IP or O-Level?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Which is better?

Total votes : 19

IP or O-Level?

Postby kiasuparentsirock » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:22 am

What are the pros and cons of the IP & O-level?

Re: IP or O-Level?

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:14 am

I'm sure other will have thought more deeply about this, but since I just went through this decision for my younger daughter a couple of years ago, these are my reasons:

1. No 'O' levels means that time spent doing revision (a huge chunk of Sec 4) is reduced. Hopefully, this extra time will be used for additional learning and other activities. [Unique to my daughter: we only returned to Singapore in mid-Yr2 so it also means more time for adjustment and catch-up before hitting a major exam.]

2. Downside of no 'O' levels is that the child must be fairly sure of making it through to 'A' levels/IB or the highest qualification attained would be PSLE!

3. Downside to IP: the schools which have this system run it as an accelerated programme, so it's not suitable for students who need more time and a gentler pace. There may be a danger of kids who survive IP thinking too highly of themselves.

4. Pro for IP: more activities get packed into the programme which is fun and challenging for kids who can take the faster pace.

Just a few of my thoughts.

PS. I have not voted as whether it is 'better' depends on the child. I chose IP for one child but not for the other.

Postby wonderm » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:12 am

I didn't like the almost a year-long revision for O Level for myself. And we (I and the DC) didn't enjoy the revision for PSLE too. They had the motivation to do well in PSLE to qualify for IP so that they have one less major exam to do revision for, and more time for real learning.

Postby Jovialcho » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:03 am

+1 for ip...

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection