Express or Normal stream

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Express or Normal stream

Postby janice_koh » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:29 pm

If my child is eligible for both Express and Normal stream; can I make a choice for both in the 6th choices of Sec sch? Does the online system allow this input?

janice_koh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mathsparks » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:36 pm

hi janice_koh,
Have you received a copy of the Part1 booklet on choosing sec school? Take a look at Reference A which is the S1 Option Form.

You've to indicate under section b, 6 schools according to yr choice. Then select course option of Express or Normal (Acad).

So it looks like once you've indicated express, it means that you're opting for express stream of these 6 schools.

There's no option where you can indicate for eg school A, you opt for Express and for school B you opt for normal.

Hope this helps.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kuzco » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:09 pm

My son's school still has not given out Booket 1. I wonder what's taking them so long...... :?

kuzco
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janice_koh » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:46 am

I think we should be able to combine Express/Normal options; just wonder how the online selection works. Anyone out there can enlighten us please?

Booklet 2 is coming out mid Oct, please take note... :roll: getting a bit excited now.

janice_koh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby caroline3sg » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:40 am

I would think generally all 6 choices is either express or normal.

But different sch have different cutoff points for express & normal.
Eg: Sch A 200 for express, below 200 is normal.
Sch B 188 for express.

So I think better to call to MOE to ask.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janice_koh » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:56 am

hmm...shld be able to combine. any teachers out there that can help us?

janice_koh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Ogima » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:25 am

need advice here too...your are inputs greatly appreciated.

BPGH = autonomous since 1994, Express > 244, Normal > 192

YTSS = autonomous in 2010, Express > 237.

the above is based on last year aggregate range.

for example, if your child score is 240...

Would you want your child to enlist in an autonomous school with good long track records...but in a NORMAL stream. I understand that there is still a chance to promote to EXPRESS if his result is good in sec 1& 2....

OR.....

enlist the child to a newly promoted autonomous school in EXPRESS stream ?

I am really looking forward to my child studying in a local U. Hence, choosing the right Secondary school & Pre-U studies is the precedence.

note : the schools mentioned are an example....the point acrossed is a "good" school but in NORMAL stream....or a "normal" school but Express ?

Ogima
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby tutormum » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:17 am

The cut off point to opt for express course is 188. If your child scores 187, he can't opt for express course. However, I understand that some schools are willing to put the child in the express course if it's only 1 or 2 points difference upon parents' request. Whether it's better to put your child in the good school but normal stream depends on your child. If he's good but due to his poor performance in the PSLE, which may not be a fair estimate of his ability, I'll strongly recommend that he opt for normal stream and get promoted to the express stream based on his sec 1 results. I know of a boy who did just that. Not only did he top his level in sec 1 and get into the express stream, he did very well for his O level. However, it is tougher on the kids in Normal stream than Express stream actually. The main obstacle is to overcome the stigma to be in the Normal stream and their confidence is bruised. Also, they have to work a lot harder to prove themselves esp if they want to get into the Express stream. If they can't get in due to their Sec 1 results, there is actually little hope to try to get in based on their Sec 2 results. Usually, the school required an overall 75% for the transition.

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:01 pm

I would opt for Express.

Seem harder to be promoted from Normal to Express. Subject to good academic results

Why go through this 'ordeal' if given a choice to choose?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby caroline3sg » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:11 pm

I called to MOE a while ago.

All 6 choices must be either express or normal acad. Cannot half express, half normal acad.

The range of 185 - 199 would be those eligible to choose either express or normal acad. To me, I feel that those 200 - 219 would be at a disadvantaged because there are no reasonable schools as compared to those 199 who can choose very good sch offering normal acad.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection