The REAL cost of an IP education

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

The REAL cost of an IP education

Postby ilovelaksa » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:36 pm

Hi, I am curious how much it actually costs to attend an IP sch.
I overheard a neighbour sometime back that it costs her almost a 1k a mth to send her ds to ACS Indep. But I though their sch fees are just about $400. That was when her ds just entered that sch.
I understand school fees in the top few IP sch are high. With EESIS, the sch fees is $120. But is that the 'real' amount a parent pays?
Currently, we pay <$20 mthly (I think It's $18) for a Victoria IP education. Along the way, there's no other extra costs.
The IP class sizes are also not big (about 22-24 in a class), is that true for other IP schools as well?
I enquired and was told the Pre-U side will also be similarly priced.
Appreciate if any of you could enlighten me on this.

ilovelaksa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: The REAL cost of an IP education

Postby kiasuson » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:45 pm

ilovelaksa wrote:Hi, I am curious how much it actually costs to attend an IP sch.
I overheard a neighbour sometime back that it costs her almost a 1k a mth to send her ds to ACS Indep. But I though their sch fees are just about $400. That was when her ds just entered that sch.
I understand school fees in the top few IP sch are high. With EESIS, the sch fees is $120. But is that the 'real' amount a parent pays?
Currently, we pay <$20 mthly (I think It's $18) for a Victoria IP education. Along the way, there's no other extra costs.
The IP class sizes are also not big (about 22-24 in a class), is that true for other IP schools as well?

The fee will depend on the school. Independent School like ACSI, RI, HCI, RGS, NYGH, NUSH will charge from $240 to $320 per month for SC. PR will pay more. EESIS is only $2400 per year. My eldest DS in RI Year 5(JC1) and I am paying about $120 since Year 1. Class sizes depends on school..

kiasuson
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:51 pm

ilovelaksa wrote:Hi, I am curious how much it actually costs to attend an IP sch.

School fees for ACS Independent IP programme Year 1-4 for a Singaporean are $300 plus $45 for misc fees. Total $345. Not the amount your neighbour stated. Is your neighbour's kid studying at ACS International? That one costs a lot more.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:44 pm

ACS intl is around $20+k a year.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby gsp_lau » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:26 pm

DHS, RVHS, NJC, These IP school fee $28 per month

gsp_lau
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby osim » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:14 am

Could that neighbor be sending his kid for many tuition and consider that as part of the IP costs?

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jedamum » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:53 am

Are exam fees for independent IP schools chargeable?
If yes, yearly? If for major big exams only, roughly how much per sitting ?
Cca any fees?
Camp fees?
How about NJC boarding fees?
Did I miss out anything else?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ilovelaksa » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:54 am

jtoh wrote:School fees for ACS Independent IP programme Year 1-4 for a Singaporean are $300 plus $45 for misc fees. Total $345. Not the amount your neighbour stated. Is your neighbour's kid studying at ACS International? That one costs a lot more.

He is in ACS Independent. I was also rather shocked by the cost. The thing is her child and mine had the same PSLE score but what a tremendous difference in school fees.
Like what osim said, it could be due to the extra tuition that he has.
I can't understand how IP students can factor in time for tuition. Ever since my ds got into IP, he was not able to find much time for projects/assignments, let alone tuition. I was very worried his Geog tutor will one day throw in the towel bcos I kept changing and cancelling tuition time.

ilovelaksa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jtoh » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:37 am

ilovelaksa wrote:
jtoh wrote:School fees for ACS Independent IP programme Year 1-4 for a Singaporean are $300 plus $45 for misc fees. Total $345. Not the amount your neighbour stated. Is your neighbour's kid studying at ACS International? That one costs a lot more.

He is in ACS Independent. I was also rather shocked by the cost. The thing is her child and mine had the same PSLE score but what a tremendous difference in school fees.
Like what osim said, it could be due to the extra tuition that he has.
I can't understand how IP students can factor in time for tuition. Ever since my ds got into IP, he was not able to find much time for projects/assignments, let alone tuition. I was very worried his Geog tutor will one day throw in the towel bcos I kept changing and cancelling tuition time.

Your son is in an IP school too? Independent or non-independent? What are the extra costs for you aside from school and misc fees?

ACSI conducts yearly overseas trips so perhaps your neighbour factors this in as well.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Dreamgear » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:12 am

CHS is $15 a month.

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection