DSA 2013

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
silverhorse
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:6

Re: All About Direct School Admission (DSA)

Post by silverhorse » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:56 am

alng wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:
Lbetter wrote: I do agree. Most of children need the extra help from outside to get good PSLE scores. I heard that average score of the 1st class of Rulang was more than 260 in PSLE for the past a few years. Do you think those pupils have much higher IQ? I don't think so. I heard they did huge amount of exam papers and excercises even starting from lower primary stage.
If average score of the 1st class of Rulang is more than 260, what is the average score of the 1st class in NYPS? 270? Just curious....
The part on the first class of Rulang is correct (at least correct 4 years ago). I remember seeing a video (about 4 years ago) whereby 3/4 of the first class (ie about 30 students) scored above 260. But Rulang's overall average was only 210+ then (from one of their HODs 4 years ago). What does this tell us? Rulang is only forcusing on its first class. I do not agree with such a practice. I hope the new principal will focus on more students.

In another primary school I know, there are about 20 students (less than Rulang) with above 260 annually but that school's average has been 230+ every year. This school focuses on all its students.
My DS1 is in P5 in Rulang this year. He is in the mixed-ability class and so far, his time in Rulang have a stressful one. Yes, the 1st class have all the bright students but they have 2 times loads of homework than the others. Since P3, before every SAs, they are given at least 4-5 revision papers. I do not have to print past years' papers for him to do. Homework at P5 is crazy, do till 11pm on certain days. So, I tell him to do his best. I can only lower my expectations of him. But results speak. for PSLE 2012, 22% of the cohort scored more than 250. 11 students scored 270 and above. 100% of those taking standard papers made it to secondary schools. So, I will be glad if my DS1 can make it to express stream in neighbourhood secondary schools. I think i shouldn't stress him that much. the homework load in Rulang can kill.

Candy08
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Candy08 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:56 am

Hi All,

Just want to find out if anyone knows if RGS selection test out now Or if they are conducting interviews?

Thanks a lot.

Lock
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:11

Post by Lock » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:24 pm

Anyone receive news from MGS for interview? Is the selection results out yet?

cleotang
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by cleotang » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:55 pm

reading previous posts in this thread, in 2011, NYGH sent results at 7/30, and in 2012, they sent results as late as 8/21. For RGS, as early as 7/30 in 2011 and as late as 8/23 in 2012

Guess when for this year? considering the delay due to haze...

Happyproblemer
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Happyproblemer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:20 pm

DS going for Catholic High School interview on Thursday 1st August. Any tips, anyone!!??

justcoping
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by justcoping » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:17 pm

Candy08 wrote:Hi All,

Just want to find out if anyone knows if RGS selection test out now Or if they are conducting interviews?

Thanks a lot.
They are still conducting interviews presently.

Cowiemama
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Cowiemama » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:20 pm

How about RI? Has the DSA process finished or still ongoing?
Anyone receives news on the outcome?

SunshineGherkin
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by SunshineGherkin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:26 pm

Dear justcoping

May I know whether the interviews that RGS is conducting presently is for GEP students or the mainstreamers selected after the half day academic selection test?

Thank you.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:108

Post by jtoh » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:32 pm

The GEP interviews are done already.

25hr mama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:11

Post by 25hr mama » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:41 pm

Based on selection process schedule, NYGH conducts interviews from 15 Jul–7 Aug.
Not sure abt RGS though.