

So, the prelim T-score, if you manage to calculate that, would be inaccurate as it would only be for that particular school alone.

Hope this helps.

Regards

NIEtrainedTEACHER
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby daisyt » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:49 pm

From my understanding, the schools would calculate and let you know the prelim scores, of course its not T-scores. But not all schools would do that. And a few colleagues told me, based on the prelim scores, add between 15 to 20 marks, that can roughly be your PSLE T-scores. Of course, all these are just "aunties" lunch time talk. For these "aunties" children's history, seem to be proven quite accurate. For my girl, PSLE T-scores is abt 23 marks higher than prelim. :D :D BUT I am not aunty. Hahaha ..... :wink: :wink:

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PSLE T-Score

Postby NIEtrainedTEACHER » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:13 pm

Yup, for prelim score, you can calculate that. The concept of adding 15 - 20 marks to your prelim score is what generally people will do.

However, there is a pitfall of doing that which I think most parents should be aware of. If for that year, the Singapore's P6 co-hort does very well for that paper, then the adding of marks would generally be wrong. In this case, a mark of 80 may only be 65 - 70 after computing using the T-score.

Regards.

NIEtrainedTEACHER
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby turquoise » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:49 pm

But not all schools calculate prelim scores.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Anxiousmom » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:28 am

turquoise wrote:But not all schools calculate prelim scores.

In fact during SA1, my dau's sch did give them a computation of the Standard deviation and the mean marks for parents to do their own calculation based on their level in the report book. They will be doing likewise for SA2. (She is in Pr 5 this year). The principal claimed that they hv done this for the past 2-3 years and claimed that its quite accurate. The deviation from their prelium T score is bout +-5 marks from their PSLE T scores

Anxiousmom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Countdown for PSLE

Postby Sahimi » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:51 pm

It is about 22 days to PSLE. How should I help my boy. Should he be doing top school exam papers or drill on the sections that he is weak in.
Is sad that my boy is not good in languages although he reads alot of books. During his prelim this year, he score only 71 marks for his English written paper. But thks God that his teacher told him that he score about 37 out of 40 for his compo which at least help him to score 81 marks for overall. Really don't know how to help him to improve both his English and Chinese written paper although his Chinese compo is as goood as English compo. I really don't understand why he is able to do well in his compo but not written paper??????

Sahimi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Countdown for PSLE

Postby Jennifer » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:55 pm

Sahimi wrote:It is about 22 days to PSLE. How should I help my boy. Should he be doing top school exam papers or drill on the sections that he is weak in.
Is sad that my boy is not good in languages although he reads alot of books. During his prelim this year, he score only 71 marks for his English written paper. But thks God that his teacher told him that he score about 37 out of 40 for his compo which at least help him to score 81 marks for overall. Really don't know how to help him to improve both his English and Chinese written paper although his Chinese compo is as goood as English compo. I really don't understand why he is able to do well in his compo but not written paper??????

From my boy's experience, he lost the most marks in the section "synthesis and transformation" and "open ended compreh". Are these the sections your boy is weak in?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby turquoise » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:28 pm

Anxiousmom wrote:
turquoise wrote:But not all schools calculate prelim scores.

In fact during SA1, my dau's sch did give them a computation of the Standard deviation and the mean marks for parents to do their own calculation based on their level in the report book. They will be doing likewise for SA2. (She is in Pr 5 this year). The principal claimed that they hv done this for the past 2-3 years and claimed that its quite accurate. The deviation from their prelium T score is bout +-5 marks from their PSLE T scores

Which school is this?

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Countdown for PSLE

Postby Sahimi » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:06 pm

Jennifer wrote:
Sahimi wrote:It is about 22 days to PSLE. How should I help my boy. Should he be doing top school exam papers or drill on the sections that he is weak in.

From my boy's experience, he lost the most marks in the section "synthesis and transformation" and "open ended compreh". Are these the sections your boy is weak in?

Yes and vocabulary cloze as well.

Sahimi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection